on 23 June 2017
Ok
on 6 February 2013
Great for the young adult or those who fancy an easy, enjoyable read. Interesting storyline and good value. Worth a read.
on 3 April 2012
I was so excited to read this book after absolutely loving Switched and it didn't let me down because I loved this book even more than the first, I didn't think it was possible but apparently it is, and if this trilogy continues to get better and better then I really can't wait for the next one!

I find it really difficult to express just how much I enjoyed this story, I was completely and utterly drawn in by this book - I ended up reading it in just a few hours because I was so unable to put it down. There is a revelation near the beginning of the book that actually made me gasp in shock, I really didn't see it coming but once I thought about it, it all made perfect sense and a lot of things slipped into place.

The new characters made great additions to the regulars and I was pleased to have some of the questions I had left over from the first book answered in this one. You can see each character growing as the story progresses and I feel that by the end of this book I had a much better understanding of each of them.

Wendy's love life is as complicated as ever and the addition of another gorgeous guy and arrangements that have been in place for many years just confuses things even more for her. Expect some heart pounding moments and exciting meetings that will keep you reading page after page.

This book also had a bonus story at the back, called One Day: Three Ways and it followed Finn, Tove and Loki on a day that is clearly going to be important for the next book.

This is an amazing story full of danger, excitement and love, I am so looking forward to reading the final book in the trilogy Ascend which is due to be released in the UK on 26 April 2012.
Obviously, it goes without saying that if you have not yet read Switched (the first book in the Trylle series)then do not go any further as you may encounter potential spoilers.

Torn is of course the eagerly awaited sequel to Switched and I devoured it just as quickly as I did the first book. It's just pure entertainment value and easy reading - and I mean that as a compliment. Never in my life did I think I would enjoy a book about trolls!

You may recall at the end of Switched that Wendy ran back home with her tail between her legs but guess what?! SHE CAN'T STAY THERE and I'm sure that will come as a big shock to you all *rolls eyes*. What I liked most about Torn I think is Wendy's character development. She starts accepting who and what she is more and more, even relishing in the role on occasion. She develops a sense of duty as she comes to understand that the Trylle need a leader, a queen. Speaking of duty, let's talk about frustrating yet dutiful Finn who starts pushing Wendy away because he has nothing to offer her but banishment. I get this, I do but ANGSTY ANGST, ARGH! You know?

In the midst of it all, we have Loki, a young Markis from VIttra who tries to kidnap Wendy and bring her to the king whose interest in her is beyond political. Amanda? THANK YOU for Loki. I love a bad boy with a cheeky chappy sense of humour and he certainly fits the bill. Loki and Wendy enjoy some flirtatious banter and this of course sets up a potential love triangle between Wendy, Finn and Loki but we'll see about that ;)
Torn delves deeper into the world of the Trylle and I enjoyed learning that whilst we tend to think of the VIttra as the bad guys, let's just say that it's a little bit more complicated than that.

Torn is a very enjoyable sequel and I'm looking forward to Ascend (Trylle #3) which is out now!
on 10 May 2012
(Book length: 3864 kindle locations)
(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
This is the second book in the `Trylle' trilogy, and kicks off at the point where the first book finished.
So Wendy has finally walked out on her awful mother, and has run off back home with Rhys - the boy that she was swapped at birth for - and therefore her brother's real brother.

They make it back and Wendy introduces Rhys and Matt, before Finn and another tracker called Duncan make an appearance, and tell Wendy that she needs to go back to Forening. Wendy point blank refuses, and so Finn and Duncan leave. Not long after the house is attacked by the Vittra - a different tribe of trolls, and Wendy, Matt, and Rhys are all taken captive.

Wendy makes a fuss and finds out why they have been taken - the Vittra King is her biological father, and so he too feels like he can lay claim to her. Thankfully, Finn, Duncan, and Tove come to her rescue, and she finds herself back at her mother's palace in Trylle.

From then on there is a lot of politics - which kingdom will Wendy rule? How can they prevent war between the Trylle and Vittra? How long will it be before Wendy will be queen?
There is also some romantic intrigue, with Wendy finding herself romantically involved with three different men!

