Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.79

on 21 November 2009
I loved this book. It is so beautifully written and despite the harrowing details of the life of the couple and their family through the history of China in the 20th century they survive demonstrating the power and capacity of the human heart. I really enjoyed the mixture of Chinese history and mythology which worked so well with Sam's poetic language and the narration by the Kitchen God. An exquisite love story and a must read in my opinion.
- Pema
on 17 December 2012
Have almost finished reading this book and felt I must review it. I have so enjoyed the story as well as the history of China under Chairman Mao. I travelled on holiday to China 3 years ago and it has been such an insight into how these people lived during the Mao regine, which I was totally unaware of.
One of the best stories I have read for a long time,and although I am 70 years old now I had no insight in 1960/70 how the people were treated and how they lived . A wonderful story and really thought provoking as well as an education.
on 2 January 2011
Seldom does a book pick me up in the opening paragraphs and rarer still, compel me to read it slowly so I can absorb the depth of its words. Under Fishbone Clouds is such a book. Their trials are made all the more poignant as they speak to family, deepening love and the whole of the human condition. A rare book and an artistic blend of the narrator and the story.
on 2 December 2012
I would recommend this book to all who have an interest in China. It is an easy read, well written poetic language mythical stories being told by the Kitchen God who is overseeing and telling the story of the life's journey of Yuing who has an arranged marriage with Jinji.
Along the way we are introduced to the various decrees issued by the ruling factor, the Chinese President Mao. We get a picture of a population which is so oppressed that they follow what is presented to them with few questions asked..Yuing and Jinji endure great privations with stoical fortitude, losing each other and their chi.dren for many years.
One cannot help but compare the China of yesterday with that of today.
on 24 March 2011
This was my valentine's present book and he excelled himself this year. Combining the contemporary history of China with its mythology, the resilience of its people and an exploration of the essence of love, this story is written beautifully and is utterly believable. One of those books that you can't stop turning the pages of, but you just don't want to finish - read it!
on 27 May 2014
When I started to read this book, I wasn't sure about the fist person narration by the kitchen god; it seemed a bit twee, but as I got into it,I found that this works. It ties the subject firmly into Chinese culture, from the inside, and reflects the conventions of Chinese novels of the past. And the point is that you do actually care about these characters, you go through their trials and tribulations with them.Even if you know what is coming, from the many memoirs of the period, still this novel makes it all fresh.I read it in double quick time, anxious to know more...
on 11 March 2013
I thought this well worth reading; a story about the power, nature and importance of love set against the background of the horrendous recent history of China. I would be interested to know if the depiction of China is realistic from a Chinese person who also lived through that period. If it is then this is an amazing achievement. But the book stands as a work of fiction in any case.
on 15 June 2014
An amazing story that unfolds in a changing China reveals the challenges a country and it's people face from day-to-day and transformation to transformation. Meekings' understanding of the Chinese culture is sage-like. He is masterful in his story-telling, drawing the reader into the thoughts and feelings of the characters, even those of the Kitchen God and the Jade emperor; weaving ancient tales and current affairs together. "Clouds" is a gift to both the Chinese people and to the Western world - a gift of understanding - that transforms the world one heart, one love, at a time.
on 30 December 2012
I really enjoyed the way that Sam weaved recent Chinese history throughout the story. And sadly identified how short our collective memories are.
on 18 January 2016
Lyrical prose describing lives lived from the Japanese occupation of China, through the Cultural Revolution and up to contemporary times. The novel is written with an authoritative understanding of China's history and mythologies. The novel is a saga, in some ways, with the central story being wrapped around by legends told in the voice of a narrating kitchen god; it was a lovely accompaniment to a recent China visit, providing another insight, though it is ultimately melancholic.