on 4 May 2011
It seems like ages since I caught up with Claire and the gang, but this installment of the Morganville Vampires did not let me down - it carried on the series nicely and left my wanting more at the end (the FAQ on her website says she's planning for 12 books...can't believe there are only 2 more books left after this!)

I especially like the way that certain parts are rewritten from Shane's POV - this really helped me not to hate him even when he was acting resentful towards Claire, Michael and Eve. Though if I was Claire, I wouldn't have let him get away with it quite so easily... ^^

Anyway I'm not going to tell you what happens(read the Sypnosis, or better yet, the actual book), but it is a great twist in the Morganville series and definitely lives up to my expectations :) can't wait for the next one ! Hope you all love it too...
on 7 June 2011
Even though I knew about the release of this book a while ago, I didn't read the synopsis for it. For some reason, it didn't enter my head to connect the title, Bite Club to Fight Club. Once I got into the story though, I realised how much I loved the idea for this book. The residents of Morganville, both vampire and human, are sneaky and will do anything that they can get away with. The plot, however, was extremely predictable in some parts and this isn't something I have had to say about a Rachel Caine book before. Bite Club certainly seems to be more about the action and excitement than the much loved mystery and suspense that I got from the other books in the series.

To mix things up a bit, we get some of the book from Shane's point of view and this was something I loved. As much as I enjoy hearing things from how Claire sees them, it was nice to have a bit of a change this time around. Due to a large majority of the plot surrounding Shane and what he is getting up to, this was a clever way to let the audience know what was going on behind closed doors. I don't think Bite Club would have been nearly as exciting as it was. Knowing what is happening to Shane and getting to experience his feelings with him was one of my favourite parts of the book as this is a side of him we have never really seen in full force before. Although I wouldn't want to see different points of views if each book, it would be nice to see once in a while now.

Each new book in this series provides Claire, Shane, Michael and Eve with a host of new problems and this time, there are more than ever. Characters old and new are causing trouble all over Morganville but some aren't who and what I first thought they were. As well as my favourite gang returning to sort out the mess in town, some other favourites showed their faces. Myrnin has been a favourite character of mine for quite some time now so I was glad to see him around much more in Bite Club. He is still as insane as ever but has some quite normal moments for a change. Myrnin is a character who never fails to make me laugh and always adds some humour to the insane town that is Morganville.

Unlike the majority of the other books in this series, Bite Club doesn't leave us with a jaw dropping cliff-hanger. As much as these endings had annoyed me in the past, due to wanting to next book immediately, I was a little sad to see such an ok ending. A lot does happen though and some pretty big issues are resolved so I can understand why the ending was as tame as it was though. Hopefully, this wont be happening again though. I love the crazy endings where anything could happen in the next book.

The only real problem with this book is where it stands in the whole series. By now, a lot has happened and anyone thinking of starting with this book would be extremely confused, even with the small introduction chapter, explaining what Morganville is all about. Other than that though, having read the rest of the series, I loved it and cannot wait for book 11, Last Breath.
Though I am 42, when I discovered this series at my library, I tracked down and read every book in the space of 10 days or so. I was hooked, and I had to agree that, as my librarian said, this is a series that is wasted on the YA population of North London, where I live. I'd been waiting for this book with baited breath, and whilst it was good, it wasn't as fast-paced nor did it move the series on that much.

Yes, several things happened in the tale, but one would think that if a major, major baddie had been captured in the last book, after a major, major battle, then he would have been kept under a strong enough guard so as not to be able to escape. And, despite Amelie being back in control and stronger than before the battle, with Oliver now as her second-in-command, and with Mirnin working behind the scenes to assist, you would have thought that they would be more in control. Yes, they were aware of the vampire gym, where humans and vamps were being pitted against each other...but they seemed to be sitting back a tad too much and simply observing, not plotting. On top, they knew that Bishop was on the loose, but it didn't seem as if enough effort was being made to track him (his blood-bond to Amelie should have allowed this, should it not?).

And yes, the romantic relationships in this series do make the series what it is, so it was nice to hear that Eve and Michael are engaged, and I for one, am really interested to see how the relationship will survive and get its HEA if Eve doesn't get turned...As to Claire and Shane, yes, he acted like a brat and a prat (the latter partly excuseable as he was glamoured), but he seemed to forget that he was still in Morganville, where things are as they are...and which won't change easily.

Overall, it's a decent book, and maybe with Claire getting an 'out' to go to MIT (not sure if this will be with or without Shane), the series will change a little, but it kind of feels as if it is concluding. A pity.
VINE VOICEon 5 August 2011
You would think that, what with this being the tenth book in the series that Caine would be struggling to keep it going, but you would be wrong.

Somehow she manages to keep woowing us with every new book to the series and this time is no different and this could be the best yet!

Living in Morganville with Vampires means there is always something going on and this book is no different. After thinking that we had sorted out the mutiny of Bishop and his followers from the last book you would assume that danger has passed and the perpetrators dealt with. But this book reveals that this is just not so and with the opening of a new gym which offers classes in self defense and the chance to defend yourself against the Vamps, who is to pass it up in Morganville, especially as you have guessed; Shane.

