on 9 March 2013
Seems quite pricey considering how old the technology it is, but it does at least do what it's supposed to do.
on 24 September 2012
Disk accompanying product did not have a driver for use with Windows 7. Plugged in the device anyway, Win7 eventually found a driver and the product worked fine. I made the mistake of downloading a driver from the Startech website and that seemed to mess things up, but the device still works fine in all the other USB sockets.
on 11 February 2014
I have been trying to find a usb modem which works with Windows 8. tried a couple with Conexant chipsets which installed without any apparent problems but did not work, giving the message "fatal error". This one installed itself (using drivers within Windows 8) as soon as plugged it in and worked perfectly. Works a treat with windows own fax program (Fax and Scan). Maybe a little more expensive than some but I have wasted literally days trying to get cheaper ones to work, whereas I had this up and running within about 5 minutes of opening the package. Plus it has a name and a manufacturers website if you need any help, well worth the extra pennies.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 February 2014
This modem now works well on Windows 8.1 64 bit but I did have a problem with the driver to start with.
Dialup works using the LSI driver 2.2.102.0 dated 12/08/2010.

The modem is very compact, looks neat and uses the PC speaker for audio.
on 21 February 2012
I needed a fax modem to avoid having to hand write or type,print and then fax in the conventional way. Initially I considered a fax modem pci card, but thought with an external usb device I would be able to use between my desktop and rather ancient notebook. The order was delivered promptly and well packed, and it took about 10 minutes to get it all set-up. Very simple to use. Well pleased with purchase.
on 1 April 2014
Some of the work I do requires a dial-up modem and the new laptop I got didn't have an integrated one so I bought this device. Windows took about 8 minutes to set it up without using the disk as I didn't need all the additional features it offers. I have used this daily and been very pleased with the performance. Very handy as I can carry the fax modem round with me and use it on any computer or laptop if necessary.
on 11 February 2013
Easy to install, easy to use, software works with Windows 7, drivers for Windows 8 easily downloaded from Startech website
Recommended
on 7 August 2013
This is an excellent compact ‘add-on’ to my desktop computer – at a good price. Easy to install.

Sending faxes via the Windows Fax & Scan programme is easy. The limitation is in receiving them.

My old Samsung fax machine was able to listen in to every call. If it heard incoming fax tones, it would take the call over, otherwise it would leave it alone.

The Windows Fax & Scan programme is not able to differentiate this way, so incoming fax calls can only be accepted by prior arrangement.

This is not a big issue for me, since now I use the fax facility very infrequently – email has largely taken over.
on 6 February 2014
Don't use the enclosed disc or let your PC find the driver. Give Startech a ring on their tollfree line and they will send it straight away.
Small easily tucked away once set up and great if like me you get one fax a month. I was disappointed my PC didn't have one inside, like previous models. Well, they were Fujitsu, and this is an Acer!!!
on 3 January 2013
New computer without a fax modem, this one looked like the answer. But I am still working with the Startech helpdesk to get it going. They have suggested some tech'y things to try but I still am noy suire what they are talking about. But its still early days.