on 27 September 2012
As an author I am often invited to comment on or endorse a book and love to oblige, sometimes this can be a chore as I have to read material I wouldn't normally choose. In the case of 'Freedom of the Monsoon' I could say the subject matter would have fallen into that category, but Malika Ghandi has changed that with her compelling debut novel. I will now be looking for similar books and would without hesitation recommend her work.

Beautifully written and narrated through five friends living in India during the period their wonderful country fought for its independence from British rule in 1947, Freedom of the Monsoon shows us, through these characters eyes, how the fight was won, but how hollow the victory turned out to be.

Be ready to love them all and to gain empathy and insight into them as you experience each one's sometimes harrowing journey through a conflict which broke their much loved nation into a division of its people and land.

The five young people are all friends and though their lives are entwined we are with each one on their own journey as they struggle to cope, fall in love, and take on a life they didn't plan to have.

The reader is not a witness to the events as in a story that is told to us, but participates in the culture - both the gentleness and love of family to all its members and friends, and the effect the tearing apart of a nation had on its people and the extreme violence of the day.

The Indian culture is embedded in the book. The reader 'sees' the colours, the clothes and the beauty of the land. They attend weddings and taste and smell the spices, they suffer the same losses, and they hear the language as the author sometimes interjects English with Urdo. But, this last is not a problem, it is an experience as each phrase or address used is explained at the bottom of the page and a quick glance at the reference enhances the experience rather that detracts from it.

In my opinion this is a book that should be nominated for a literary prize and feted by the big publishing houses. Authors of the calibre of Malika Ghandi should not have to go it alone. The fact that they do have to indicates that there is something very wrong with the 'money orientated' publishing world.

I hope if you are reading this you will chose to buy the book as by doing so you will begin a new path in reading as I have no other I can compare it with. I can only say it is an enthralling read and one I would highly recommend to you.
on 29 February 2012
This is a great work of art,though i could have read it a bit quicker..right from the beginning it holds you right till the end...miss gandhi creates a flavour of 1940s india with its tongas,and rubble roads and village type of life in a way which is commendable...the shortcomings,few and far between but here goes...i found that i had to stick to a certain timetable to finish this book..it wasn't one of those easy reads that u finish off in 3 hours,as is most stuff on the kindle.having said that,this shows it was not a rip-off and for those who have the time it is a work of effort vision and clarity.an important book?certainly among those published on the kindle although miss gandhi's work shows itself as a mature,human study of freedom fighters and their personal lives and how the personal national and international repercussions of the sctions of people for their search from independence begins and ends.it is about the awakening of the nationalist conscience.
as we read we understand that the characters have to grow in a certain way before being ready for the ultimate sacrifice,a sacrifice for the principle of freedom and autonomy from a foreign power.an enjoyable read?maybe not.an interesting read? most certainly and without reservations...well done malika gandhi look forward to your next effort...
on 2 March 2014
When I heard about the revised of this book I was curiously sceptical. I enjoyed the original and, unlike some, I didn’t find the multiple POV narrative style remotely confusing because I use the same narrative structure in my own books.
However I was pleasantly surprised and found the revised edition hard to put down. Being familiar with the characters and story helped me to make a favourable comparison.

Malika Ghandi has successfully turned an already excellent book into something even better, This is a beautiful story of love, friendship, community and courage set against one of the most turbulent times of Indian history. This fictional account of the Quit India struggle and partition is told through the eyes of ordinary Indian people rather than the opinions of famous historical figures.

Malika Ghandi has woven a tale with her colourful evocative prose, authentic dialogue ad vivid characterisation. These are characters that you ill come to care about and so they stay with you long after you click past the last page and that’s the measure of a great story. The characters really came to life for me, especially Pooja who was a lot stronger than she believed herself to be. Indian terminology is explained without breaking the narrative flow. While there are dark aspects in this book the more depressing and harrowing aspects of the original have been removed or modified which is no bad thing.