This book centers a lot around Shane and we see side of him that he has been hiding, one that is not the Shane we know and love and instead like he is a completely different person. The deterioration of his sense of self is key to the plot and the build up to, as always, an action packed crescendo.

There are moments which will make US understand why Shane is being like he is, why this side has come to light which is stylistically done through Shane narrated segments scattered throughout the book. Beautifully done and filled with emotion, we find ourselves understanding and empathising with Shane's behaviour, while we don't justify it.

In the end though, the inner battle he faces is one he has to overcome himself and it is hard to take as we feel the pain of Eve, Micheal and especially Claire trying to help. It is also one that may not be so easy to brush under the carpet. In true Morganville style we are left with an ending which reminds us of the important things and leaves us to wonder how Caine is going to take for book 11.

It really is testament to Caine how realistic she has made Morganville and all the characters who we can relate to and love enough to care what happens to them. She never fails to give us what we want and at the same time as providing action, suspense and love. There is always something new around the next corner, or rather the next page. Its just so easy to read and get lost in the world of Claire, Shane, Eve and Micheal and you can't help but secretly want to be apart of it.

Caine does not fail to deliver in yet another outstanding edition to one of my favourite series of all time.

Cassandra220689
on 26 April 2011
I really enjoyed book 10 of the Morganville Series. I thought by book 10 this series may have run out of steam but it hasn't. I hope there are more books to come and I look forward to reading about the future adventures and scrapes that Michael, Shane, Eve and Claire will no doubt find themselves in. A throughly enjoyable read.
on 8 June 2011
These series of books are a fantastic read: they are exciting, funny, gripping and entertaining. The characters are easy to relate to, and it won't be long before you become entwined in their world, and leaving you wanting more. These books are suitable for both teenagers and adults who want to escape reality. I have all of the series, and can't wait for 'last breath' in November. After reading this vampire series, all others will seem mundane in comparison.
on 1 June 2011
I was so happy when I got the book and it didn't dissappoint! If you like the other Morganville books then you will definitely love this book. Can't believe there's only two left in the series! Roll on the 7th Novemeber for the next installment.
on 24 August 2011
I'm mainly reading the rest of these books because I like to find out the endings of things however I can safely say, I'm getting very bored of these books. It's becoming so predictable, Shane is jelous, gets into trouble and Claire saves him. It never changes!! I really hope that Rachel Caine considers killing a main character in the next book just to make it more interesting! I wouldn't recommend these books to anyone, maybe the first few but after that it seems like they are all the same. I might change my mind in the next book if she makes it a bit different but that's to be seen!
on 10 March 2012
A new gym has opened up in Morganville and it's already creating a stir by offering classes teaching the human residents how to defend themselves against vampires. But as Shane becomes more and more embedded in the gym lifestyle, he begins to change. Claire, Michael and Eve are thrown by the new Shane, quickly realising that there must be more to it than meets the eye...and discovering a horror Morganville thought was gone forever.

This is the tenth book in the Morganville Vampires series (after Glass Houses,The Dead Girls' Dance,Midnight Alley,Feast of Fools,Lord of Misrule,Carpe Corpus,Fade Out,Kiss of Death and Ghost Town)and I must say it was a little bit of a let down. The majority of the focus seems to be on relationship dramas and I ended up getting frustrated waiting for something to happen. The plot moves slower than in previous installments, until near the end where it suddenly becomes incredibly fast paced.

Parts of the book are written from Shane's perspective, but to be honest if they hadn't been marked out I may have missed the transition as he doesn't have a particularly distinctive voice. That said I understand the need to have scenes that show how the gym is working behind closed doors, something Claire wouldn't have access too.

The action is well written on the whole, portraying events without becoming a dull blow-by-blow, and I was surprised to find that Eve actually fences. It hasn't been mentioned before, but this book shows that she can stand up for herself in a fight brilliantly.

All in all, this was an okay read and I'm looking forward to Last Breath.

Plot: 8/10
Characters: 8/10
Ending: 9/10
Enjoyment: 8/10
Cover: 8/10

Overall: 41/50
on 12 January 2014
This is technically a re-read for me, as has been the rest of the series so far. But seeing as I read this book nearly 3 years ago, it feels pretty fresh and almost like a new read.
I had a few days break from reading, just got too busy and I found myself missing the characters, like friends you haven't seen for a while, and when I picked it up again today I instantly fell back into the story and setting.
This book is different from the others for one big thing - it's not just told from Claire's point of view anymore, we now have a few chapters told from Shane's pov and I really liked it, gave the story a fresh feel and was good to get into his head a little bit.
Morganville has faced a lot of dangers up to this point but you can't relax yet, a whole new world of trouble is brewing, this time someone has set up an internet video ring, showing boxing matches between vampires and humans, but there is something more sinister behind it and when Shane gets involved, Claire has to figure out exactly what is happening before Shane and all of Morganville are brought down.
There is a lurking presence of an old character that although is on the outside and you don't really see him, you can certainly feel him there and it's spooky, really sets the atmosphere. There are some new characters too that will really set your spine on edge.

This series is great, with some book series this long it starts to get boring and repetitive, but Rachel Caine has a real talent for keeping it fresh and interesting and I can't wait for more. Now 2/3 of the way through the series I am as hooked as ever and look forward to seeing where she takes us next.