Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.63

on 18 September 2007
I found the book easy to read and certainly had some clever ideas for the more magical aspects, however, I did find it quite niggling that, as one reviewer has already mentioned there were similarities with Potter that actually could have easily been avoided. For example Jenna's pet rock "Petroc Trelawney" and she actually had a character with a similar name to Weasley. I know they are not big things but they were a few irksome items that took my mind away from this book and into Potter. There of course is as well the storyline similarities of the evil wizard plotting a comeback and the young boy just discovering his true magical talents who is the one to fight him.

Despite this I think the series, so far, is a fabulous read for the age group it is marketed to. The younger audience will most likely not take notice of any of the things that niggled at me and take it at face value as a good story. Perhaps those of us a bit older are just hoping to find our next Potter - the series that crosses over into the adult market with a new and challenging tale.
on 27 June 2005
I started to read Magyk with my son of ten. He went to bed at midnight as he could not keep his eyes open any longer and I continued to read all night!! I was so sorry the next morning when the book was finished and can't wait to read book 2. As I write this my son is lying on the floor, which is where he has been all evening, and is reading the book avidly. What wonderful story.
on 27 July 2006
Oh this is one of them rare books where every moment curled up between the pages is a moment in pure joy! I was devestated when it ended and desperatly seeking book nr 2.

The story tells of the Heap family, who one lifechanging night looses their newborn son, but by twists of fate they adopt an orphan girl that very same night. But things arent always as it seems, and people arent always who they say they are! The girl is the heir to the throne, overtaken by the evil necromancer. And now he wants the "Queenling" dead once and for all. The Heaps have to split up and hide together with the extraordinary wizard. And together they need to find out how to get the throne back, without getting killed! Meanwhile their lost son (which by the way is the 7th son of the 7th son) Septimus Heap, who were supposed to have died that fateful night 10 years ago, reappears as the evil Necromancer's apprentice! ...oh dear!

I know... its sounds... NOT that good. But oh... it is! Fair enough some characters lack alittle depth, but its such a huge character gallery (The Heaps have 8 children) but its okay. Really it didnt bother me one bit! The beginning and the end is a bit clishè, but you see... thats not what makes this book! This book is ALL about the journey from page one to page 576! Its funny, cute and Angie has great skill when it comes to describing happenings and action, seen from more than one pair of eyes! Its like your favorite film, yes you know how it starts and how it'll end, but that doesnt make you love it any less! Because you love the journey it takes you on! And thats exactly how Magyk felt like!

I beg of you... just try it out! You will be hooked!
on 11 May 2009
It's a great book, fun and very entertaining!

But adults be warned, it is aimed at a slightly younger audience than Potter or His Dark Materials. This might grate on some adults that are looking for a more challenging read but I admired the lively way that the author spoke to her audience.

Some accusations of unoriginality have been thrown at the book, but to be fair Petroc Trewlawny is named after a real-life Radio 3 presenter. Equally the young boy discovering magical talents to beat the evil wizard (or evil leader/evil despot/evil king) is as old the hills. In fact when George Lucas used the plot device in Star Wars he was relying heavily on the theory of monomyth suggested by Joseph Campbell (who was an anthrolpologist who suggested that there is essentially a common story with an archetypal hero). I have read widely in the genre and see the Heap books as no more unoriginal than Rowling.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 October 2006
If you've been looking for a series that combines the magic of Harry Potter with the imaginative characters of Artemis Fowl, then Septimus Heap and his first book, MAGYK, is definitely the story for you. A quick, delightful read that can stand on its own, MAGYK is, without a doubt, an intriguing page-turner.

Septimus Heap, the seventh son of a seventh son, died shortly after birth. Born to a family of Wizards, there's no telling what he might have become, as his lineage as a seventh son would have made him unbelievably magical. But on that winter night when Septimus died, his father, Silas, found another newborn child in the forest. They named her Jenna, and she grew up thinking that she was the daughter of Silas and Sarah Heap, and the sister of six older brothers--Simon, Sam, Edd, Erik, Nicko, and Jo-Jo. Early on, though, Sarah had her own ideas of who Jenna really was, especially when she heard the news that the Queen had been murdered. Jenna Heap was, undoubtedly, the Princess.

Over the next ten years, darkness came to the Castle and the Ramblings, where the Heaps lived. With no Queen, evil came in the form of the Supreme Custodian, who along with his cohorts banned magic and ended the happiness the Queen's people had once known. As the Heap family attempt to ride out this time of darkness, the ExtraOrdinary Wizard, Marcia
Overstrand, learns of the plot to kill the Princess, which will allow evil to truly take over the Palace. It seems that the only thing keeping DomDaniel, the Dark Wizard, from returning to the Castle is the presence of the Princess, and he plans to remedy that.

What follows is the flight of Jenna, Nicko, the ExtraOrdinary Wizard, and a Young Army recruit known only as Boy 412 to the Marram Marshes, where Aunt Zelda Heap, a White Witch, will be able to keep them from harm. As events unfold and DomDaniel does everything within his power to track down the girl standing between him and a ruling darkness, the Heap
family will have to do everything within their means to stop him--and at the same time stay alive.