I hate to say this but I am so glad that this book is over. I really enjoyed Switched, so much so that I immediately began reading Torn, unfortunately this book failed to live up to my expectations. I found myself having real trouble staying focused whilst reading this book, and at around 40% I had to start speed-reading through to stop myself from totally giving up.
To be honest I can't even say that there was anything that I particularly didn't like - I was just bored. Maybe it was all the arguing and politics, but I just really struggled to keep reading.
The plot wasn't even surprising, most of the `twists' I could see coming from mid-way through the first book.

Hoping that the next is better.
3 out of 10.
(Book length: 3864 kindle locations)
on 6 February 2011
second of the three and i really enjoyed it. these books are not very long, or it could be that i enjoyed them so much they just flew by.
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!

I really enjoyed reading this book!
We meet the new character Loki in the second chapter of the book (I think) when he kidnaps Wendy, Matt and Rhys. Later on we find out that he's a Markis of the Vittra (who are the Trylle's enemies). I had conflicting emotions about Loki. On one hand, I think he's a really bad influence and I'm certain that if he and Wendy were to get together it would cause a whole lot of trouble and on the other hand, I think he might just be misunderstood. He seems to be scared of the Vittra and seems to be very vulnerable, but I don't know if it's just an act or not. He and Wendy kiss later on in the book but Wendy doesn't take him up on his offer to run away and instead heads back into Elora's mansion.
I really enjoyed seeing Wendy's character develop and become more mature as she learnt how much she would have to deal with when she becomes Queen and how soon it might happen since her mother - Elora - is dying. I love Wendy's character because she's so strong willed and always sticks up for what she thinks is the right decision/choice for The Trylle, and she'll continue fighting until someone listens. I wasn't a big fan of the relationship between Finn and Wendy in this book. In fact, I wasn't a big fan of Finn altogether. He was so arrogant and horrible to Wendy in this book that it made me question whether I actually want him and Wendy to be together. I was rooting for them all the way through Switched, but after reading this, I'm not too sure whether Finn and Wendy would make a great couple. I know they can't be together because Wendy is a princess and Finn is a tracker, but I always hoped they might find a way, but it doesn't look like they will.
I liked Elora much more in this book because we got a deeper understanding of what she went through when she was Wendy's age and we also learned that she had been pushing Wendy because she's going to die soon. I'm not too sure if I'm that bothered that Elora will probably die in the next book, but I know it will affect Wendy in a lot of ways.
We were also introduced to Tove more in this book as he and Wendy got engaged. Although they don't love each other, they think that their partnership will benefit the Trylle community so they decide to go through with it (even though Tove's gay and I'm pretty sure we found out who he has a massive crush on). I really don't agree with this part because I think it's extremely unfair that they don't get to be with the person that they love. That they'll have to live a lie for their whole lives just to benefit their community.
Rhys, Matt and Willa also make an appearance in this book, with Matt and Willa becoming involved with each other which is against the rules because Matt's a human and Willa's a Marksinna.
I enjoyed the character development throughout this book and how I learnt what each character was actually like.
I love the world created in these books and I love the detail that Amanda Hocking goes into to explain it. My favourite part of the world (and Wendy's) is the back garden. It sounds like a stunningly beautiful place and the picture I have of it in my head probably doesn't even do it justice. I like the unique idea Amanda had of the way she was going to write trolls into a story, because whenever I think of a troll, I think of a small green monster that lives under a bridge. But Amanda's trolls look exactly like humans, they just have weird habits.
I also loved learning more about the Vittra and why the Trylle and Vittra have been at war for so long because I never really understood it in the first book. I was also intrigued by the differences between the Vittra and the Tryll: The Vittra's power lie in physical strength and longevity whereas the Trylle's power comes from psychokinesis.
Although there were a lot of things about the story I didn't like, it roped me in and I couldn't put it down, so I gave this book 4/5 Stars.
on 2 February 2013
My review:

The second book in the Trylle series, Torn, is picking up exactly where Switched ended. Wendy is back at home, trying to avoid Matt's questions about her whereabouts when she was gone. Wendy also brought Rhys back at home, a boy who was switched with Wendy when newborn and taken to Trylle.

