on 12 November 2013
This is the first novel I have read by this author. I bought this book based on rave reviews I had read on this website, however I was little disappointed.

It took me until half way through the story to get interested in any of the characters. The central character Rory who has been dumped by sensible boyfriend Martin, and has subsequently moved into her Aunt Lyd's house in Clapham, while working at an upmarket magazine, is not a very strong one. She just isn't someone you want to get behind and support. She has a good life, and I am sure she could have done more to help herself. Everything she says about Martin shows she knows he isn't really the right man for her, if she actually thought about it. I felt frustrated at how long it took Rory to realise this.

To the credit of this author I did think the book had a slightly different feel to others of this genre, in that it tried to explore, very lightly, older people's love lives and ageing in general. I enjoyed reading their scenes and toward the latter part of the novel, I finally became more interested in Rory's colleagues. I also thought Martin was good fun to read.

I enjoyed the unsuitable men the most, particularly Teddy and Luke. Malky was so obviously someone a girl like Rory would never date, not even for her column, so I was glad when that particular theme was dropped. Luke was the most amusing with his sexts.

Ultimately I am glad I persevered, but it made me chuckle a couple of times, but it wasn't what I'd call hilarious. It is an enjoyable light read, but easily forgettable. I saw the person Rory would end up with immediately, and it never really felt plausible, although again, it seemed a little different.
Not bad, but just too light weight in my case.
on 13 October 2012
This book was good fun... was surprised by a couple of things which is always good in chick lit which on the whole is the same (that's not a criticism on the genre, it's nice, hehe)

However, I bought the Kindle version and woooo[...] Sadly I have an issue wherein when I see a typo or missing piece of text I have to really talk myself into getting past it (I mean in a book, on the internet etc I have no issues and am prone to typos myself...)

ANYWAY sorry, I digress. With this I had to keep making up words. Usually at the end of a chapter, sometimes just at the end of the page there were whole lines missing. Occasionally fixed by turning my phone around (!) but on the whole, just missing. At one point, of course only when I am really interested, there were several lines missing and no amount of changing the aspect or sitting right in a wi-fi zone be it home or wherever fixed it.

The book itself does not get any less stars from me though of course!! :-D If I see the paperback for cheap enough one day I may even buy it and re-read it... minus the (par for the e-book course, I have found) omissions.
on 15 March 2018
Like others on here I found that it took me a while to get into the book, however I persevered and was glad that I did so.
An interesting group of characters, some to love and others not so much, that finally pulled it together for me.
VINE VOICEon 26 December 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
At some point in our lives we ladies have all had some unsuitable men in our lives. This story finds Rory single after her relationship with her boring boyfriend came to an end. The story has her in a number of situations dating unsuitable men till I had tears of laughter rolling down my face, so funny. Some of her office colleagues were a bit far fetched with their names and which I found annoying - Amanda call me Mahn, Ticky and NooNoo, terrible and you could imagine their plum in mouth accents. I was glad when Rory (or Roars as Ticky called her) was on her dates and not in the office. Apart from that it is entertaining in parts once you get into it.
on 11 July 2012
Rory finds herself single after a blissful 11 years. She makes tentative steps into the dating meat market under the banner of a column "unsuitable men". The best of the unsuitable bunch has to be Luke the work experience guy, who offers himself up as a toyboy and opens up Rory's eyes to the unknown world of sexting, the guy is relentless and can't see he doesn't stand a chance, gave me a few laugh out loud moments.
on 21 October 2012
We start the book with Rory turning up at her aunt Lyd's house after splitting up with her boyfriend of 11 years. Working on a magazine she comes with writing a article about dating. This is where the book get predicable, actually skipped a couple of pages here and there as felt that I had read the same before. There are some very funny bits in this book once you get onto Luke ( once u get there you will understand ) . Easy to read without much thinking.
on 20 July 2013
I've read other books by Pippa Wright and loved 'em. I'm a bit unsure about this one. It took a lot of getting in to and I'm quite pleased to have finished it to move onto something else. It won't stop me reading other books by Pippa. This one's not my favourite.
on 11 November 2012
I devoured this book. Im a real fan of this author and hope she keeps up the good work. It was just as good as her previous work. I really didnt guess who she would end up with in the end, I had an inkling but...This book made me laugh out loud at times. Cant wait for her next offering
on 11 April 2014
This will get you chuckling, great for a good laugh and a brilliant main character well supported by some appalling and amusing minor characters. Funny stuff and would read other books.
on 18 March 2014
I chose this as night shift reading, recommended to me by a friend. It ticked all the right boxes for a book to read at 4am- not taxing or difficult to read, if a little predictable. Would definitely recommend for a light read.