Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now

on 5 November 2017
Used t in China , did ok
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 July 2013
This is exactly what it says it is, a guide to communicating in Mandarin Chinese giving exactly enough and no more. At one point in the book the author encourages the reader to contact him for the Chinese characters. As I have sometimes found that pointing to a phrase in my guidebook can make up for my mispronunciations, I did so. Mr McGlasson was really most helpful and courteous and I am most grateful for this further assistance and advice.
on 8 January 2014
I am learning Chinese in class before a visit later in the year. From that I'm getting a basic understanding of the structure of the language but what I don't really get is enough opportunity to actually practise conversation in Chinese. This is where this handy little book comes in. As I have Kindle on my phone I always have it with me as a quick reminder of phrases for real-life situations. Now that I have found a Chinese student who helps me with conversation in return for help with English the book has provided a good basis for starting to get confident in speaking which is what learning a new language for practical purposes is all about! I should also say that I bought the earlier version of the book that - for sound reasons (pardon the pun) - left out the tones. The tones, plus loads of other practical information such as a Beijing restaurant guide, are now in there (automatically updated on my Kindle) and it is very much to the author's credit that he has responded so quickly and effectively to make his good little book even better.
on 4 January 2013
This was a great little purchase for my trip. It made the whole experience more enjoyable, and I found myself using it from the moment I arrived. It was really handy in the situations given, like in restaurants and in taxis and others, but more than that, it was great to be able to play with the language in it. Granted it was basic language, but that's exactly what I wanted for my holiday, and I enjoyed being able to speak without the book after a few days.

In response to someone saying that you can't make sentences with this book, actually the opposite was the case. I found that with this book I was able to get around even without the book after just a few days using it and learning the language from it. I really enjoyed the freedom it gave me to do what I wanted and get around by myself, as well as the great feeling of just being able to stand and converse a little bit in Chinese.

Would definitely recommend to travellers to China or those wanting to learn the basics of the language!
on 10 March 2013
Prompt delivery and a very good book to learn the basics. Quite short but no more is needed if you only want the basics.
on 27 November 2013
Found it brilliant on her school exchange, the ratings had been spot on along with the high recommendations
The Chinese pupils also found it well done
on 14 November 2013
An excellent beginning to the learning of Chinese. The approach to language-learning is extremely practical, expressed with unusual clarity. Brilliant.
on 5 June 2013
Useful to have with you if you are planning a short trip to china. It is just enough to get by.
on 20 January 2012
Really useful to have. Helped me get through a number of situations and wldn't go to China again without it!
on 20 January 2012
I am terrible when it comes to any other language except English but after reading this book and keeping it with me whilst I travelled around really helped me. It made the trip more enjoyable and also educational!!!

Great book and worth every penny!!!!