Wendy tries to get settled back at her home, but she can't. She is being kidnapped by Vittra trackers and taken to prison. This is where she first meets her real father and learn more about her mother, past and about her dad. Besides that, she sees Loki again and Loki helps her and her brothers to escape after Tove, Finn and other are coming to save her.

Back in Förening Wendy realizes how important her role is and grows with the task. She also understands, that she will have no future with Finn, because Finn is so bound to old traditions and Wendy is like a fresh breath of air wanting to change things. Wendy makes some huge sacrifices of her personal life to step in as a Princess.

I have to admit, that somewhere in the middle of this book, the author lost my attention. I kept reading, but there were things on this plot which I did not understand, for example the necessity of Wendy getting married. Besides, Finn appeared to be totally different that I hoped for. The main thing which saved this plot and the story for me, was the character development, which I enjoyed.

Characters:

I loved Loki! He is hot and sweet and spicy altogether. Besides that dangerous and strong and he literally stole the place of the most well written character in this book! I enjoyed his playfulness and his protectiveness towards Wendy.

Tove grew on me even more in Torn. He would be a nice friend to have -loyal, smart, independent, supportive. I liked how he rebelled against the traditions in the first book, and I loved how he did things his own way and helped Wendy pushing through her ideas.

I had mixed feelings about Wendy in Torn. In one way, I did understood her sacrifices, at the same time I missed seeing more of the Wendy from the first book, who did things which were good to her. As a character, Wendy grew more responsible, but I think she lost herself in that. Thank god, there was Loki to jazz her up!

Generally:

Torn was a good sequel to Switched. It was smoothly written and had intriguing characters. I am very curious about how the story ends. Recommended!
on 16 August 2012
I wasn't sure whether to read this book or not, if you saw my review of 'Switched' you will have seen that it wasn't particularly positive and I didn't know if I should carry on, but I was intrigued just enough to want to know more. So I started this one. I immediately felt better about this book, it seemed like the author had got into the flow of writing better and I was just overall more interested.
I was glad I pushed on and didn't give up. I wouldn't say it was one of the best books or series I had ever read but it was ok.
Wendy has now come to realise that she really is different and that everything she has been told is true, she is the Trylle Princess and some day very soon she will have to face up to that responsibility.
This book starts exactly after book 1 ends, so going straight into felt like a natural continuation.
Matt features a bit more in this book which I was pleased about as I seemed to enjoy his bits more than some of the other characters. We also see the development with Rhys and discovering who he really is and this is what I liked the most about this book I think.
We also see the love triangle ore really I suppose quadrangle as there is a new party involved too. 3 men are all chasing Wendy and she has to decide which one she will go for. First there is Finn, I was really on his side in book 1 but my mind starts to change in this book, he becomes a bit possessive and acts like a total a** in places. We then have Loki, who should be the enemy but can't help but connect with Wendy. I didn't like him as much before now but he features a lot more in this book and you find out more about him and I started to open up to him.
You then have Tove, an unlikely couple but all along I could see a sort of connection between them, they may not know what they mean to each other if anything but it was an interesting development.
With these developments Finn really started to get on my nerves, he makes it clear he can't be with Wendy, but as soon as she starts to move towards one of the other guys he gets all angry and protective again. As much to say 'if I can't have her no one will'. It did get to the point where I just wanted to slap him and tell him to grow up and go away.
Wendy's indecisiveness really started to bug me part way through too, she was like a yoyo, going back and forth between them all.
However she starts to live up to her expectations and I had to admire her for that.
There seemed to be more plot structure in this one and I did read it quite quickly. It did still have it's issues but it was a lot better. Will definitely read book 3, but there are a lot of things I want clearing up and answering. I hope it brings it all together
on 11 April 2011
wow, I've read the first two books in the Trylle series in a 3 days! Addictive stuff.
if you like fantasy books then you will love this.
worth 5 stars and more