on 29 July 2014
I've given this a neutral rating because I'm afraid I couldn't finish it.

Not because it was badly written or uninformative , just because I found the author a bit smug!

Sure, he's acheived a lot, good for him, but I got a bit tired of hearing about it. This may well be because I am bitter about my own unsatisfying life, but I imagine if you read a book like this, it's because you are dissatisfied with your life! I know it's a grumpy reaction, but there you have it. Sorry!

If you are not someone who is bothered by that kind of thing, I'm sure it's useful.
on 14 September 2014
Wow. Just wow. Forget about the content for a minute, I have no idea how Tim Ferriss even started the concept to writing this book. Yes, the title is somehow controversial and mis-leading (ish) but you've got to actually read the book to understand what he means. It's not simply, set up a business, don't get a cr*p, outsource everything and spend 4 hours staring at your bank balance rising astronomical. It's about being practical, doing things that's actually important and a great tools on how to save time.

He doesn't work 4 hours a week. If there's a book launch, he will go all out (i.e. 14 hour days a time) but that's when it's relevant whereas if its the usual work (meetings with start ups, emails, etc), he doesn't need to use a lot of his time because a system is in place.

When reading this book, it's important to take relevant notes and keep an open mind.
on 21 June 2009
This book takes the reader (escapee to be ! New Rich person)through the steps and the decisions on what to do and the self analysis driven by fear.

Then the authors analysis of his position. So defining, eliminating and automation and testing and then outsourcing to reach the target given in the book title "The 4-Hour Work Week".

And monthly or quarterly looking at your business process model and fine tuning it, based on outsourcers feedback to FAQs and their decision making based on the agreed rules and the resulting process improvements, updated rules and increasing sales.

Further reading and access to resources are also worth following up and maybe something to do during "mini-retirements" on the beach or mountain resort.

Product links
Feed Your Brain and Be Happy
Requirements for the Creative Brief
QMS Manual ISO9001:2000
Prince 2 Design Procedures
Do Your Own United Kingdom Limited Company Accounts and Save 1,500 to 2,000 Pounds Per Year
on 24 March 2013
I was recommended this book by two different people who had both changed their lives and their incomes as a result. At first I was sceptical but I held the two in high esteem so I bought it. I could not put it down and have now initiated at least five of the recommendations. It definitely opened my eyes to an easier way of doing things and I like the fact it makes no excuses for wanting a simple life free of work. I'm now going to get the other ones he has written...
on 9 August 2013
Saw the book in the library when I was searching for a job and I had to buy my own.

The concepts in it should be turned into a seminar or workbook. But the companion website will do for now... Gels well with any country,religion or tribe. I wished he was my big brother I would suck him dry of information..

Besides that if you really follow the guidelines in this book you will live your life on your terms but first you will need to set your life up so take the time to build it to that level and then you can enjoy it....

Thanks Tim for the advise
on 28 May 2014
I'm about a quarter way through and so far so good. I'm finding it really inspiring.
I decided to get it because I was at a finance talk at uni when a guy who used to work for a finance company mentioned in passing that he read this book before he set up his own business and he makes more in a month than he does in a year. So I was pretty convinced because he was a real guy who went to my uni and he didn't even mention the name of the book I had to ask him what it was. I was also following a girl on youtube called "girlbanker". She made some really good videos on how to get into the banking industry and she said the same thing!! So I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm up to the part where I'm "dreamlining" ie creating a structure of the life of my dreams, working out its costs and the target monthly income that I need to work towards. I think this book is a millionnaire's best kept secret. But we'll see. I'll try to do another review in a year or 6 when I've made my millions!
on 17 February 2013
Whilst some reviews have poo pooed the ideas highlighted in Timothy Ferris' updated book, I think they are missing the point. It provides information and a method for living our lives differently from the norm. This no doubt scares some people. It definitely gives some pause for thought, not just based on theory but with practical examples and up to date resources. The fact there is a thriving community on the 4HWW blog is testament to the fact there are quite a few people who are living the dream. I've already recommended the book to a number of friends.
on 20 December 2012
Tim Ferriss has written a brilliantly well considered and practical how to manual for living life so you can smell all the flowers as you romp from one outstanding experience followed by another and another. His philosophy is one to embrace.
on 13 January 2012
This is a reading on time managing and on how to focus on what's important!
Better than to be rich is to be free and productive. Well, all in one - rich, free and productive - is better, of course!
on 6 March 2015
It's well-written and easy to understand, and I get how some people could apply this to themselves, but was finding it tough to apply it my situation. If you're stuck in a dead-end job with a feasible product idea (it was more aimed at physical products, sellable products) then it'll work for you... but it also takes balls. Loads of balls.