MAGYK is a delightful, entertaining story filled with action-adventure and fantasy. With a very large cast of characters who are as diverse as they come, this is one story not to be missed. If you like Harry Potter, you will definitely enjoy Septimus Heap. Filled with twists and turns, this is a story you'll stay up reading long into the night. And although at times predictable, you'll quickly be drawn into the life and times of the Heap family and their magical world.
[...]
on 3 September 2006
This book sits on my bookshelf, and unlike many of the others it doesn't gather dust. It's so full of quirky and amusing details everywhere you look that you can come back to it again and again, always laughing about something you didn't take in last time.

The use of "Magyk" is an interesting idea, different to the normal one word spells that most fantasy novels use nowadays. The unique spelling of some of the words annoyed me to begin with, but throughout the book I started to notice it less and less.

Although I started to suspect the ending about half way through, it was still a good mystery that remained throughout. A lovely hardback with a very attractive front cover, this is without a doubt one of my all time favourite books!
on 4 April 2006
I loved this book. If you enjoyed the Harry Potters and want to read something similar thats equally good Angie Sage has created a thrilling story that I couldn't put down. I'd reccomend this book for both Adults and Children who like fantasy stories.
on 22 June 2005
This book had me hooked from start to finish, I had bought it for my child but unfortunately for her I read the first page and that was it, she will have to read it next. My other daughter is last in the queue. The characters are excellent. The Heap family are wonderful, I would love to be a part of this family - well I do have green eyes! But it is the other characters such as the Boggart and especially the message rat Stanley that add richness and humour to the story.
JK Rowling needs the watch out, this book may even exceed Harry Potter. I can't wait for the next chapter in Septimus Heap's adventures which I hope will be long and as funny and varied as the first.
on 26 February 2013
Magyk - book one of the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage - conjured up a certain expectation in my mind before I started reading it: that of a young wizard in a medieval setting who has to fight against some other evil wizard. That's about as much as the blurb on my edition gives away.

So, I'm guessing new readers could be very surprised to find out that baby Septimus Heap 'dies' in the first few pages, and is instantly replaced by an orphaned baby girl that the patriarch of the Heap family, Silas, found laid out in the snow.

In the castle town that the Heap family call home, the Queen has been assassinated, and her newborn daughter has gone missing, leaving a vacuum of power in the castle. This is quickly filled by the Supreme Custodian, who rules in a rather more draconian fashion. Knowing that the princess may still be alive, he sends out regular squads to find her, and only just gets lucky when it turns out that ten year old Jenna Heap is really the missing princess.

Fleeing the town late at night with the ExtraOrdinary wizard Marcia and narrowly escaping a hunter, the Heap family (plus one child soldier) go their separate ways to avoid danger.

And from then on, this book is a whole load of fun. From a crazy aunt who keeps a cat-turned-duck and is friends with a swamp-dwelling Boggart, to a specialised network of messenger rats, to a dragon boat, and cases of mistaken identity mixed with missing princesses and seventh sons of seventh sons, this book was sheer joy to read. Incredibly imaginative and enjoyable, in fact.

So why has it been demoted down one star? Unfortunately, there are parts where the plot becomes kind of dull, focusing only on developments with the kids at the house in the marsh. I didn't know anything about what DomDaniel was plotting, Stanley's ordeal in prison, the Supreme Custodian's role in ruling the Castle and its town, Sarah and the other boys running through the forest, and what about that poor woman whose pub was burned down by the Hunter and his gang? Some things are explained in the story, yes, and amusingly enough there's a section at the back of the novel that covers the unseen events of all the aforementioned characters (and some other background characters, like the baby-snatching midwife who's responsible for the mix-up with Septimus), but I would have been much happier if this information had been weaved into the general narrative rather than a tacked-on addendum. 4/5.
on 2 October 2012
Just finished this on my Kindle. I was reluctant to buy it at first thinking it would just be a Harry Potter rip off, just somebody cashing in on the back of JK Rowling. However, curiosity got the better of me when I read a review here in which a lady said her 11-year-old son, who normally doesn't like to read, saw the book, asked his mum if she would buy it for him and then proceeded to read it almost non-stop. I am glad I did buy it. Like that 11-year-old boy I too wanted to keep reading it without putting it down. That review was written in June 2005, which means the boy subject in that review must be 18 by now - I feel old! >.< )

It seems to have been written so that young teenagers would enjoy it without getting bogged down in over zealous descriptions and intricate plots. It is a vary easy read.

The story seems to centre on the main character, though I guess you could say there are several main characters, who is simply known as Boy 412, a 10-year-old orphan who is conscripted into the Young Army. Captured by the enemy (or so he thinks) he refuses to utter a word throughout almost the entire story. He is wisked off from the castle he knows as home and becomes embroiled in a plot against the Extra-Ordinary wizard (who has "captured" him), a sort of chief wizard. I became quite attached to him and was hoping he would make it to the end.

I vary much enjoyed the story and as the story progressed I did start to figure out the ending, but it was still great to see it unfold before my eyes. It is totally different from Harry Potter, though there are one or two things that crop up in the story that remind you of Harry Potter (Boggarts and a character called Rupert Grinch - Rupert Grint who plays Ron Weasley in HP? >.< ) but that is where any similarity ends really.

I look forward to reading the sequel Flyte: Septimus Heap Book 2

Note on the Kindle version: Good formatting and only only typo that I saw right at the vary end where a Shield Bug is called a Shield Bag. Other than that; perfect.