on 19 April 2012
This warranty is only valid for Kindles purchased in the last 30 days. After purchase you'll get confirmation
through email and post, the first time i purchased a warranty from Squaretrade i also got a phone call from a
nice customer service rep who just went over some basic info - it was unneeded but not unpleasant or anything.

Once the certificate of insurance is in your hand the warranty period begins. For mechanical issues the
first year is covered by Amazon, and the next 2 by Squaretrade. For accidents, Squaretrade cover the 3 years.

Squaretrade say that you're entitled to unlimited repairs and replacements, but the small print for this warranty
states that you're only eligible for 3 Kindle replacements, once you reach number 3 your policy ends immediately.

For mechanical breakdown and accidental damage the policy is quite simple, but for theft you'll need to follow some
rules. If your Kindle is stolen you must inform Squaretrade within 48hrs and have a valid police crime number. If
you fail to notify them within 48hrs they can decide not to cover you. The main exclusions against theft are if it
was from within a vehicle or on public transport, or a property where forced entry did not occur. Keep this in mind.

The policy comes with a "Cancel Anytime" option too. Within the first 90 days you can get all of your money back
if you haven't claimed, after that period your entitled to a refund for the remainder of the warranty, e.g if
you used 1.5 years but decide you don't want it any more Squaretrade will refund you 50% of the purchase price.

The warranty is valid worldwide wherever you use your Kindle but replacements can only be sent to the UK, so if you
decide to move abroad you might want to transfer the warranty to someone else and sell your Kindle, it's free to transfer.

I have only needed a replacement once since i took out the Squaretrade warranty and the process was painless. After
calling & explaining what happened, the customer service rep politely explained everything and informed me that a
replacement would be sent out immediately. I received it within 2 days and returned the damaged one back free of charge.

This does exactly what it says and is good to have for peace of mind, especially if your always taking your Kindle with
you. The claims process really is painless and everything from Squaretrade's customer service to delivery is great.
55 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 May 2012
This is my first Kindle and as it is the most expensive I considered extra cover would be sensible in case I need to claim for faults after the one year warranty expired. This Square deal protection plan does more than just extending the cover for faults it provides three years accidental cover and all this for just £45. On purchasing this cover on the Amazon web site I had confirmation of cover and the details it provides within minutes direct from 'Square Deal'. What more can anyone ask for?
I'm very impressed indeed with the speed at which this warranty came - my certificate of insurance arrived via email delivery within hours of placing the order and a print copy was delivered by post within a few days. The ordering process does require a recent Kindle purchase via Amazon or for you to input the serial number of a Kindle registered to your account. Crucially, the warranty can only be bought to accompany a new Kindle purchase made within the last 30 days - whether on or off Amazon - so it's worth bearing this in mind if you're thinking of buying a Kindle as a present.

The warranty period will always start with the delivery date so if you decide to buy this in advance to accompany a gift however much time has elapsed between the arrival of the Kindle and your giving of the gift will also have elapsed from the total warranty period by the time of giving. But this is hardly surprising, as the same is true of the manufacturer's warranty. At least the device can be insured against theft while you have it stored - as long as you register the policy to yourself initially, and then phone Squaretrade to transfer it to the recipient.

If, like me, you bought your Touch on pre-order and simultaneously ordered the insurance policy you may find you need to ring SquareTrade and get them to update your warranty start date. I was glad that I held off on doing this until after the Kindle arrived, since Amazon managed to ship the Kindles a week ahead of schedule. The phone call itself is pretty quick and painless and the Squaretrade bods are easy to deal withl. I've had to ring them over a few issues on different policies (a warranty transfer, a cancellation after the wrong type of warranty was bought, one claim for a Kindle whose display was badly damaged, and to alter the start date for this warranty) and they've always been very helpful.

The terms of the warranty are easy to understand and set out in plain English, and the level of coverage given is superb: theft and accidental damage are included, up to a maximum of 3 replacement Kindles during the lifespan of the policy. It is an extended warranty - with 2 years added on to the manufacturer's mechanical warranty (extending the life of this to 3 years), plus 3 years accidental damage and theft protection... which apply from the word 'go'.

Of course, there are certain requirements before replacement Kindles can be issued in the event of damage/theft: a damaged Kindle must be sent away for assessment (a replacement will be sent, but your card details are required to ensure that you aren't attempting any monkey business - since the replacement is sent before you're expected to return the damaged Kindle), and a crime reference number is required in the event of theft. Over all, a very good policy.
on 26 June 2012
On purchases such as a Kindle it occured to me to consider insuring it. Rarely have I considered this action until I was gifted with a Kindle for Fathers Day.

On examing the terms of the 3 Year Protection Plan 'offered' via Amazon I found it acceptable and very simple to apply for.

Within a couple of hours the insurance was applied for and in place. The policy document and terms available for printing out.

An excellent insurance product that I would / will recommend for anybody in a similiar situation seeking cover.
on 21 July 2012
This protection plan is a third of the cost of buying a new one. That is odds of 3/1 that you are going to loss it, break it or it goes wrong. Really? Are you honestly so clumsy/stupid/negligent that you are will to take those odds? Put it another way... you think your car insurance is expensive? Well the value on this Kindle cover is about that same as paying just short of £6000 insurance on an average new family car. You still want to buy it? In that case, would you be interested in buying some magic beans?
on 16 July 2012
I accidentally ordered the wrong policy for a kindle touch instead of a kindle touch 3g. As soon as I noticed the mistake I sent off a mail to Square Trade explaining what I had done and asking if it was possible to cancel. Within 30 mins I got a lovely message from Square Trade cancelling the policy. I mailed them back to say thanks and to my surprise had a lovely mail the next morning acknowledging this. This all happened on a Sunday evening so I was really surprised at the speed of the response

If the service is anything like this then I feel extremely comfortable with the policy. Well done for great customer service
on 16 May 2012
Good informative website, quick service on setting passwords. Free 0808 number for landlines and an 0203 number for mobiles so that should be charged the normal rate for a London number from your mobile.

Everything looks ok and reasonable in the policy document, there's the usual abuse, misuse, neglect, weather, terrorism etc get out clauses.

The true value will be found if we ever need to make a claim but hey, there's the chance of winning a £100 gift voucher if I review now and I can say what I like.

If we end up claiming I'll try and review again with something meaningful.

2 months later - I don't know if I won the voucher or not - not got a voucher yet!
on 7 July 2012
I cannot envision purchasing something like yet another Kindle - without contacting Square Trade,
They are a brilliant company to deal with and the documents are sent very speedily, you download,
and that is that - worry over and you are insured against accident for three years if you want.
I believe no matter how careful you are - ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN. If you are insured with -
Square Trade - then if Accidents happen to YOU - you need not worry.
on 17 August 2012
How easy! How simple! I bought this warranty for the Kindle I bought for my wife last year. No hitches, no glitches nothing but quick and efficient service.
Well done. If only life was this easy.3-Year SquareTrade Warranty + Accident Protection & Theft Cover for Kindle Touch 3G, UK customers only
on 25 August 2013
Excellent cover for my new kindle. Good to know that it can replaced so I can carry it with me whenever I go even on holiday. Item arrived on time. Item as described. Satisfied with customer service/