on 28 August 2012
I have the original X-mini which I use loads at work and when I am out on a day trip, picnic, etc. My husband was talking about getting one for himself. We thought of getting another X-mini and when looking on Amazon, came across the Kai X-mini. We liked the idea of the Bluetooth element and also the in-built microphone which gave the added benefit of a speaker phone. As such, we thought we might as well get the Kai and both of us could use the two interchangeably.
The Kai is even smaller than the original X-mini and is about the size of a plum and fits neatly into a little bag that comes in the package. The pack also comes with the necessary wires to use the Kai without the Bluetooth element.
I initially had concerns regarding the Bluetooth connection and how easy it was to connect or how good a connection it would be. I was very much surprised. The connection was simple to set up, fool proof really. There was no dropping of connection and the sound quality was better than most Bluetooth link ups. I tried the speaker phone on the Kai as well and the clarity is quite impressive, this is useful when you need to have conference calls as the sound quality is much much better than trying to carry out a conference call on the iphone! The controls on the Kai are very neat - works to control not only the volume but the play and pause, and track skip as well.
I have just shown this to some workmates and they are thoroughly impressed by the volume and sound quality that comes from what appears to be ickle little speakers. They were even more impressed when we had our first conference call on it.
Although we were meant to share the two, I really enjoy the added uses of the Kai and as such, I think my husband will be using the original X-mini instead.
on 9 November 2013
Speakers today are changing constantly to match the needs of us music lovers. The evolution of speakers has been from huge sized speakers to tiny capsule speakers which have quality and loud sound. Nowadays we look for loud, small and portable, that is why the X-mini KAI Capsule speaker is the perfect speaker to buy!

The Singaporean manufacturer Xmi is probably the best company for small, portable and loud speakers. Its brand message clearly tells us what they are about; `Sound Beyond Size`. However it isn't only great for its sound and size but has a unique and award winning design to it, the X-Mini Kai has picked up the Red Dot design and iF design awards.

Sound quality

Well, a huge question you would ask about a speaker is "What does it sound like?" The sound has a clear and crisp quality to it. It allows you to listen to your favourite music without any horrible fuzziness. I like to listen to Hip Hop and as the speaker is a magnetically shielded 40mm this gives it several advantages one would be that I can still listen to my music and maintain the depth and intensity of the bass produced which many speakers lack. A great aspect of the magnetically shielded 40mm is that it can produce wider frequencies covering higher and lower sounds which results a reduced amount of distortion of sound.

However the only negative that I have encountered would be that the loudness could be slightly misunderstood. Don`t get me wrong, it is a loud speaker especially for its size but if you are looking for a speaker for your next house party this may not exactly do the job. For a standalone speaker of its size I think that it does a great job and I couldn't think of too many complaints about it.

Hardware

I can start off by talking about its size; it's small! The x-mini kai is small enough for me to easily hold in my hand like a tennis ball. It's roughly 2.5 inches in diameter and 2 inches tall. The battery life is pretty superior compared to other similar speakers of its size; it can be used for up to 8 solid hours under one charge! The top half of the speaker shelters the actual speaker cone and the bottom half covers the essential aspects of Bluetooth, power, wired audio switch, usb connection- audio & charging, mute button, audio/phone controls, status indicator LED, a tiny mic port, and a built-in 1/8-inch male audio connector with a five-inch tether. So lots of important features are built into the Kai speaker, not letting its size get in the way of that.