I will definitely be looking for more books by Malika in future as I can’t recommend this highly enough. Whether you have read the original or not this is well worth your time and money. I’m just sorry I can only give five stars.
on 31 March 2012
It took me a while to read this book but I must say it is a good read. It was very interesting to see how four individual lives although as friends started off and how their individual stories carried on within the year of 1942. I felt more involved half way through the book to see how the lives can change so suddenly and change the way their outlook in life. Malika has brought this all in the book and it was lovely to see how she adapted the Gujarati language and the indian
culture and values into this book. I was also pleased to see that she did not dwell too much into the fights and wars which is what you may expect at first, she used this strategically within the book, which was good to see and how it impacted different families. Poojas life touched me more and how she always had hope even within the hurdles of her life and stayed positive. Overall the book ended well and I would say that it can easily still have a follow up..or let you think what may happen further. Malika has shown good skill within her writing and i would recommend to this to all. I will be looking forward to her next book.
on 20 June 2012
Freedom of the Monsoon follows the lives of four friends, Dev, Pooja, Amit and Sunil connecting them with the people who enter their communities in the period 1942 to 1947. The beginning is set in Gujerat, India but the story moves to Simla and Bombay. Rakesh, a freedom fighter, does not want his brother Dev to be involved in the struggle as one of them needs to look after the family. However, Dev's life, and necessarily, that of his friends, becomes embroiled in the story of India. He loves Pooja who has much pain to contend with in her life. Amit is both disappointed and uplifted in his relationships with the rulers. Sunil faces hardship through the circumstances of his beloved Neha.
This book is very readable, the characters are easily identified with, and their lives are cleverly linked - with each other, and also with the greater political story of India and the struggle for freedom from the Raj. The plot carries the reader along most enjoyably. Five stars for story-telling!
on 13 December 2015
This novel is not something I would normally choose to read, but I was in the mind to try something different and outside of my comfort zone. Freedom of the Monsoon is a very easy book to read, the characters are well created and the story flows well.

One of the things I really liked was the authors' use of the correct Indian terminology whilst having the English translation in brackets afterwards. This kept you deeply immersed in India in the 1940's without having to look up unfamiliar words.

How would I sum up this novel? BBC1 on a Sunday night at 1930hrs; as It would make a fantastic two part period drama.
on 18 February 2014
This book had me gripped from the start, and you cannot fail to find a bond with Pooja, Dev and their enduring love story. I can honestly say that I both laughed and cried at this tale and it really tugged at my heartstrings. I knew very, very little about the history of India, but I am so glad that I read this novel as not only is the cover quite simply stunning, but it also educated me and gave me insight into another time, culture and existence. The book is well written and I love the fact that the author translates words throughout which are culturally specific. I found myself immersed in the plot, and inwardly fighting for the characters to come through the other end, but throughout, the writer introduces twists and turns that will leave you wanting to read more, and wondering whether they will ever get their happy ever after. I honestly, truly cannot recommend this book enough. Ms Gandhi is an excellent writer and her words flow with ease.
on 6 September 2014
Freedom of the Monsoon is reflective of the Indian culture, and when the author uses Indian phrases, she adds the English translation so that it is easy for any reader to understand. Dev and Pooja are two characters in love but tragedy and sacrifices for their family and their culture, they find themselves apart, pledging to be with each other once again. It is a remarkable story and very poignant. Emotions run very high and it is a very touching story. Anyone who loves a good tragic love-story, and books about Indian culture, will surely love this book! The ending is not something that anyone sees coming. I hope when you read this, you have a box of tissues handy. This is the second one of Gandhi's that I read, and I will continue to read her work. She gave me a new interest and appreciation into Indian culture and its people.
on 28 December 2017
Good story could be real...in the form it was written. I felt that it would have been nicer to get closer to the characters, however I got the picture of their lives . Moving how difficult it must hAve been living in those uncertain times.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 June 2016
Struggled to enjoy this book. A glossary would have helped for the Indian terms which were constantly explained within the text. The characters were not consistently written and despite the basic storyline and setting being one which was intriguing and full of promise, it never really got going.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse