on 23 October 2015
This was clear, practical, and easy to implement. Some of it I was already doing, and some things were eye openers. I have already begun to do some of the things recommended in this book, with positive effects. I look forward to implementing more and seeing the effects of them. The only chapter I didn't agree with was the one on punishment. I don't agree with punishment, and would rather deal in consequences. I want my children to learn, not be punished. That said, there were still elements in this chapter that I took on board.
on 17 April 2012
The Five Love Languages of Children is based on a very interesting analysis of the way people communicate (successfully or unsuccessfully) with each other. I found it quite hardgoing to understand and re-read parts of it to get more understanding of how I could use it in my own life. It's one of those theories that you have to keep revisiting and reminding yourself to use - then it works!
on 26 February 2016
Fantastic book. Quick & simple to read. Lots of good ideas to provoke your thoughts. I highly recommend the one for couples too.
on 9 March 2017
What a brilliant book - SO useful. I bought several copies to share with family.
on 17 July 2014
My daughter suffers from anxiety and my doctor recommended this book. It's a very easy read and is full of ideas. I didn't realise that by refusing to get my daughter a glass of water whenever she asked (because I thought it would encourage her independence), was denying her some love via an act of service. To her getting her a glass of water shows that I love her very much. Although I show her lots of love in other ways it made me realise that there is more that I could do to give her love that meant more to my daughter. My eldest daughter is very different and what works for her doesn't necessarily work for my youngest. I would recommend this book to anyone with children.
on 2 August 2010
this book is very good, its very similar in ways to the marriage one, but very useful in helping to understand and developing your kids.
only suitable though when your kids are old enough to answer the questions, although my 3 year couldn't i was able to work out his love lanugage.
on 26 February 2013
This book Is amazing cause it teaches you the true meaning of love.Love is not a feeling, it is a choice to show someone you care.But what is exactly your child love language? Do you know it ? The 5 love languages teaches you that each person has at least one of the five or all of them but also that each person has different love language. In order to live in unity and love with one another,we need to know our child love language otherwise children grow up with their needs unmet and relationship become a disaster.In this book Gary chapman teaches you all of this and more.It is a must have book!!
on 17 January 2016
I like the theory behind this book, and while I think there is something in it, what is putting me off is the "Christian" approach to it. The book is peppered with references to teh Bible, prayer etc. It lowers the whole tone of the book for me and if I was aware it has such strong Christian content before I would have never bought it.
on 4 November 2015
great book
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2013
This is really rewarding and practical book that I would recommend to any parent. I cam to it fresh from reading "Detoxing Childhood", a book that I found negative and patronising and that left me feeling inadequate and guilty. This book was such a relief. Its implicit starting point seems to be that parents know their own children best, that they have their best interests at heart, are fundamentally good and competent people, and will benefit from some practical suggestions. The writers seem to assume that families come in all shapes and sizes and work patterns etc and don't appear to have any interest in trying to make anyone feel bad, just in making positive suggestions. The basic premise is that children express and receive affection, primarily, on one of five ways. These are described in the initial chapters, with subsequent chapters on discipline, learning, anger, single parent families, and a final chapter on marriage. I have to admit that I was initially rather sceptical about the premise, but the astonishing fact is that it really seems to work. I have been able to identify the fact that my two older sons (it only works for the over 5s) communicate and receive affection best in different ways, and this really has made a difference to my interactions with them.

One thing you should be aware of if you are considering this book is that the writers are obviously committed Christians. However if (like me) you're not one yourself, I really would not be put off by this. It is not at all intrusive, and what comes across most strongly is the sense that both are very decent people.

I have found most parenting books to be a waste of time and money, either platitudinous (Steve Biddulph) or negative (Sue Palmer). But this one I would recommend.