Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£10.99

on 26 January 2012
Just had to comment on this album. Most of it's cover versions granted, but what a fantastic job Chris does to them!!!. He has a great voice.!!! And to all the critics, (including the BBC ones) remember that PRESLEY, ORBISON etc did "covers" and they too did great versions. I rest my case!!!
on 30 January 2012
A brave move to record an album that features mainly covers of such well known classics. Also many have tried re-create the sound and "feel" of the Sun studios over the years with varying levels of success. (Even RCA struggled with Elvis' first session with them back in 56.) Added to this everyone with a passing interest in rock and roll and 50/60's pop will know most of these songs and there was always the danger of them being pale comparisons...or worse still stray into karaoke territory!. However this cd blows away all reservations from the off with a bright and breezy reading of Ring of Fire through a number of Presley, Perkins and Orbison tracks that deserve to be heard in their own right. Chris adds his own vocal style and approach that is faithful to the original but different enough to keep the listener interested. The use of one or two slightly less familiar songs such as Presleys I Forgot To Remember (taken slightly faster but with the same shuffle drum beat) add flavour to a really strong collection. Even on the really well known hits Isaacs never tries to sound like the originals with keys and arrangements tweaked to perfection to suit his own style. I did will him on to hit the high note at the end of Its Now or Never though!!...which he does without sounding strained.
Overall a great album and a welcome return for a great artist paying and playing due respects to his own idols....and I suspect this will be the reason that most will pick up this CD
on 15 January 2012
I am a big fan of Chris Isaak and was very eager to get my hands on this cd. If you like Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash et al then this is a must have for your collection,

Chris Isaak has a voice that does proud to the originals. Fantastic album
on 4 January 2012
Chris Issak has put together some great music and put his stamp on it in his own unique way. It is a real pleasure listening to it.
on 28 January 2012
Chris Isaak visits Sun Studios, Memphis, to record a selection of songs as a tribute to previous visitors such as Presley, Orbison, Lewis, and Cash. Timeless classics, beautifully rendered, with great instrumental backing. The tracks have a real 'period' feel to them, and if like me, you love the music of the 50's and early 60's, you'll be in your element. This disc has 'best-seller' written all over it. Buy it - you'll be glad you did...
on 27 January 2012
I ordered this CD after having read a very favourable review in my favourite R & R monthly magazine which I receive from Gateshead. I first got interested in Chris Isaak when I saw him on the Jerry Lee Lewis "Last Man Standing Live" DVD and I have personally not been disappointed. To have taken on such a project must have taken a certain amount of courage as let's face it the late great Sam Phillips really did find us some great artists. These are not just covers as Isaak, like Jerry Lee Lewis, works each number well and puts his own individual style on them. Lovely to hear two new numbers, "Live it Up" & "Lovely Loretta." As another reviewer has already said this is almost essential background listening for those of us who enjoy our music from the second half of the fifties. A good place for a newcomer who enjoys our music to start.
on 27 January 2012
Loving the old Sun days of Elvis and co, thought this might be a bad comparison, so, even though most of the songs on it are post Sun days actually, it's a great CD and well worth having, and Mr. Isaak does the songs credit, especially love Great Balls of Fire and think he makes a better job of "Can't help falling in love" than Elvis actually (sorry Elv) Altogether a great addition to our record collection and well worth having if you're a lover of the original oldies, makes a pleasant alternative change
on 26 January 2012
Probably a better production than the original artists' recordings. Chris Isaak has produced the ambiance of, and is probably a little smoother? than, the original vinyl recordings. I shall enjoy having this as background and it would be good party music for ancient rockers like me.

The CD in this edition is black and looks like a miniature vinyl record - nice touch I thought, once I had worked out which way up it goes ;-).
on 26 January 2012
So the BBC don't rate or understand this album. Just goes to show how much they are out of touch. There is a vast audience out there who would just love to have access to their archives of the 50s and 60s, but what do we get...Nothing. BBC3 and 4 is just filled with a load of c**p to make up the hours. It is, therefore, the likes of Chris Isaak to recreate the music of that era, and a great job they do of it as well. As for this particular album - when can we have the follow up please?
on 25 January 2012
Isaak shows his roots and influences on this excellent album, but at the same time it does go to show just how great the original artists were. Nonetheless it's a fun cd with some interesting sleeve notes from Chris.
I do think that it's rather misleading to suggest that this album was recorded in the "original" Sam Philips Sun Studios,706 Union Street where Elvis recorded. As I understand it, after Sam Philips moved to a larger premises, this site had various uses before a re-creation of the original studio was opened at 706 in 1987.
Anyway here is some vintage Chris Isaak (shame about the rubbish cardboard packaging!)