on 11 August 2012
I looked long an hard for a quality compact camera and came down to the same usual 3 as the web pundits; Canon S100, Olympus xz-1 and the Nikon P310 (the Lumix L5 being too old and the Sony too expensive).

Most of the web reviews led you to the Canon or the Olympus in favour of the Nikon. I was temped to both for a while. The Olympus has a fast lens across the range but you pay for that in size. It also has, for me, an unnecessary hot shoe (fast lens). This destroys the smooth pocketable lines of a compact camera.

The Canon ticked a lot of the boxes except price; you pay heavily for the larger sensor. On top there is now a big question mark on Canon's quality control with the major lens failure issue. Canon play this down but read the web chatter on this.

I therefore opted for the Nikon P310 and I'm glad I did. OK there's no RAW option but hey I've a SLR with that and never use it. It has a smaller sensor to the Canon and Olympus but the state of the art technology behind it gives excellent results. Another big plus is the high definition rear screen which knocks spots off the others.

So unless you are a die hard RAW user wanting poster sized prints the P310 is the best out there and you're left with up to £100 in your pocket.
on 18 January 2013
Previously owned Nikon P5100 which was well specced but slow. Bought as a replacement. Read reviews which criticised relatively small sensor, lack of RAW capture compared with Canon S110 and Lumix LX7. The improvement on the earlier camera is significant. The wide f1.8 aperture and CMOS sensor make for superb low light shots mainly without the need for flash. Flash discreet but gives superb coverage. Only operates when you activate it! Manual controls are a blessing to a creative photogragher. Operation slick and much quicker than my P5100. The quality of the photograghs taken are clear and well resolved. Sensor and RAW debate appears to be fuelled by people who completely miss the point of the camera - it is not a DSLR but is a fine alternative when travelling light or used as a back-up. For the price paid in Dec 2012 -£182, compared with its competitors, I consider this camera to be an outstanding purchase.
on 27 August 2013
The wife and me took it on honeymoon and it was perfect for capturing those special moments over dinners ect, it has a bit of a hefty price tag, but you do pay for what you get when it comes to cameras... unless your into lo-fi stuff, then you pay tons for stuff that was as cheap as chips 5 years ago... anyway, it is well worth the price!

Want something easy to use, easy to store and give great pictures? This is for you!
on 11 November 2012
I have a little hobby, its taking pictures. So I own 2 SLRS, (both Sony) one compact system camera (Panasonic G3 ) and I bought this as my point and shoot. Well its brilliant, in fact I don't even bother with the G3 anymore, as the Nikon does every it does and in a much smaller package. If you are after just the one camera that does everything and don't want to spend an arm and a leg then you won't go far wrong with this.
on 16 April 2013
This is great, so easy to operate and even for a rank beginner like myself it takes good pictures even in low light without a flash, the results are outstanding. I bought this on the recommendation of a friend who is camera savvy, he has one for day to day to day use and is impressed with the quality. Very easy to connect to a pc, I also bought a 32Gb memory card to go with it so I can take lots of pictures at high resolution and discard the ones I don't like (or made mistakes with) leaving plenty left to use and keep in my collection. One of my better buys!
on 7 November 2012
best compact camera ever. no need for dslr, does what it says on box.Have nikon d2 and d200,leave these
heavy lumps at home now(still good though) use my p310 easy to use plus cmos sensor fantastic image quality,buy one and enjoy.Good in low light aswell leave tripod at home.
on 10 December 2012
This is one of the best point and shoot cameras available now.
After doing the usual hour or two of research this camera came on top of most lists.
I was not disappointed, the pictures are extremely sharp, especially on the fantastic screen.
Low light footage is very good, and as a result the flash is hardly needed, which helps with the good battery life.
The only con I could find is that the macro shots are not as impressive as my old camera, but that is due to design differences as it had a fixed lens.
On a side note my camera came with a European plug, and after contacting the seller I was given a £5 refund... better than nothing but a bit of a hassle...
TLDR: Great camera at the price, out performs all similar cameras.
on 11 February 2013
Hopefully quality cameras like this will always be made but i have my doubts as most people now seem to use their phones to take pictures. This piece of kit looks classy and performs brilliantly as you would expect from a long established Japanese company. So for me it,s no contest phones is phones but if you want to take a great picture or video you really need to buy something that was designed to do just that!
on 14 October 2012
Really love this camera, am a Nikon fan anyway but wanted a camera that was for weekends away, events etc as have my SLR for the big holiday's & scenery. It's not too small but not too big so fine for a small bag & was great on a recent trip to Paris, wanting something not looking too grand someone might want to nick! Really easy to use, lots of choice on the 'scene' settings and quality of images great. I also love it in white! very cool.
on 1 May 2013
The lens is fantastic. Works in most light conditions. Gives excellent pictures, wonderfully sharp, professional level of performance. For a camera that fits in your pocket it gives results that are outstanding and beats many SLR cameras of a similar price.