Customer reviews

Ghostory
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 July 2012
I stumbled across this album by accident on Amazon - having listened to the samples I liked it enough to take a chance & download.
The vocals are beautiful and the overall sound has a very atmospheric feel to it which I like. However, I personally think the songs are not quite good enough. I have enjoyed listening & getting to know the album but already it has become to me slightly dreary. I wasn't expecting commercial pop type hooks in the tracks, that's not what this album is about, but I do feel that they lack enough strength in depth to keep me listening.
An OK Album that I don't regret buying but I certainly don't think it's brilliant like some other reviewers obviously do.
on 5 June 2012
Wow. Not like me give more than good reviews as this cd is excellent. One of the few releases which will grab you from the first and does not let you go till it's finished. Only problem is to find something to play after, unless like me you just keep playing this one. Brilliant!
on 29 February 2012
Has a lot of inspired melodies and brilliant songcraft. The vocals are just as stunning as on their other albums.
Easily my favorite album of 2012 so far.
6 people found this helpful
on 9 December 2013
This is just a wonderful album. Although not quite as musically adventurous as Alpinism, I nevertheless find it a more overall consistent work. Alejandra's vocals are just exquisite, and, such is the studio expertise of Ben Curtis, the absence of her twin sister, Claudia, is barely felt. Almost everything I've heard in this genre lately is reduced to pretender status by the edgy beauty of the compositions on this album - it's that special.
It's an increasingly rare thrill these days to be moved by new music - you know the kind that insists on immediate replay. A certain chord progression or atmospheric texture that hits the emotional centre. Take the track "Show Me Love" half way through this disc. Preceded by the gorgeous catharsis that is "Reappear" (a track that could have come straight out of the movie Gravity - did Steven Price hear this before he composed that soundtrack?) we have a stunning composition that literally takes your breath away. The fuzz guitar intro, the sampled rhythmic touches, the heart-stirring vocals of Alejandra, the space synth and bass, and, most certainly, the irresistible chorus (little touches like the barely perceptible delay on "Hey") - a sublime melody I seriously can't get enough of. Magnificent - a desert island track. Play this as I pass beyond the horizon. The greatest pleasure on an album full of 'em.
Each work Mr Curtis produces sees him growing in stature as a unique crafter of electronic soundscapes taken to another level by an assured sensibility for solid melody and rhythm (from his Secret Machine days). Some of the sounds he manages to create are pure bliss. So let's not confuse this album with anything that remotely compares to the uninspired and predictable electronic meanderings that are so prevalent nowadays, churned out by anyone with a controller keyboard and Cubase. No, this is the real deal, this is the new trance-rock/dream-hop, created by a rare talent, and I look forward eagerly to what Mr Curtis and co. present in the future.

Hey,
You'll never find love within,
When you only seek love in him,
And he only takes from you what he can break.
I'd never take from you, babe.

Ten Silver Drops
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 20 August 2013
When singer Claudia Deheza left American Dream Pop/Shoegaze trio School Of Seven Bells, reducing the group to the duo of twin sister Alejandra Deheza (vocals, guitar) and Ben Curtis (guitars, synthesizers, vocals), fans were concerned that the absence of the twin sisters' harmonies would leave a void in the lushly layered sound they'd come to love and expect. But we needn't have worried. Alejandra Deheza's vocals are multi-tracked so effectively that it's difficult to detect any marked differences in the ethereal vocal arrangements, and the overall soundscape of their third album, Ghostory, stays true to the group's first two releases. Standout tracks: "Low Times", "The Night" and "Scavenger".

volt-and-volume.com
on 8 July 2012
School of Seven Bells have really upped their game with this album. It is a satisfyingly cohesive album, well produced, with instant yet lasting appeal. The sound is a mix of shoegaze and My Bloody Valentine influences put into modern pop for a sound that they have made their own. Highlights are the opening pace setter "The Night", the dancier "Low Times" with its great build up, and the slow burner "Show Me Love" with the warped guitars and lovely vocals. One of the albums of the year!
on 29 February 2012
School of Seven Bells are an American indie duo, Benjamin Curtis and Alejandra Deheza. This is their third album and the first since Claudia Deheza's departure. I liked their spooky, otherworldly harmony vocals and the spectacle of identical twins with amazing voices. But now that has changed. Their last album Disconnect From Desire was patchy and more conventional than their outstanding debut Alpinisms, and I was slightly concerned they would go in a more commercial direction.

I shouldn't have worried. Ghostory is dark and introspective, full of eerie melodies, shining guitars and grainy electronica. Alejandra's voice is warm and honeyed, dreamy and breathy. This is a confident return to form, to the spookiness that they do so well.

Stand out tracks for me are "White Wind" with menacing, chant-style vocals, "Low times" and the super floaty and hypnotic "Reappear"

I should say this has only nine tracks and clocks in at a decidedly mean 45m.21s.
9 people found this helpful
on 6 March 2012
What a top album. I think this is worth buying just for the last track ('When You Sing') alone. This will definitely be in my top albums of 2012 come December. I should have expected this, though, having really liked their previous two.
6 people found this helpful
on 14 March 2012
I bought this on impulse whilst I was on to download Grimes... best thing I've bought in a long time! Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is I'm often disappointed with Q's 5-star reviews.
|22 Comments|Report abuse