Customer reviews

Hollow Earth
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.57

on 17 July 2013
This book opens with a chapter set in the Middle Ages. It grabs your attention and has you asking loads of questions and then jumps you forward to the modern day and adds more questions and introduces engaging characters – a few hours later you find you’ve powered your way through to the end of the book. Well that was my reading experience anyway, this book got its claws into me within a few pages and refused to let go.

I love the world that has been created for this book, it’s well described and thought out – I particularly loved that it links to our world through art, a few times paintings are mentioned that I knew, and a few made me look them up. I really hope that young readers will want to look up the paintings too and be introduced to some wonderful pieces of art.

I really liked the main characters, again this is a middle grade book featuring a trio with two boys and a girl, but in this book the three characters are far more equal and all have an important part to play. I very much liked that one of the main characters has a significant hearing impairment and communicates using sign language – he is written in a wonderfully manner of fact style, his deafness does not define him or become an important part of him, it’s just one facet of many that make up his character.

This is the opening book of a trilogy, it does a good job of balancing world building with action. I am really looking forward to seeing how the remaining books answer some of the questions left open at the end of this book.
on 20 May 2017
Intriguing story. Love the way that some characters are telepathic. Quite believable Celtic story, and as it got closer to the end I realized that there must be a sequel. Looking forward to book two.
on 8 September 2017
Gone to Australia for my gran daughter thank you
on 20 March 2017
Great seller, item as described!
on 21 January 2017
Loved this book, I'm an adult and I couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read the next one. Fantastic.
on 31 July 2017
Great story
on 7 August 2017
Loved it
on 11 June 2013
This book had a lovely flow to it, with a few twists & turns. Loved the concept, & will be reading the next in the series.
on 20 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to more books in the series. Please keep them coming, John.
on 2 February 2012
Hollow Earth
I absolutely loved this book, it's a great read irrespective of your age. It's action packed and a good mystery, keeps you guessing throughout the story. I could not put this down... I loved the way the authors interweaved fiction with real places and artwork. I was thoroughly entertained and felt more educated about some of the great artwork mentioned. I have sudden urge to vist some of the galleries to see the works of Art. I'm really looking forward to reading this to my niece and nephew as I know they will love the concept too and I also look forward to reading further installments about the Calder twins. Good work Carole & John Barrowman!