Top critical review
16 people found this helpful
Used it for a year (now broken) and here is what I think
on 1 October 2014
Ok, I've had the Foscam FI8910W installed and working for 1 year and it is has now decided to not work wireless anymore. So here is what I think:
- When it arrived it was quite easy to setup wireless and lan I thought (compared to others having trouble, but I am technically oriented) It's range is rather limited so careful.
- When I first got into the web interface my first thoughts were, oh wow, this is how the internet looked back in 1995, poor design and wasn't very responsive (this got better with firmware updates throughout the year (3) of them, but at least the options were there, you weren't sure if the thing was using them correctly but the options were there - zero status or connected / not-connected notifications etc)
- Camera image size, now I thought this would have been bigger than 640x480, I was quite disappointed with this but got used to it. The picture quality was good (7/10) and night vision often just lit up peoples faces so bright you couldn't tell who or what they looked like
- POOR FRAME RATES OF 4fps to 10fps!
OMFG - Over LAN this is fine, over wi-fi - ABSOLUTE F**** SH** 4FPS to 10FPS! I went through support and forums and even tried several different pieces of software. Drop the resolution on the camera again and it will speed it up but then there's little point having a camera at such a low resolution (foscam think it's 1999 again!). So be warned someone walking past the camera, you probably will only see Frame 1: no one there, Frame 2: person in walking stance, Frame 3: no one there, usefull hu.
- The common REBOOTING BUG!
Again I went through support - no joy, went through forum and found a LOT of other people having this problem. I flashed older and newer firmware versions, tried every setting known to man, I even bashed the device about a bit to see if it would stop re-booting each time I use the web interface. NOTE: This didn't start to happen straight away, only after about 2 or 3 months after purchase. If I wasn't using the web interface to view the camera it was fine streaming out to iSpy without rebooting so didn't RMA it (bad move). It eventually got so bad I had to use the lower screen resolution to even be able to connect to the web interface. AND if you don't lock down your IP settings you will have to find that new IP address for it each time it reboots and it takes 1 to 2 minutes to reboot every time (try changing the resolution before it crashes! damn missed, try again! lol).
- No more IP camera / No more wi-fi connection
The camera is no longer picked up by the IP tool, but is found by other network scanner software I've tried however no video data streams can be picked up from it either, it's decided to fail on that part and now become a LAN only camera. I am thinking of stripping out the camera and mounting a microsoft life cam in there seeing as it's going to be LAN only. Maybe I can telnet commands to it or something to use the rotation and tilt features.
- The newer foscam 9831W and a theory
I was just about to buy this in amazon but noticed the seller was in china and people reporting different product arrived. And the ones that are foscam uk don't answer telephone or give support. Not good and not good. At the same time as buying this camera I bought another cheaper one from tibet or some rice farmer somewhere and found that it had identical hardware case etc but the software was different and the nameplate was filed blank. It wouldn't surprise me if the foscam china seller was just flashing foscam firmware on that device and using their logo.
1. Video quality day time 7/10
2. Video quality night time 5/10
3. Video resolution 4/10
4. Software 2/10
5. Wi-fi connectivity and video FPS 1/10
6. Length of life of hardware (wi-fi died in 1 year for me and reboots all the time) 2/10