on 12 July 2013
first of all the positive aspects of this camera.it is well designed and looks good and the dials are easy to navigate.it boasts 16.1 mp and a quality nikkor 26x optical zoom lens.the AA battery system works well but you do have to buy your own 4 rechargeable batteries and charger, once the ones supplied run out. you can operate the zoom function when in movie mode. in good lighting conditions the results are very satifactory.now for the negative points! the printed instructions are not comprehensive enough. it is slow to switch on and has too long a delay when taking pictures and in storing them, despite using a sandisk extreme 111 SDHC card, so not good for action photography.it is much slower than my lumix LX3. when employing the impressive telephoto function it struggles to focus properly. in poor lighting conditions the image quality drops below acceptable levels. overall i am disappointed with this camera and if i could choose again i would probably look at a lumix equivalent.in the mean time i will persevere with it and hopefully squeese out some better results within its limitations.
on 23 December 2013
This is quite simply one of the best value, high quality digital SLRs out there. I had photographs taken with an earlier version of it published in calendars in 2005. The main downside is that it's a bit complicated to use and not very intuitive, hence four stars instead of five. Should also come with a lot more memory and a memory card.
on 2 May 2017
great deal
on 2 September 2012
Firstly I have to say that I was most impressed with the delivery on this, I received it less than 24 hours after placing the order.

I bought this camera for my daughter's 16th birthday, after much reading of reviews of this and other bridge cameras. She wanted somthing with a bit more versatility than her little point and shoot, but not too complicated, and this sounded perfect. She used it on holiday in Cyprus, and the results are superb, lovely clear images, and gorgeous colours, and some lovely close up shots of flowers and lizards, using zoom and macro mode.

The negatives that people have mentioned, the fact that the battery cover is a bit hard to close, but hopefully it will get easier, and if you want to view your images immediately, you have to wait a few seconds, but we havent found it a big issue, and it certainly hasn't hampered the enjoyment or the quality of the camera. All I can say is I want one now!
0Comment| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 July 2014
Very ggod camera. I used it for my holidays and took amacing pictures.
The delivery was brilliant.
on 14 May 2017
You can pick up these for very reasonable amounts nowadays and as long as you are patient can get very good results. Those wanting to use the video would be better with the L820 or L830, though you might pay a bit more for those. They have full HD 1080 on video, whereas this is 720p. The L820 is also faster and has less issues with its auto focus than the L810. But for the kinds of money this comes up secondhand for, it has to be worth considering. Good build quality and if you get a decently maintained camera from a seller, it will be good value for money. Rechargeable batteries and chargers are not expensive these days - even Bargain discount stores do them! Get a set and a spare and away you go - happy days shooting.
on 21 July 2012
This camera is a very pleasant surprise.

I got it for a super price, from a different seller. I have only had it for 2 days. I am quite a experienced photographer, yet this is only ever with digital compact cameras.

I read reviews, and saw that it had problems with blur etc. I decided to go for it anyway, because of the amazing price.

A minus is no viewfinder, this would be great as the zoom and image sensor(16mp) is incredibly powerful, But I knew it didn't have one so I knew what I was getting into.

There is a slight bit of blur, but YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO HOLD IT PROPERLY! I first tried it and I got many bad shots, yet after a little bit of practice, you can nail every shot, and if you get good, then you can get some real crackers that look well over professional, again due to the fact that is has a 16MP sensor.

For example, when I first got it, I took it out to take some photos and it was blurry and frustrating. If you hold it with your right hand over the trigger where it would normally be, then position your left hand under the scope bit so that your thumb controls the side zoom, then it will be sure to give you great shots. For example, I took it to a raceway and took some great shots of cars moving really fast, and as long as you left it focus and give it time, you can get an amazing shot.

A HUGE benefit is the VR. I dismissed it as some trash that won't work, but it REALLY helps you get some good shots, you just have to let it kick in.

The build quality is exceptional, with a strong body and beautiful solid buttons. One TINY little thing is that the side zoom lever is a tiny bit loose and does not give you a confident pull on it.

The screen is VERY good for the price, it is the same pixel density as some of the cameras out there which cost £500.

So, On the whole, it is a GREAT camera for the budget and it takes a bit of getting used to, but when you get the hang of it, you get some AMAZING professional-looking photographs.

A personal recommendation would be to get some 2000 mAh or more batteries, this will give you a huge amount of shots on one charge. Also, to solve the slow save speed etc, Get a class 10 card. Then, make sure you sort out a folder on your PC to transfer and keep up to date with it. Otherwise you could find that you run out of memory quick!

UPDATE-

After having it for a good while now I have dropped one star from it. This is because of the hugely unreliable autofocus. At full zoom, it can't focus at all. I wanted to take some photos of the moon, and even on a tripod, it wouldn't focus. At all.

Another problem is from time to time the screen will go black, as it if has took a shot. But it actually goes straight back to the screen and later takes a photo.

For all of those that feel strongly (I had high hopes for this camera), then I would advise you to contact Nikon and pressure them to DEVELOP AND RELEASE SOME FIRMWARE FOR IT. It is not hard for them, and as a customer, you really deserve your product to work well. I am now highly critical of Nikon for not noticing and taking heed to the reviews which dictate that there is huge problems with its focus.

That said, it can take some cracking photos at macro-mid zoom, better than my friend's two thousand pound DSLR, because you don't have to have an array of lenses to do so, making it great for a budding photographer.

Also, as I said before, the VR (Vibration reduction) is INCREDIBLE. It is lens-shift, not sensor-shift, which makes it worth while. Huge bonus for this camera.
on 7 July 2012
A very good choice. We were looking for a reasonably priced, high quality camera with a powerful optical zoom and the Nikon L810 fits the bill perfectly. The 3 inch screen can be seen clearly inn strong sunlight, something we have never had before. We are looking forward to doing some competitive photography with this model.
on 2 February 2013
I have the L110 and this is the newer version. It is a winner. This was a gift for my wife who wants a more flexible camera than a compact but does not want the weight of an SLR. Even if you have an SLR, when you just want to grab a camera to put over your shoulder as you go out, this is much more flexible, lightweight, cost effective. In particular:
Enormous zoom range
Good close up ability e.g. Flowers, insects
Vibration reduction works well
Good quality sensor
Good optical quality bearing in mind the zoom range
The presets for scenes work well
Gts the white balance, exposure, focus right

I would have preferred a custom made lithium battery, but they all seem to use AA cell, I don't know why. A small point. Get good rechargeables or you will spend a lot of money.

Go for it and get shooting.
on 12 February 2013
This camera replaced a compact camera, so glad I bought it. Shots are so good, it's like being there. Brilliant!