on 30 April 2014
A telling story of twosides, Mothers who did what they thought was best for their daughters and daughters who responded to their mothers ways due to their upbringing,problems and difficultes. In some cases it was history repeating itself due to ignorance of how things should be in reality. Throught the generations daughters put up with a way of life believing that their mothers new best and then they suffered similar treatment when they became mothers. A very realistic story of generations reliving a similar life style. However I was very revieling when two daughters from different cultures after becoming friends sought to live differently and eventuall their mothers saw how their upbringing could have been holding them back and decided to change and with the support of their daughters changed an started to live a more rewarding life.
on 25 July 2013
I could not finish this book and I found the writing style a little stilted. I could not come to terms with the use of the word "mom" instead of "mum" in what was clearly a story set in England and it took me so long to get into it (I actually never did) that in the end I simply gave up and deleted it from my Kindle.

This could have developed into something great but it left me feeling reluctant to ever try anything further from this author.

Save your time and money.
on 30 April 2012
Relationships between mothers and daughters are notoriously complicated: this story surrounds two families at times of crisis, placing even more strain on the already fragile bonds. The author explores domestic violence and arranged marriage in unexpected ways. Set in 1980's Birmingham, the past influences the present characters, exploring inter-generational relationships across cultures.
I paid 99p for this as a 'daily deal' on kindle because I had enjoyed 'Chocolate Girls', also by Annie Murray. I'm really glad I did as I enjoyed this story very much.
on 4 July 2012
Not my usual choice but it was on offer so I thought I'd give it a go. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A very interesting read showing the difference between the two cultures of the main characters. I loved how the story line went from the 1980's back to the childhoods of the older characters. I will be reading more Annie Murray in future.
on 31 March 2018
I was interested in this book as one part was set in the time I had become a mother and her mother's time was my mother's era. A sad story,a page turner.
on 4 May 2012
This book is set mostly in the 80's, with periods looking back into the past of the 2 mothers to World War II and the time of partition in India. It took me a little longer than usual with an Annie Murray book to get into, but it was well researched and had the author's usual brilliant attention to detail. From about one third in I was hooked, and I found the Indian history of the 40's and the 80's particularly interesting, as I didn't previously have a lot of knowledge of this.

I agree with the other reviewer that it was difficult to have a lot of sympathy with the adult Margaret, although I do know that it was not unusual at that time for people to be given repeat prescriptions for years for anti-depressants like Valium. My one criticism is that it would have been good to have had more of an insight into Fred's life and personality. However Annie Murray is still my favourite author.
on 9 July 2012
Set in Birmingham in the 80's and WW2 this story follows the lives of two women and their mothers both from very different cultures. Divorce, domestic violence and the troubles of the World War 2 and partiton in India. The daughters realisation that their mother's had lead very eventful and traumatic lives back in their youth! Really enjoyed the story, characters very well written. Especially heartbreaking details about the poor little'uns who got evacuated in the war.
on 9 September 2014
I love Annie Murray's books you just get so involved with the characters and you can't wait to read again the next day.
This book was really good it went from the war where bad things happened to Margaret and how that affected her life from then on. Then more up to date things with her daughter Joanne and her terrible ordeal and how she met Sooky who came from a completely different background and culture and they ended up best friends. A must read!
on 22 February 2013
I usually write a review when asked but sometimes my wife hasn't read it all but as to a reply from someone who told me I should read the book first i buy these books that are by her favourite Auther's a fact is my wife of 66 years
is an invalid and has restricted use of her body so I look for when one of her favourite writers latest comes out in a cheaper edition I order it she cannot sit and use a computer and as for me at the age of 88 I think I am doing we ll but as for this book Beryl said it waas one of the most wonderfull books she had read but no more reviews sorry
on 8 April 2014
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were wonderfully written in a way that you could really identify with them all. Interesting in the way they related to each other and we were taken back to the war years. You could feel each characters pain and identify with their helplessness. Excellent, I will be reading more Annie Murray soon.