on 31 May 2018
This autobiography is full of highs, lows and is very well paced. It offers fascinating insight into a band doomed to fall apart. It covers the rise and fall of GnR but does tend to skip over times that Slash doesn't seem to want to talk about. My biggest criticism of this book is...well, Slash. He comes across as an unlikable narcissist. This book is essentially a self aggrandising effort from Slash to paint himself in the best light possible. Moments such as GnR (minus Axl) getting together, jamming and writing music prior to Velvet Revolver getting together and writing the 'best GnR' album just serve to reinforce Slash's egoism and anger at Axl. Whilst Slash's life story is well told, exciting and full of everything you'd expect from a rock star, I really grew to dislike him by the end of the book as this autobiography feels like it was written as a PR exercise where he is the greatest person ever who has all the best ideas and is the good guy in every situation. I suppose it's what you should expect from an autobiography but in this case, it just felt like too much.
on 24 October 2014
Not quite what I was expecting..! This is a brutally honest (too honest?) autobiography with non stop tales of drink, drugs, sex, band break ups, etc. on almost every page. The stories of addiction are hopefully enough to put anyone off hard drugs and I was surprised to find out that he was quite as bad an addict as he now depicts himself.

I think Slash tries too hard here to excuse some/all of his past behaviour and failings and is to singular in his focus on his career. Having said that this is often a characteristic of some of the great entertainers who can only succeed because of these character flaws.

Approach this book with caution as it was not exactly entertaining. More shocking at times. Useful insights into his background, history, GNR and VR.
on 8 February 2016
I loved this book and really want a follow up to it;)
You get to flowing Slash through the highs and lows without it being a bragging look at me kind of book.
He is brutally honest about his drug use and drinking that helps you see that he is still on the level.
Very hard working and extremely talented guitar player.
2 people found this helpful
on 5 October 2016
An excellent read. An in depth look at one of music's most notorious rock guitarists life as he battled fame and drug and alcohol abuse. Read about the groupie antics, run in's with other bands and In fighting in guns and roses. This book will keep you reading for ages. Page after page of highs and lows and everything in between.

I highly recommend this book to all rock fans out there. This book really is a must read!
on 16 February 2012
I think "honest" is the best word to describe this book. Slash really bares all in this autobiography, taking you right through his upbringing in England to his days in Velvet Revolver - and of course offering an unprecedented insight into life as Guns n Roses' lead guitarist. While one must remember this is only one view of what is a many sided epic story, Slash's view is nevertheless intriguing. Written in its conversational tone, come away from this book feeling you've just sat and had a coffee with one of the globe's most famous guitarists. Promise to enter this book with an open mind and you'll close it with firmly sealed views on this talented and funny (and whatever else you make him out to be) bloke. Definitely worth a read. Drugs, sex, snakes and 'crabs', this book certainly has it all.
on 19 August 2011
A remarkable account of the life of a man who is arguably one of the biggest rock gods of his generation. This book had me hooked from the start, I've been a lifelong fan of slash since his GnR days and this book is a truly remarkable insight into the life of the man himself.
Slash tells his story with honesty and a humbleness I never expected to find, it's a real warts and all read which has left me with a new found respect for a talented man who I'd admired since highschool. I'd recomend this book to anybody. Slash has so far led a life so far away from what the majority consider the norm it can't fail to interest in my opinion.
I find it definitely worth commenting on how contrary to what I expected He refrained from pointing the finger of blame at all regarding the demise of GnR and has a perspective on that subject, and life in general to be honest, that many people could benefit from adopting (without the alcohol/drug excess of course).
on 6 February 2014
GNR were/are my favourite band so this was a great book to read. I am a big GNR fan (Appetite and Illusion era) so I am aware of the post-Slash stuff but wasn't aware of the stuff during this time. Obviously this is Slash's version so there are a few "none of it was my fault" type quotes.
A great insight into the early days and his childhood up till Velvet revolver and everything in between.
God knows how he's still alive but fair play to the guy!
Definitely worth reading if you are any kind of rock fan
HALL OF FAMEon 27 April 2008
This is a great book that shows the phrase 'sex, drugs and rock n roll' to perfect effect. This book is littered with stories of drug taking excess, exploits from on tour and some degree of insight into the workings of Guns n Roses. Slash writes very candidly about a variety of events in his life and I felt you really got a feeling for who he is and what motivates him. The book has excellent photography throughout, as well as a middle colour section. The book finishes right up to date with Velvet Revolver and how they formed and write together. Overall a good rock autobiography and well worth a read if you're a fan of Slash or any of his various bands.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 23 December 2014
There were some interesting stories in this biography, but the writing syle is terrible and it in no way compares to Duff's vastly superior effort. Some of the stories are contradicted in Duff's book too.

I would be interested to read Axl's version of these events, but knowing the kind of guy he is we will probably never find out.

If you are a fan of GN'R or Velvert Revolver this is worth a read but I found it hard to read and not all that engaging.
on 1 February 2017
The most honest and interesting autobiography I've ever read!!
Highly recommend to anyone!!
Some stupidly far fetched stories..... and if it weren't slash I would be calling billy bull....... but it is slash!! Quality!!
2 people found this helpful