on 29 January 2013
I was given a choice of three poetry collections to read and review as part of my university course, and I chose The Adoption Papers. Honestly, it was all down to price and the fact that I could get this one delivered to my Kindle app for Android. I knew nothing about the collection and had never heard of the poet before my tutor mentioned her name to me.

The Adoption Papers is split into two halves; the first, the eponymous poem 'The Adoption Papers', detailing the poet's own emotional journey through finding out about being adopted and how she, her foster mother and her birth mother came to deal with that. The poem is written from the three females' points of view, denoted through different font faces. The story is well detailed, the poem is not what you expect, and, most of all, is riveting.

The second half of the collection is a series of individual poems, which are also good reads; though I much preferred the first half of the collection. There are multiple poems grappling with the idea of homosexuality and the effect on one's life this has.

I heartily recommend the collection to new poetry readers, experienced readers and everything in between.
on 19 December 2016
Interesting and unusual book
on 20 November 2013
Jackie Kay writes the three perspectives of Mother, Daughter and Adopted Mother thoughtfully and beautifully. This ebook accurately portrays the paper back (no missing words or misinterpretations) and is easy to follow.

If you like thought provoking poetry that grasps you from the first page than I would highly recommend 'The Adoption Papers'.
on 1 December 2014
Interesting enough - working out who says what is a bit of a chore - the character fonts are very similar .
on 11 July 2015
Interesting book, worth reading if you have an interest in adoption. The personal descriptions of this experience from three different perspectives is great. Not an easy read but worthwhile.
on 18 July 2014
Great reading. Insightful and moving.
on 21 April 2012
Having an adopted son, we are particularly interested in Jackie Kay's writing, and she has great talent. But her writing is for EVERYONE.
Ann
on 1 February 2017
All good. No issues.
on 18 September 2016
Excellent
on 23 December 2012
Love Jackie Kay. She was on the radio and it reminded me to get it. Lovely Book. Yes I would recommend.