Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.63

on 23 August 2017
The first book in the Septimus Heap chronicles. This is my second time of reading and I enjoyed them even more this time.It tells the story of Septimus who is the 7th son of a 7th son and, therefore, magykal! He is stolen from his mother, Sarah, as a newborn baby but is replaced by a newborn baby girl whom the Heaps bring up as their own. However, unbeknown to the Heaps, Septimus is placed in the 'Young Army' and, when he is old enough, he is sent on 'Do or Die' exercises. Does he get back with his family? You will have to read the book to find out!

There are 7 books in the series, each one as unputdownable as the previous one.

It truly is a Magykal story ! I bought the series of 7 books for my grandson, aged 10, who is enthralled. I am keeping my own set to read again, probably when I get to 80! (Now 73!) Get them all - you will not regret it! I prefer these books to Harry Potter!
on 11 August 2017
It's a very well written story around a family of wizards, it draws you in with it's twists and turns. In it's conclusion it leaves you satisfied yet wanting more & the next book in the series. This book was recommended to me by my wife, after discovering it in the library at the school she works at and reading it herself. Having read many fantasy stories and really enjoying this one. I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series, in fact I've already bought the next one on my kindle fire.
on 20 July 2017
A1
on 9 February 2017
good
on 21 May 2017
One of my book club chose this. Although it is a children's book, and as such was quite a contrast for me, I soon found myself really drawn in. I'm now on the 3rd in the series...
on 12 December 2012
It's ok if your a young'un, i should have taken the advice of one of the reveiwers earlier, 'saying dont bother with book one as it takes a long time to get going' how right they were, also it would appeal more to the young'uns cos its a bit corney in places and mamby pamby'ish, ive read half way and i dont suppose i'll carry on with it.
I normally buy good trilogy's and this is not one of them! And i'm glad i didn't buy the rest.
on 27 May 2009
I was surprised by this book. It started off seeming to be yet another fantasy adventure set in a fake medieval world, and I was all ready to think of it as derivative and formulaic. And then boy 412 leapt out of the book, pulled a sardine from under his red beanie hat and slapped my face with it repeatedly until I saw sense. . . Or rather nonsense. A rather delightful nonsense that was entertaining and very interesting.

This book is extremely funny. Some of that will only be clear to older readers - I got my 7 year old to read it and she has also enjoyed it immensely, but she missed some of the humour, so I guess the 9-11+ age group are ideal for this book, although I loved it as an adult too.

Some of the storyline is predictable even for children (my test group of one shows this), some is predictable for adults, but not necessarily for children (same test group!) But predictable or not, the story is just thoroughly entertaining, well written, and with a very beautiful ending that made me set down the book and blink away a tear before anyone dared accuse me of getting emotional over a story.

I thoroughly recommend this book, but I would venture to say the natural audience would be anyone who loved Harry Potter. The mixture of magic, humour and wry observations on life will surely appeal to the same readership.
on 14 April 2005
Bought this book in Tesco to read it on the train and I found myself almost missing my stop. It is a lighter read than Harry Potter and the author has some of Terry Pratchett's easy style.All sort of myths are in it - the seven son of the seven son; the lost and found princess; charms. The story follows the Heap family of ordinary wizards and the princess they brought up as their own after their seven son, of the seven son, apparently died shortly after birth.
Hope that the second book will be as good as this one.
on 25 June 2005
My eleven year old son has never been a reader but when he saw the cover of Magyk in tescos he asked me if I would buy it for him.Another wasted purchase I thought! However we had only travelled a few miles before he was completely engrossed! Words like brilliant,fantastic and can I go to bed early to read please were coming from the back of the car!!The chapters are fairly short,the pace is quick,add a touch of magyk,wizardry and evil and voila my son is hooked and waiting for the next instalment.I hope book two is as spellbinding!
on 20 January 2013
when i was 9 i read all of the septimus heap books. i think they are better than harry potter. septimus is an wizard who has adventures with Jenna and Beatle:)
these books ard really engrossing and very funny. you would love it.