Customer reviews

Tacwise 50mm Brad Nailer - Air Nail Gun DGN50V

on 4 May 2016
Wow! This brad nailer is simply amazing! I am a keen DIYer who likes the put my hand to many things and having this tool in my arsenal is making the world of difference. I did quite a bit of research before committing to buying a nail gun and this one came out on top every time. It comes in a bright orange plastic case with lubrication oil and an alan key. Everything in the storage box has its place so you don't have anything floating around damaging things.

The nailer itself comes with the newer euro airline fittings which are shorter and fatter than the older style 1/4" fittings. I only have the older 1/4" fittings so it was a simple case of unscrewing the fitting it came with and screwing the older one in. I am running my compressor at 90psi which is below to maximum this nail gun can cope with and it works perfectly with good nail penetration into a variety of wood types.

Loading the gun can't be simpler and there is a handy indicator to let you know when you're out of nails. I've used 20-50mm nails and so far not had a single jam. If it does jam the handy quick release function allows the jam to be cleared easily.

Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase. I am currently contemplating adding the 64mm finish nailer to my collection too.
on 31 October 2017
Does not drive nail home when you nail at angle
on 22 June 2016
Very easy to use very pleased with it
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 February 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had used an air nail-gun before but it was a big cast-metal monstrosity which took both hands to lift most of the time, so the Tacwise Brad Nailer seemed a bit diminutive to begin with - but it really punches above its weight. The nail-gun is small but perfectly formed and feels solid and strong while being quite lightweight, a real advantage if you're using it over extended periods. It's easy to load, just one lever and the nail-feed slides open and you drop in your choice of brad or nail and there's a quick release nose too in case anything gets stuck, although we haven't needed to use this yet. It doesn't seem that using staples are an option with this nailer, which is a shame, but there's a good selection of brads available with a maximum length of 50mm.

We hooked it up to a small compressor set at about 100psi (Tacwise recommend between 80 and 100psi) and were ready to go in a few seconds - you can add a few drops of oil into the air-line to keep the internal mechanism working smoothly and a small bottle of oil is included. We tried out 50mm brads in a variety of softwoods and hardwoods and found the gun drives them home time after time with little effort. There's an adjustment wheel by the trigger you can use to vary the force and, in theory, control how deep the nails go but in practise we found that it made little difference and almost every nail was fully driven home. We tried reducing the air pressure and although it helped a bit the the nails were still hammered home in a single shot - so a little air pressure goes a long way with this nail gun and it would be worth experimenting with some scrap wood to get things setup the best way for your planned job. It takes standard 18 gauge brads and would be perfect for most kinds of finishing woodwork, like skirting and facings, although you might still have to manually countersink the nails afterwards, however this gun makes attaching and assembling things so quick and effortless it's still a big advantage. We've got an electric Tacwise nailer too, a 16 gauge compared to this 18 gauge, and although both are great there's no denying the punch this thing packs, very impressive (and useful!) for a nailer so neat and easy to handle.
on 12 April 2017
speeds up work
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 January 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a nail gun for the serious hobbyist or a professional who is looking for a lightweight but powerful nailgun and both of which have access to a compressor. I have to admit I'm unlikely to use this outside of my garage/workshop as I'm limited as to where my compressor will go, but for reasonably big framing jobs that can be done at my workbench I'll be using this. As I've nothing to do at the minute I had to improvise to test this out. So I had a great deal of fun once I'd attached the compressor hose, nailing odd scraps of wood together; soft and hard woods and making some mini frames. This gun will take up to 50mm brads; they're simple to install in the feeder and once in, with everything attached you're good to go. Not one misfire in the happy hour I had using this gun, which also bears testimoney to the quality of the Tacwise brads I was supplied with. It's lightweight as well, about 3/4's the weight of my electric nailer so is easy on the forearms. I was also suprised at how little recoil I got and it sounds great in operation as well. The trigger does require a bit of pressure but that's reassuring, in that it fires when I want it too and not accidently into my leg or the cat. Solidly built and feels very robust. A great addition to the toolbox.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 January 2015
Some suggested uses:
`Handy Andy' type up-cycling, makeovers, construction and securing of plywood and wood frameworks, pelmets, MDF features and fabrications, headboards, adjustments to and assembly of fitted furniture, craftwork, making boxed items, decorations out of wooden boxes, making tidy box planters, coving to plasterwork, layering wood lengths, skirtings, door frames, garden fencing adjustments, construction of bird houses, nest boxes... You can do rapid runs along a length, which is pretty useful. If it goes in wrong you may have to just leave it there.

What you get:
A robust, neat clip shut orange briefcase style box, the gun's permanent home.
A book of instructions.
The nail gun itself, light to hold and use, easily loaded, like a giant stapler. It's quiet in operations, just a burst of compressed air sending pin home, leaving no dents to fill afterwards.
The nails/pins can be bent/clipped off if required. The gun will fire them the full length of the nail. More nail supplies can be ordered from amazon. They are slim panel pins, various sizes can be loaded, we were supplied with a pack of Tacwise, which are held together in slabs, as staples are, lightly glued so you can break off the amount that you want to fit in.
Some correct hydraulic oil.
Allen keys.

You will need:
A small DIY compressor, 240 mains that matches the demand/flow of the nail gun, see the instructions. The kind you might use for blowing up tyres.
A hose, correct size, to fit onto the gun.

Safety:
The gun will not fire unless the end is depressed against the wood. Clearly it should be kept out of the way of children and only be used by competent adults.
These pins/nails will not support a great load, combined with adhesive they will do well making frameworks, but basically you will need an industrial nailer/ traditional fixings for weight bearing objects such as pallets.
on 5 July 2017
This nailer is just amazing: light, powerful, easy to use. I am currently half way through laying a solid hard wood floor in our restaurant dinning room with it and haven't had a single jam!
I didn't think a small nailer like this would be up to the task, but as the heavier nailer didn't arrive on time, I just had a go, and it's working perfectly.
Can't recommend it highly enough. So much better than the electric one I had before.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 1 February 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I used this gun to help a friend assemble an area of decking - and what a brilliant tool it proved to be.

For an air-compressed gun - I imagined it would be of industrial size and weight - it was surprisingly small and easy to handle. I had to borrow a small 80psi compressor as these aren't something most people have readily to hand.

The gun comes in a small orange case with a supply of nails and a small bottle of lubricating oil. Loading the nails and attaching the gun to the compressor was straight forward and without issue. Using the gun, again, is a doddle. Practice a few shots on some pieces of scrap wood just to familiarise yourself and you're good to go. The gun has a safety mechanism that prevents it being fired unless it's actually nose-to-nose with the surface you're firing the nail into. When affixing the decking we had just the one mis-fire and the nail cartridge was easily removed and the offending nail taken out.

So, a great addition to any keen d.i.y-ers tool kit, a robust and very capable nail gun. Being air compressed, perhaps for the more serious of enthusiasts; my personal preference would be a mains powered gun, but that's simply because I can't justify the expense of buying myself a compressor.
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Mid budget they may be, but Tacwise nail guns - or at least all the ones I've used - have all been marked out by their simplicity and ease of use, and this 50mm nail air gun is no different.

Loading the gun is a cinch, the quick release nose plate means it's a doddle to sort out any nail jams (not that I've ever had any) and the soft nose means that the gun won't damage any soft wood when you press the gun against it (be aware that the brad nails this gun fires are designed to be fired through wood, not brick or stone). The depth control adjuster is a nice touch, and the gun also lets you know when it's run out of nails.

All in all this is a quality air nail gun, and I can see why this is apparently one of Tacwise's best selling nail guns.