on 13 February 2017
I read this author's 'The Shift' which was how the then PC Thoroughgood became a policeman before reading this, the first in this series. He's now a DS in Parallel Lines, older and I believe wiser.
Sorting out the the low life scrum running Glasgow's nightlife and drug problems is not for faint hearted or any police officers who don't continually look over their shoulders. Especially when the danger isn't just from the criminals.
This is a cracking read, with a shocking ending. The fact this author was a policeman in a previous life certainly comes through in his writing.
on 18 March 2017
good read
on 11 January 2014
Poorly written;patronising to Glasgow and Glaswegians;unlikely plot. The story is unlikely. The idea is old hat. Best buried with the bodies.
on 27 June 2011
I recently received a Kindle as a present and was looking for some good novels to read on it. I stumbled across Parallel Lines while searching through the crime section and decided to take a chance on it based on the cover which I recognised to be an aerial shot of Glasgow. I was pleasantly surprised at the choice I had made and have to say that for a debut novel the author jumped straight into the action from the opening chapter and maintains the suspense, excitement and action right the way through. I am a big fan of the Ian Rankin "Rebus" novels and Parallel Lines is in a similar vain with main characters I could really believe in from the central "DS Thoroughgood", to the Glasgow villain "Meechan" and their joint love interest "Celine", who provides the pivotal point in the triangle that links good and evil. Very bloodthirsty in places I was genuinely interested in all the supporting characters and what happens to them, even the criminals. A well written novel and I really hope the author has some others planned and I will keep an eye out for their release.
22 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 March 2011
I snapped this book up because the picture on the front cover caught my attention. It is a street close to where I live and that was probably the reason for me buying it in the first place.

I have never read anything published by R.J Mitchell but he has made a terrific job of this book. It's interesting, has plenty of twists and I didn't want to put the book down once I started.

As someone who purchases books regularly on here, I like to add a review and you'll find many of them throughout the book section. There are few books, however, that come close to matching this one.

Tom
on 14 May 2011
I would not normally read this type of book as I tend to like Biographies but I really enjoyed this book as the characters and the language used are very believable especially to those living in the West of Scotland. The only criticism I have is that I found the name Thourghgood hard to relate to I don't know of any other Thourghgoods and I doubt there are many in the west of Scotland phone book I feel a more feasible sounding name would have helped me relate more to the character. I hope there are more books on the way as I can see great scope for the stories to continue who knows it might be the new Taggart !
on 4 July 2011
Well, how often do you get a book that has it all,page after page leaves you gripped into a what will happen next.

The characters are easy to profile and believeable in everyday life. I am pretty sure Strathclyde finest will also relate to someone in their office or division.

Once you start to read this, be prepared to sit up to the wee small hours as you follow the path of intrique and inticipation to what will happen next. I agree some of the police jargon lost me, and being an upstanding member of society maybe the writer should just briefly explain some of the departments and what the initials stand for.

I do believe there is words on paper for a sequel to this book, well hurry up as there are a few waiting to continue with the drama of DC Thoroughgood and Co.

If you haven't bought this book or got yourself down to the libary to order, then getting going now you wont be disappointed.
on 11 May 2011
Not knowing what to expect from a debut writer I was immediately pulled into a fast moving adrenaline fuelled ride. The characters were believable and with a story line which pulls you along kicking and screaming through the dark side of Glasgow's underbelly and the Glasgow police's efforts to keep the snarling beast under control. A great read with pathos and a good dose of that self deprecating humour Glasgow is famous for, I enjoyed it from start to finish. More please Mr Mitchell.
on 22 April 2011
I'm an expat living and working abroad, but I studied in Glasgow and lived in the West End for over 15 years. I return to Glasgow's West End quite frequently to visit friends and family and all the local haunts. I recognised the cover picture of the book while online book-surfing (bookshops have a very poor selection where I live) and decided to make a purchase on Amazon.

The book vividly took me back to Glasgow, set amongst the bars and restaurants of the West End and I thoroughly enjoyed this first novel by RJ Mitchell - I look forward immensely to his second book. The story is set well and gathers momentum and pace very quickly before twisting and turning to it fascinating conclusion. Characters are built very nicely and there is some excellent historical background story-telling to local monuments and sights. I cannot wait to read RJM's next novel and will be eagerly following his novel-writing career from afar.

Parallel Lines is an excellent read and a must-buy for anyone living in or associated with Glasgow's West End.
on 5 May 2011
The intriguing title, reminding me of an album I owned in the 80s, caused me to take an interest in this book. Realising it was set in Glasgow I took a gamble on the purchase and was very pleasantly surprised at how much the story gripped my attention. From the opening paragraph onwards the story was fast moving and full of many interesting, quirky twists and turns, with many graphically described emotional and often violent outbursts; reminding me of a good friend of mine's squash playing characteristics. The author has set the story in many familiar locations in Glasgow adding to the realism of the story, and the characters are straight off the streets of the city. I took the book on holiday and enjoyed it immensely. One evening I decided to read a single chapter in bed, 2 hours later I found myself still reading; I had to find out the story ended. In conclusion I would highly recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys the work of a good crime writer.