on 11 August 2012
Without spoiling it, here are the pluses-

The first half was awesome and I was so excited whilst reading it and you could really sympathise with everyone and understand their points of view. Third person was the right move for this author and at first I liked that we got to know Johnny without skipping chunks.

The bad stuff.

I got bored a little after halfway and suddenly it deteriorated. I suddenly went from liking Ruth and Johnny to hating them both and I didn't care anymore what happened to anyone. They both sickened me, and I saw every character being very immoral I lost all faith in humanity and this book depressed so much that at around chapter 17 I decided not to read on. I flicked nearer to the end to see if it was worth it, but only more trouble would arise and as much as I like crime, I really hoped Johnny and Ruth would pull things together and be a great couple, but instead he became Frankie and she became Rita. I will never read another book by this author, and I was shocked and disgusted by her lack of morals and soul. When we finally got to Angel, (which wasn't till after half way, why name it after her if she's not in the maority of the book)? I felt like the author skimmed her aging process and we only saw a glimpse of the real her. Angel isn't an angel either, as the blurb suggests so why read if you're not rooting for anyone?

Major disappointment for something that started so well, but I can't read something that makes me miserable.
77 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 April 2012
I have read all of Mandasue Heller's books and would definitely consider myself a fan. Having said that I haven't loved every book, it almost seems like I either love it or just don't like it at all. Her last book The Driver I seemed to struggle with
but the previous book Two-Faced I loved. With all that in mind I was excited to read her new book but apprehensive to see whether I would like it. Many people over the last few years have compared her to the likes of Martina Cole and this book just proves that she is in my opinion better than Martina Cole.

Johnny Conroy is a young lad who is typically enjoying life and when he meets Ruth Hynes he takes his chances. What he doesn't account for is that the infamous hard man Frankie Hynes daughter will fall pregnant. Before he knows it he is part of the Hynes lives and is married with a baby on the way.

The first portion of the book is like Mandasue's early books and was absolutely brilliant. We meet Ruth and her parents Frankie and Rita. Johnny, for all his faults, is a great character and before long you can't help feeling sorry for his sudden immersion into Frankie Hyne's business and his gloomy marriage to Ruth.

The book moves on over the years and in total we see Johnny's life over twenty years. There was something easy to read about the way it was written and we see enough of what goes on in blocks of time, to make you feel like you are moving in time along with the family.

Johnny's daughter Angel comes along and becomes the light of Johnny's life and all the time he is constantly progressing and improving the family business. Along the way we see Johnny's friend Dave and Ruth's cousin Lisa integrate themselves into the story making for some extra added story threads. Before long the book moves us into Angel's younger years before finally arriving at her teenage years where she becomes involved with one of Johnny's workers Ryan.

That in itself causes major problems and before long it seems like they have all come full circle. The book had me reading well into the night and when I finally got to the climax of the story well into the early hours I was blown away.

The book itself was what I would describe as old school Mandasue and was so easy and enjoyable to read. What I didn't account for was the shocking twist at the end that had me reading on in disbelief. I can honestly say that this is one of her best and is an absolute corker of a read.

All those Mandasue Heller fans will certainly not be disappointed as we see her make a return to her brilliant skills as an absolutely exceptional writer. This one is certainly a book you will want to get your hands on as soon as it's released and I for one recommend it highly.
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 August 2012
normally i love mandsue books and just started two faced which i am loving but with lost angel i read the back of the book and guessed the story line before even starting the book i thought it was slow until the last few chapters but i had guessed the story and i was almost right i didnt pass this book on like i normally do to my daughter as i was really disappointed but maybe ive just read to many similar books by jesse keane martina cole etc
on 30 January 2013
Johnny Conroy is a jack the lad who finds he has bitten off more than he can chew when he pursues the local gangsters daughter, he is forced to marry her or be maimed or killed by her dad. Fast forward to present day and his daughter Angel is 15 and in the same situation as her mum was and history seems to be repeating itself but this time there are skeletons in the closet that could ruin the whole family.

What a brilliant read, I could have devoured it in one sitting but other things have happened. The book follows Johnny's life from a careless teenager to an adult with a teenage daughter himself. His struggles within his family, his wife who by the end of the book I absolutely hated, his family and his career from being a lackey to a well respected business man in their community.

It is a total page turner, good paced, action, lies, secrets, betrayal. It has the usual sex, bad language and drugs. If you like Manadasue Heller's previous books you will love this one, I don't claim to have read them all but of the ones I have this is my favorite. It was going to be a 4 star rating until just under the last quarter of the book which became explosive with secrets revealed and all loose ends tied up and I love my books like that. 5/5 for me
on 26 July 2016
usually enjoy this author but found this disappointing. a number of chapters were repeteribe and the epilogue rushed through leaving readers to guess what had happened. could have done with another chapter to tidy up the ending
on 27 December 2012
Downloaded this Heller book assuming it to be crime, disappointed in early chapters,but then I was unable to put it down. The final 50% was gripping, a 5star read,highly recommended.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Quite liked the story but it got rather predictable as it progressed. The story line was more about a domestic situation than anything else. The gangster theme never really materialised and it got rather boring towards the end. Not one of the authors better books.
on 13 March 2018
Great, great, great. Loved it and when it ended I wanted more. The book ended well but I just wanted to know so much more as if they were real people
on 26 August 2016
If ever a book was so gripping that it had so many unpredictable twists and turns, then this has to be one of the best. The characters are so believable. Love, hate, heartbreak, violence and joy abound. I highly recommend reading it
on 28 June 2014
I chose this book as after finishing Kimberly chambers latest book I had nothing to read and the reviews said it was similar. It wast in the slightest. The characters don't have enough depth and the ending is predicable, That said it is fine for a quick read,I don't think I will try her books again. I will wait for the next Kimberly chambers book.