on 23 September 2013
Interesting, and still a little controversial. There is more and more research out there showing that meat and fat is completely essential to our diet; and then the history of our species - having been adapted to consume meat for many tens of thousands of years. Interesting also are the author's (justified) rants over the establishment advice, the food triangle etc.

Almost as interesting are some of the reviews to this book - a few hilarious over-the-top Veggie Police attitudes - as expected.
on 19 February 2012
You know it makes sense. This book takes the lid off the healthy eating Myth.
The only reason The 19th century had a shorter life span was because so many children died before the age of 5. So many women died of childbirth and pregnancy complications. TB. Industrial accidents etc., Not from what they ate.
They had a very good health diet and we need to go back to it. This book is essential reading.
on 6 February 2012
Like the author, I always thought vegetarians were healthier than people who ate meat, like me. I was convinced eating meat was a luxury, that red meat was bad for my digestive system and that humans didn't really need to eat other animals. Well, not any more. The Meat Fix takes that idea, the 'received wisdom' of the past twenty years that the less meat we eat, the better for us, and smashes it to pieces. It turns out humans do need meat. Meat is good for us, a necessity, not a luxury. Even the fat on meat is good for us (hooray!). The way John Nicholson tells us this is brilliant because he himself was vegetarian for 26 years (26 years!!!) and only started eating meat again as a desperate attempt to cure his serious health problems. Eating meat was the last thing he tried because it was the last thing he wanted to do. But it worked. Meat cured him. And the book is the story of how that happened and how he then set out to work out why he thought he was so virtuous and healthy for those 26 years. What happened to make him think like that? It's an amazing story and the conclusions are shocking. Anyone who knows a vegetarian or cares about a vegetarian should make them read this book. It's funny, fascinating and, I have a hunch about this, will turn out to be a very important publication.
on 18 March 2013
A good read.

I suffer from some of the problems the book describes so the information was very helpful indeed
on 15 July 2013
I like to read this book. The book have a great information and health about food and the background round the book.
on 2 January 2017
A compulsive read if u r interested in the value of what you eat! John Nicholson provides an alternative view to all we are lead to believe about 'healthy eating'. His conclusions are well researched and quite startling. Our NHS guidelines are obviously not working. Do his suggestions offer a sensible alternative? Read his book and decide for yourself!
on 22 September 2012
Don't get me wrong, I actually really enjoyed reading this; it's engaging, witty, and as a devoted meat eater it left me with the smug sense of self satisfaction which I had hoped for when purchasing it.

However, the one thing it lacks is references for the author's claims, particularly when he talks about nutrition stuff, which I'd love to quote at holier-than-though vegans i know...
on 21 May 2013
I really liked this book, and found his writing style to be engaging, honest, and to the point.

I found my way to "low carbing" ten years ago this year and through those years have moved from camp to camp until settling at a similar position to John.

What made this a good read is that, as he states himself, he's not trying to sell you a miracle one-diet-fits-all cure; he's simply giving you his personal experiences, which you are free to agree or disagree with. He's a real person, not a health guru trying to buy you in to a fad life-style.

I happen to think everything he's written is absolutely true and this is because I can see it from my own life and from the choices I make day to day about what goes down my throat.

I remember the days of trying to follow a low-fat diet, of reading gash fitness magazines like Men's Health - coming home from the gym in the evenings and cooking myself a skinless chicken breast, some rice and veg. Always hungry, and always feeling like there must be something wrong with me because I never felt fully satisfied. Nowadays I'm extremely fit (I wouldn't struggle to get on my bike and cycle 100 miles) and having to worry about my weight is something of little concern to me.

The problems of obesity and weight problems just disappear when you cut out your processed foods and stick to natural foods, and by natural I mean meat, fish and vegetables. Don't get me wrong, now and again I'll "treat" myself to a meal out, and eat whatever I want - but these treats are few and far between and are the exception to my diet, not the norm.
on 19 December 2015
This is a very interesting book and because of it I persuaded my partner to stop drinking soya milk. After he did all his heart palpitations vanished. He was quite ill on and off with erratic heartbeat, palpitations, weakness, breathlessness. After he changed to goats milk from soya milk it all stopped. Amazing.
on 18 May 2014
What made the content of this book stand out to me as being utterly correct was the deep, inner and strong belief that what I was reading was so very very true, I felt that on some sub conscious level, I knew all of this already but just needed to be shown the way. An excellent book by a very funny author.