Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

The Desperate Bride's Diet Club arrived through the post at the most perfect time for me having just started my diet I could easily relate to the characters and their situations.
The book follows the progress of five characters who, for their own individual reasons want or need to lose weight. Although our main character is Violet who is a size 20 unhappy bride to be, the story still moves around each of the characters so we get to see first hand how each of the characters are coping.

I had mixed feelings about the is book at the beginning, I found the first chapter so entertaining I literally laughed out loud I found myself thinking that Violets actions would have been something I could imagine myself doing! (sorry I can't tell you in more detail, otherwise it may ruin the humour for you!).

After the first chapter we meet each of the other characters in turn, we have Lucy, Maggie, Kathy and Edward. It was at this point I was a little worried meeting so many leading characters, as books like this I usually find I get the characters mixed up and forget who is who. Luckily this wasn't the case by the time I was just under a quarter of the way through, each of the characters had been developed so well that each character came into their own as they all had completely different backgrounds and reasons to lose weight.

I loved how the group all came together to help each other out not just with the weight loss but other personal and realistic problems too. Although the books was based around the diet club there were no quick fixes or fad diets the book really helps you to remember the only sensible way to lose weight is to change your eating habits and move your bum! I found that reading this book really helped to keep me motivated on my diet.

I really enjoyed the parts of the book where Violet goes to the Gino's Delicatessen, this is where I felt the authors writing was at its best. I can only imagine from the passion that comes across when talking about her visits and anything to do with the topic of Italy, that this must be a subject close to the authors heart.

I really enjoyed this book and I would definitely look out for future books by this author. If you are on a diet I urge you to read this to give you some much needed motivation and a lot of laughs!

A slice of Humour, A splash of romance for a guilty pleasure!
on 24 June 2012
This book is so good its about five overweight people who need to diet they go to slimming club and the leader Trudie is a complete bitch. Every word in this book is so true its one of the best and most enjoyable books I have read in a while. Its laugh out loud funny in places and an inspiration if your on a diet and a real feel good book. Its excellent.
on 18 June 2012
I enjoyed this. The characters seemed true to life - Trudie was vile! I liked the way the narrative was written from the view point of each of the five main characters and the way each character's background and their motivation for losing weight was gradually revealed as the story progressed. I found towards the end I couldn't put the book down. A great read. I look forward to reading Alison's next novel.
on 26 July 2015
Awwww this cheered me up. I was super busy so couldnt finish it in one sitting but made sure i has time at night to read just before bed. It was like a bar of chocolate to devour just before going to sleep! loved it!!!
on 23 February 2015
This is essentially a book about five people's struggle to lose weight and gain confidence to turn their lives around. The bride in the title is Violet who is obsessed by M&S chocolate cake - cue an extremely funny opening chapter. A very enjoyable light read. May even inspire you to start healthy eating yourself!
on 28 May 2012
Grabbed this book as I sat out to enjoy the sunshine on Saturday, couldn't put it down and was actually sad when I finished it on Sunday. A really lovely tale of 5 characters, bonding over their issues with their weight, and finding support in each other to change their lives. Really witty, honest and just the right amount of cheesy romance. I will be passing this book on to my best friends to enjoy.

Can't wait for Alison's second novel to be published!
on 2 December 2012
This is the first book by Alison Sherlock, and if I didn't know that I'd think this was an author who'd be writing books for some time. I love books about clubs and friendship, so this had me hooked from page one because it had two of the best elements. I was rooting for violet to get rid of the horrible Sebastian but you'll have to read this to find out what she does. Loved this from start to finish. Cannot wait for The Desperate Wife's Survival Plan out May 2013.
on 6 August 2015
Thoroughly enjoyable romp. At last a novel with lots of characters that start off obese. Getting thinner isn't the magic wand they were expecting but the book skilfully takes you through a variety of faddy diets and leads you to the same conclusion as the characters in the book: The only way to lose weight forever is to change your lifestyle, eat less, exercise more and it takes months! I thought it was a very healthy approach to weight loss. The characters were well rounded and likeable. There were quite a few characters to keep track off but they each had their own story that developed at a good pace. I enjoyed the italian aspect to the book. A really good, light read.
on 25 February 2015
Absolutely loved this book, characters were real and it's a great chik read. Higly recommend. All of Alison's books are easy comforting reads. Funny in places too.

Easy to visualise all of the characters, especially Trudi! Lol
on 21 June 2016
I couldnt put this book down I loved the characters and their different stories and journeys they had to make to achieve their goals most people will relate to the characters in this book, cant wait for the next one..