on 8 September 2013
Whilst a degree of criticism is welcomed, and there are books that share that point of view, the most telling thing for me in this book is that the author is clearly of the opinion that Bruce peaked with the Wild , The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle, and that anything that was written, played, discarded or recorded post that album was naturally a let-down. Now, I don't mind which album a fan prefers, and sees as the artist(s) zenith. But to spend an entire book decrying Springsteen's output in the 40 year period since, in the process deifying Appel, Lopez (an erratic drummer at best) and Davey Sancious whilst simultaneously crucifying their replacements, smacks of overkill. The unwritten message in here is that Bruce sold out sometime in 1974, and should have done what Dylan did. What Bob did, in the main-with the exception of an enjoyable diversion with the Wilburys - was produce a succession of indulgent, redundant, unchallenging and relatively (by his own standards) unsuccessful albums. But hang that, so long as he was true to what he wanted, even if most fans lost interest at Desire.

Heylin's book is eminently readable; he knows the material; his writing style is accessible, though I coulda (!) done with a few less colloquialisms, and puns; as others have noted, he had access to a select few of the pre-74 cast, so kudos for that, and he has spent a lot of time (& money - those bootlegs cost a lot of dosh, even at record fairs in the 80's!) researching the lost cuts and alternative versions. I enjoy the style and salute the dedication, which is why I gave it 3 stars. I just dislike the personal jibes and the 'everything I don't like is rubbish' approach. Oh, and the author or publisher may like to take note that Edwin COLLINS was only 10 when Edwin STARR wrote 'War' in 1969.
on 3 August 2016
Bought as a gift for my husband who is a big fan and while he did finish it, he said it wasn't the best Springsteen book he's read and he only persevered as it was a present.
on 13 March 2013
I was reluctant to buy this after reading about the author's "honesty." Honesty is sometimes code for a hatchet job, and you don't want to read that about a band that is an important part of your musical life.

This book is largely very positive, though, and where the author does criticize Springsteen and some of his songs, it is entirely fair and well-reasoned.

Highly recommended.
on 12 September 2013
Heylin has done his work here. Meticulously researched, highly detailed and critical. Heck of a job. I must admit that his asides about Jon Landau made me laugh - so bitchy. I don't agree with Heylin's take on everything here, but this is essential reading for anyone with an interest in this phase of Bruce's long career. Brilliant!
on 21 December 2014
I bought this book as a Xmas present but when I was flicking through it I became hooked on some of the facts. I can't wait for my husband to finish it so I can read it myself.
on 13 February 2013
As a Bruce fan of some 36 years I read whatever I can about the worlds greatest musician/songwriter, and some more recent books have been disappointing, but this one is the real deal !! A fascinating read about the earlier E-Street line-up, would recommend to any devotee.
on 25 June 2014
Essential reading for any Bruce fan. Great to see all the tracks recorded but not released for each album. What more can we say but buy it to find out about the history of each album.
on 12 August 2015
Excellent
on 5 August 2017
Very well researched and presented
on 31 August 2013
... and all the better for it. Full of useful information even if I don't always agree with his conclusions or values.One of the better boss books.