TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 February 2014
Etta James must have been the nearest thing to Aretha Franklin. From Los Angeles, Etta died, aged 74, in 2012
Her mother was 14 when she had Etta; from an unidentified husband. Etta had her only number one at age 15 and was dating BB King by the following year. She battled drugs all her life.
She made 39 albums and over 50 singles, she also won 6 Grammy awards.
There are 25 tracks on this album covering a period of 40 years. She had such a powerful and distinctive voice. There are a couple of duets on here with Harry Fuqua, which were both hits in America - this is not mentioned on the rather limited album enclosure.
I have to say that I prefer Etta's `oomph' to both Billie Holiday's and Ella Fitzgerald's style, which is much more contained. There's lots of great songs on here. I was a little underwhelmed by her version of 'Loving Arms' but really enjoyed her version of 'Light My Fire.'
I also liked the big band backing, with plenty of brass, saxophone solos, crisp drumming and blues & jazz guitar - it comes across as almost 'live' in places.'
7 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2015
Superb. Etta James's cd covers a wide range of music styles over her career and it is her voice that is lovely powerful and sincerely emotional. The recording and mastering of the tracks are good. If your hi-fis good enough do you spot the sound booth leakage? on I just want to make love to you? The sax on that track is great and the band really goes for it throughout. 'Fool that I am' is fantastic with an emotional rendition that grabs you by the heart if you've ever loved anyone...
It's all good.
One person found this helpful
on 2 January 2017
Watching a film on TV they played 'At Last' by Etta James. I had not heard of Etta James. She was so wonderful I rushed to my computer and ordered this CD. I listened to it last night. Stunning! Amazing! There should be a better adjective to describe her voice and performance but an adequate word has not been invented. The only singer to compare is Aretha Franklin. Don't miss Etta.
on 26 April 2015
I purchased this CD as a gift, the feed back was "Amazing - Etta definitely the Best". I understand the CD is a wonderful collection of her hits as well as a few less well known, which have been enjoyed repeatedly. From my point of view the CD was a great idea for someone, who has a broad range of music tastes, great value for money. The CD arrived next day and in recyclable packaging.
on 6 January 2016
Lovely compilation. All the great hits are there with many more lovely songs.
This is great for both people who are already fans, but also for those who would like a introduction into the great classic ladies of jazz and blues.
on 30 September 2017
Bought this cd as wanted to broaden my music collection. It's ok, not keen on all the songs but that is just personal taste
on 15 March 2018
Loved it! Never fails to send chills down the spine.
on 22 January 2014
This is a great CD. Etta James is a legend and when you listen to this CD you will know why. I love it! Fabulous tracks with the wonderful "At last" and many more. It has 25 tracks and is true value for your money. You will not be disappointed. Great service, delivery and communication.
on 16 April 2018
Excellent thanks
on 13 December 2015
Yay for autorip>>>> Love Etta James, couldn't find my old cd so ordered a new one for the car, couldn't be happier that it instantly loaded into my itunes as well :-)