on 13 June 2016
Disturbing and thought-provoking and a great read
on 4 October 2016
It occurred to me, after reading the book several times, that her son might be on the ADHD spectrum. It seems inexplicable otherwise why a loving little boy should change into such an explosive, procrastinating, "lost" teenager and young adult. ADHD can make young people feel low and depressed, incredible procrastinators, and explosive. They often find it hard to "execute" things and organise their lives, be it their education, living arrangements or otherwise. Sure, the awful skunk drug probably made it a lot worse, but ADHD kids are often attracted to such drugs as a way of self-medicating their unpredicatable moods. This is not to excuse bad behaviour or consequences. But that nobody mentioned her son might have this kind of original problem or suggest help with that seems very odd to me.
on 16 January 2015
Excellent read with two diverse storylines running through it. A very honest account of a mother's love for her son and the turmoil which the whole family faced during his drug addiction. The second storyline about a young girl who died in the 1800's and the turmoil her family went through too.
on 1 January 2015
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 October 2015
Interesting jbook well worth reading.
on 7 May 2012
Not sure if I like this book or not, it flits about all over the place.
However, it does bring to the fore the problems you can have with your children and makes you think about them, even if you do want to push them to the back of your mind.
on 25 April 2013
Excellent book, helps others in a similar situation not to feel alone, admired her honesty. Felt that someone actually understood.
on 14 May 2017
I am the mother of a 32yr old cocaine addict. I have enabled him for 5 years and am now on the rocky heart breaking road of tough love. This book made me cry in many places and i very much enjoyed the story of Mary. It allowed me to come up for air. As a Norfolk girl I loved the local settings where Mary and her family lived.
on 30 January 2014
Why has anyone given Julie Myerson such a hard time? This is the most painfully honest account I have ever read. I found it incredibly moving and emotional, and I fail to see what more she could have done to help her son. However, I also feel great sympathy for "our boy" and can't help but compare him to Nick Drake - another lost boy, intelligent and sensitive but with insurmountable problems. Please tell me that there is finally a happy ending to this story???
on 1 March 2011
I read this novel because at the time we are going through a similar crisis with our boy, also coincidentally, named Jake. As you can imagine I was not particularly interested in the other side of the story about Mary Yelloly, but found the way that Julie interwove the two story themes intriguing. Two young lives lost - one to death - the other to a drug. Also I felt that Julie had to write about Mary because she needed something to concentrate on and to take her away from the heartbreak and total frustration of her everyday life. A book on tough love and how to handle addiction is noticeably missing from our namby-pamby society, where people are afraid to do what they instinctively feel is the right thing to say or do in fear of what other people think.
Whatever reason you read this book, don't criticise Julie Myerson unless you have first hand experience of the effects that cannabis has on young minds and lives.