Overall Ratings

To conclude this short review of the X-Mini Kai capsule speaker I have to say that it is a GREAT speaker to buy. Never the less it has a few issues but Xmi are always trying to improve their products and be as innovative as possible, so I am sure that the next will be much better. I think that these speakers would be a fantastic buy for $99 especially if you love to have a good quality listen to your music portable without any hassle. Support X-Mini and help them get all the recognition deserved!
on 11 July 2012
I bought this having seen a friend's non-bluetooth version and, being thoroughly impressed and it being on special offer I decided to go for it. The packaging is nice, a transparent solid plastic case - looks and feels good quality. The sound is comparable to the non-bluetooth version - that is, impressive for the size (but not room filling deep bass). I will use it for travel and for conference calls. I was impressed at the speed and simplicity to hook it up to the ipad and the blackberry. Phone calls sound nice - not tinny. The all-in-one controls for the volume on the speaker itself also double-up as the track skip and play/pause, so it is a little fiddly until you figure out how much pressure and how long to hold the button before it changes the volume instead of skipping the track on the ipad; probably easier to do it on the ipad or other media player rather than the speaker.... but still quite a nice little feature. The speaker looks good - I'm not exactly sure what the little 'hole' protruding from the case is for... maybe a carry strap... I won't be using that as the little sticky-out bit looks too flimsy for that function but the rest of the unit is very solid - if you look at the picture here you'll see what I mean. So - the sound is good for the size and if you need the bluetooth feature for telephone calls then I would recommend it, especially if you can find it at a reduced price as it seems a lot of money for something so small. If you don't need the bluetooth then just go for the wired one and save yourself a lot of money. Overall I'm pleased with my purchase and would recommend this item for gadget nuts who want a tiny little wireless speaker!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 March 2013
I originally bought the X-Mini speakers and was so impressed I decided to buy the Bluetooth version and I wasnt disappointed! I didn't believe how good they were, when you daisy chain with the original speaker by plugging in a second speaker in to the first, the sound was loader, richer and had more bass... Very impressive! You charge them on your PC USB port, the charge lasts for absolutely ages and the sound is well, hearing is believing! These out perform speakers that are 5 times the cost... You will not be disappointed!
on 19 July 2013
Came as promised and was as good as I had hoped. BUT IT CAME MISSING ONE OF THE THREE RUBBER FEET SO THAT IT MOVES ABOUT IF USED ON A SOLID SURFACE< SOMETIMES LANDING ON THE FLOOR. Pity really as it is acoustically very good. Too much trouble to send it back so I am hoping they will send me the foot having read this!!!
on 11 September 2013
As a wired mini speaker it is just as splendid in sound quality as the original X-Mini

However, the bluetooth connection isn't nearly as good as the sound loses some crispness. When using the in-built mic for FaceTime/Skype or conference calling, it gets worse. The mic quality is really bad and there is a constant background buzz. The iPhone mic in itself is much better.

I sent the first back for a replacement thinking I must have got a bad one.But, when the second was poor too, I sent that back again for a refund.

Avoid.
on 26 July 2014
Bought this speaker mainly because I have another two x-minis, which are the version 1.1's. It's great, you can easily connected up any bluetooth device like your iPod and phone. Works with pretty much anything, connected it to my Android phone running 4.4.4 easily. Speaker is loud and clear must have about 10+ hours of battery life for me just at a steady volume not too high, it buddy connected fine to my other 2 x-minis all I have to do is turn them on and make sure my bluetooth is on and I'm connected! Really recommend this speaker for portability and great performace.
on 24 November 2014
I went by the previous review and took a chance and i am very happy with the purchase the sound from my lap top is a great improvement , all because of this little speaker the bass on you tube is fantatastic, because of this little Ball , i love the way its was presented and packaged , really worth the money
on 18 August 2014
This is small, but don't let that put you off. It gives decent sound and is easy to carry around. I think someone else said it was about the size of a tangerine when folded, and that sounds about right.
It comes with a charger lead and a small cloth carry bag with a drawstring. Underneath is a built in lead for plugging it directly in to smartphone headphone jack for when using bluetooth is not important.
For the price and what you get it's a bargain.
on 11 December 2014
A great little number!

pros:
-Great volume and pitch range.
-Highly portable.
-Easily charged and provides the required cables (haven't tested the advertised battery lifetime though).
-Has the bluetooth capability

cons:
-Volume control, mute and skip/pause don't work when using the cabled connection - only bluetooth. Volume control would certainly be useful.
-On/Off button leaves 'off' as the central location for the knob. Often push too far and it ends up on bluetooth or audio which can get a bit annoying!

Overall it is a great little portable speaker, although it hasn't left my room yet, which provides much better sound than my laptop. Bluetooth capability will likely come in handy for large gatherings or when moving around, but haven't really had the chance to fully test it.