on 20 July 2012
This motherboard is built to be very durable, as is evident on the product packaging. Using it in my home server, it runs very well with no hiccups; 8GB RAM and a Celeron G530 CPU.

There is not much to say in terms of functionality: it "just works", so to speak. It has the basics; Ethernet, USB 2.0, four SATA II ports, PCIe, on-board video and the like. I wouldn't advise this for a video editing workstation or serious gaming machine, but for a server or small desktop PC it does the job excellently.

For desktop PCs, you may want to consider getting fixed-speed quiet fans (which I would recommend regardless of motherboard), as I have *heard* that there isn't any fan control mechanism for the system fan header. Motherboard temperature isn't an issue; I have mine running at 30 degrees Celsius, 24/7.

One minor thing to be aware of if you are running Linux, is that the on-board Ethernet is not compatible with older kernels. I had 2.6.32 and had to upgrade to Linux 3.2 using the Debian backports repository. I can't comment on Linux compatibility with the audio and other "peripheral" chips that I have disabled, but I presume they work well with newer kernels at least.
on 5 November 2012
My wife needed a new PC for her university course, so I built one for her around this motherboard. Build quality is up to Gigabytes usual high standard, and is particularly good considering the price point of the board. I stuck in an i3 processor and 8gb memory and performance is very impressive even using the onboard graphics. If you are looking to build a board on a budget for general home use and aren't into modern high-end gaming then you won't be let down by this board.

One of the things that impressed me most (and I suspect most modern boards are the same) is the speed at which the BIOS does its stuff. This results in very fast boot times from pressing the power-on button to having the windows desktop up and running. For example, my old Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R takes almost twice as long to get to windows desktop with a Crucial M4 SSD than this board does with a single old 250gb mechanical drive !

Like most budget boards, this has only two slots for memory. There are 4 sata ports, 2 PCI slots, a PCI express x16 slot and one PCI express slot. 4 USB2 ports on the back panel plus another 4 USB2 ports via internal headers on the board. And, curiously, this board also has an old parallel port on the back panel (!).

Good value for money though this motherboard is, for me its main let-down is the absence of USB3, thus only 4 stars. For an extra couple of pounds you may wish to consider the more up-to-date spec of the Gigabyte SKT-1155 H61MA-D3V Motherboard instead ; recently I built a system for neighbours around one, and its build quality is very similar to the board reviewed here. However, at the expense of the parallel port, the H61MA-D3V has a pair of USB3 ports plus two extra SATA ports, and swaps the two PCI slots for a pair of PCI express slots. So unless you really need the old PCI slots and the old parallel port I'd suggest you go for the H61MA-D3V over this board.
on 15 March 2014
This is the second of these boards I have purchased and they are excellent value for money as well as being 100% compatible with the three flavours of Linux which I use as my first choice for most desktop related activities - PCLinux OS, Mint (KDE) and Opensuse (KDE).

It also works well with Windows 7 and with a good CPU and 8Gb of RAM makes Windows (almost) as fast as Linux, which is a real challenge for an inherently slow application, I have also tried it with Windows 8 and again no issues encountered and if anything slightly faster.

If you are looking for a solid, reliable and easy to use motherboard look no further.
on 8 August 2013
This Motherboard boasts very few (if any) amazing features and the H61 chipset is very weak ...

But just shy of £45 its a great buy in terms of cost, quality and performance.

I've never been let down by any Gigabyte board I've owned and this board coupled with any Intel Sandybridge CPU will perform flawlessly as a regular home and office computer.

I've spent months completely punishing this Board and its CPU in a tiny, cramped Micro ATX case with poor ventilation and the whole rig has never let me down.
on 17 September 2015
Excellent Mother board. pleasantly surprised it was still available as I built a basic system a few years ago with this board and has run 24/7 ever since so when the power system melted and USB ports failed etc. I replaced the board with the exact same model. (took the opportunity to upgrade the CPU to a cheeky i3 at the same time!) it booted first time and hasn't looked back. Outstanding!
on 17 August 2014
I wanted a basic board with reasonable on-board audio and a couple of PCI expansion slots, and this fits the bill very well.
Have had no issues with it, the BIOS is nice, and easy to navigate, and she boots up pretty fast. No USB 3, but who cares at this price?
on 21 July 2015
Good for people with i3's from old or prebuilt PC's that want to upgrade. Has a good amount of IO, making it great for entry level-budget gamers.
on 28 October 2015
Exactly as described, good working order and arrived quickly. I can't really add anything else but, am a happy customer.
on 10 February 2013
i am a newbie to self build and this item was all that i required and needed.simple to fit with good instructions
on 11 June 2015
Excellent motherboard I needed pci slots and this was a perfect fit replacement