on 19 February 2011
Donor is not my usual genre, womens fiction being my natural home.... But I so enjoyed reading this book: I read it in the space of 48 hours, the suspense kept me gripped! The plot is intricate, full of twists and turns, just as you think you know what's going to happen, something new happens throwing you back into the suspense. Against the sinister medical plot backdrop, the human interest stories of Amanda and her family, and Dunbar's relationship with Lisa maintain the emotional engagement of the reader. A great read, thank you! This book would make a brilliant film!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 June 2012
The first in the Dr Dunbar series, but I haven't read these in any particular order. Mr McClure has delivered another sensational thriller in this up to the minute story of medical ethics, private health care , animal rights, donor organs and so much more.

For me, these stories work so well at every level. Mr McClure's medical background means that the plot is plausible and, more worryingly, quite possible. Accepted practice is challenged and the norm is stretched to take the reader ona page turning ride which could well be reality. I like the Dunbar character because he has a believable background and his actions and motivations ring true. He's not particularly exceptional but the situations he meets are diverse and many are thought provoking. So the plot and characters work well as a straightforward medical thriller, where it's difficult to second guess the outcome. On the way, the reader is invited to consider ethical and moral issues. Should money buy medical privilege, to what extent is it right to involve animals in experiments, what are the options to resolve the shortage of donor organs? Other issues are raised and explored, but in such a way that the reader is left with food for thought. There are no simple answers and in this, as in other Dunbar stories, both sides of an is sue are presented without particular bias. Thought this was a great start to the series, was gripped from page one and was still reading at two o clock in the morning because I just couldn't put it down. Thanks Mr M. Another cracking tale.
on 26 April 2017
Love it
on 30 May 2016
What a brilliant book the best I have read in ages looking forward to reading all the Steven Dunbar stories so glad I have now discovered ken mcclure brilliant!
on 18 April 2013
A well written medical thriller. Although I wouldn't say it was edge of your seat riveting, it did keep me interested and I will probably read more from this author.
on 1 April 2013
I enjoyed this book from start to finish I... it's goid value for your money and I will read more from this writter
on 8 April 2012
love all the books in this series and this is an absolute bargain for 89p! Dr Dunbar is a great character and kept me reading up to the end.
Two children die straight after what should have been straightforward kidney transplants and a diagnosis of rejection is given, however two nurses independent of each other question the decisions and are both fired.

Dr Steven Dunbar is sent undercover to the Medic Ecosse Hospital in Glasgow to uncover what really happened.

To tell more would just spoil the story, however, the plot sounded totally plausible and therefore kept my attention.

I thoroughly enjoyed the way Stephen Dunbar went about finding out what was really going on and I look forward to following Dr Dunbar through the rest of the series.
on 9 June 2017
My first by the author and it had me sitting on the edge of my seat throughout ! Two children dead after rejecting a kidney post transplant in a private hospital and a third about to have the same procedure . Two theatre nurses sacked for attempting to whistleblow and now the government has stepped in with a medical detective to figure out what is going on . A read full of suspense and disbelief from start to finish .
on 13 August 2011
Expecting not too much because the book was less than £1, I was pleasantly surprised. Unusual story, interesting side-plots and good momentum. OK, so the book doesn't stand beside Karin slaughter or Lee Child but, then again, very few do. Blessedly for a medical thriller the author doesn't try to prove how clever he is by introducing convoluted medical terminology and processes (I'm a Dr already, I don't need a textbook disguised as a thriller!), rather the medical aspect is kept plain and simple but still conveys the necessary jeopardy of the plot.

Rather well executed, I thought.