on 10 December 2014
The beginning of this book has problems. They are mainly borne of the author's world building, in which he likes to repeat himself two or three times in case the reader missed something. This includes the sniper's procedure (the first time showed me military precision, the second almost identical description of a kill added nothing), explaining initialisms 2 or 3 times (though in fairness he throws so many unnecessary ones in, that might actually be necessary), and the slow pace that it dawns on supposedly experienced police, FBI and NSA officers that their bosses are using the killings as political capital to improve their lot rather than truly sharing information. These guys have so many years in their respective jobs, they should have peeled off and formed a renegade investigation cell far earlier than they did.
Once you get past the first 20% though, it rattles away nicely and tension actually starts to build as we follow the investigators trying to track down a lone-wolf sniper who is out to kill billionaires. Certain aspects of the middle of the book are done really well. The author's decision to not allow the sniper to get overly political (other than postcards stating 'I Kill Rich People' when there appears to be doubt as to whether the killings are racially motivated) is a good one. It adds to the mystery of the man and allows the reader to insert their own theories as to why he is doing what he is doing. I also liked the talk radio DJ, it makes a change to have a left-leaning shock jock in these kinds of things and allows the introduction of possible political motives through a third party. I also felt that the methods used by the rich establishment to try to silence him were very realistic.
On the downside, I don't buy that the sniper would be tempted by the investigators' plan to bring him down near the end. This is not a serial killer getting slowly more unhinged as we established in painful detail in the first few chapters, this guy is a killing machine. He would not risk trapping himself in a stadium, an empty stadium no less, where it is so easy to have his escape routes controlled, having always previously ensured he was out in the open with multiple options. I cannot imagine why, to a man, they all think the plan is so perfect.
The end has a nice twist though, and I look forward to reading the second book in the series. My main nagging doubt being that with books such as this I'm firmly cheering on the sniper, yet realistically I know it's never going to ultimately end well for him.
on 28 May 2012
Great story, great writing,loved it. fast paced thriller, look forward to the next book! Very believable characters and technical knowledge.
on 7 December 2014
I had this book free as part of a free-for-review deal and I honestly couldn't finish it. It was just so boring. The characters were bland, the writing was dull and it was overall not what I was expecting.
on 22 July 2012
Mike Bogin's story is interesting and realistic though it was in parts hard to follow and would benefit from further editing. Essentially it is a good read to pass some time. It made my commute go that little bit quicker.
on 20 June 2012
Poorly written; eratic plot; bad characterisation. As I generally make a habbit of finishing (most) novels I read, on this occasion, i found myself skimming through the meaningless sentences the author strung together. Simply put: the book is a waste of time.
on 8 November 2012
Started well with the killers perspective but so bored with the other character building. Got to the stage of shouting "who cares about the air con just get on with the killer v detectives". Too much filler.
on 24 July 2012
An unusual crime thriller and therefore enjoyable. Certainly not the usual run of the mill motive and a different style to most who don its. If you enjoy the genre this book will intrigue you.
on 5 December 2012
this book is so full of description it makes it very boring . I am determined 2 get 2 the end of it but will take a while as i read others in between .
on 26 December 2013
I really enjoyed this book and am eagerly awaiting the sequel. A very believable plot with an ending that has me wanting more.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 July 2012
Loved this book, seeing the action from both sides. I couldn't put it down. I would definately recommend this book to anyone.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse