on 28 September 2013
I had seen the dreadful reviews of this film along with the disastrous box office performance and as an independent film maker was interested to see what had made it so bad. However after watching it I thought it was an honest and entertaining piece of work that brought the Edgar Rice Burroughs style of pulp fiction and imaginative fun, brightly to the screen.
I think the reviews were unfair, it certainly won't win any acting awards but the cinematography, CGI and flashes of humour work really well and if viewed with an open mind, gives an entertaining two hours. the price for the DVD is very low but it's worth having in any DVD sci-fi/fantasy collection.
on 21 April 2014
OK, I will keep this reasonably short. We all know this was a super flop for Disney when first released theatrically and a week before its release the critics just had their daggers out. Why? I just watched it for the first time and was half expecting something really bad. Absolutely not. Its a great adventure fantasy scifi movie with elements of so many fantasy adventures with some scifi and western elements thrown in. It also reminds of some of Star Wars with the Mars creatures, Tharks and had a brilliant martian dog named Woola. Visually its stunning and not over CGI'd. And judging by the high overall rating here on Amazon and a decent 6.6 on imdb, there are many people who thoroughly enjoy this. Sit back, don't take it too serious and enjoy the ride for an adventure on Barsoom.
on 7 January 2015
Don't know why this was slated so much. It's a great film overall with good effects and acting. The casting of the main characters is pretty much spot on and the CGI Tharks are amazingly detailed. The science is a bit sketchy in parts perhaps, but the story is a good one. For me a sequel would be great but that looks unlikely even though the Edgar Rice Burroughs books give loads more scope for this. Not sure the 3D version adds much extra effect to the film but this seems true of a lot of 3D films recently.
on 24 August 2013
I must admit to having my reservations when I saw this advertised for a fiver, and the bizarre monsters in the background didn't help, but I thought, "What the hell - for a fiver?"
It's a cracking good, swashbuckling tale of science fantasy.
Like all of that genre, it requires that you suspend your disbelief and just let yourself go but then you're rewarded with a brave but unwilling hero character, a beautiful warrior princess, battles on another planet, great props and scenery, weird and wonderful people and creatures, some good humorous moments and a well put together story.
Just don't expect "reality". (Whatever the Hell that is...)
Just my cup of tea: loved it!
on 19 November 2012
As the title of my review says "A hero from page to screen". Now I know this film didn't do well at the box office but as far as I'm concerned it's already one of my favourites. I have been a fan of the tales of John Carter as penned by Edgar Rice Burroughs since first discovering them in my local book shop in the late 1970's. At the time the books had been published by Del Ray with fantastic cover art by Michael Whelan & they were the kind of exciting escapism a teenage boy could loose himself in. Indeed I still have all the books & I re-read them all from time to time. Imagine then my delight at finding that a big budget movie had been made about my favourite pulp hero. As to the film itself, it's true it is not entirely accurate to the books but it has captured the spirit of the stories perfectly. The story itself is best described as science fantasy & concerns the adventures of the title character, an ex American Civil War Cavalry Captain who is mysteriously transported to the planet Mars. If I were to be really critical, & this is an entirely personal view; the books themselves feature a lot of sword play & I feel this was just a little lacking in the movie. That aside it's great family entertainment & I hope it enjoys more success on disc than it did on the big screen, indeed everyone I know who has seen the film has only had good thngs to say about it. The Blu-Ray picture & sound are superb & the impressive visuals are shown off in fantastic detail. Buy it, watch it, & hopefully it will spur you on to read the books & loose yourself in the world of Barsoom among the Tharks, Banths, White Apes & Red Men.
on 5 January 2016
One of my favourite films, panned by the usual bunch of film critics but what more can you expect when they critically acclaim boring films like Lincoln and similar that are the perfect cure for insomnia. Plenty of action and a few comedic moments, a great film for the family.
on 17 December 2017
Cor, the girl who plays co-lead is a cracking girl. Actually, though the plot and script are pretty naff it is very entertaining, especially Lynn Collins, gorgeous. The Special Effects are rather good too. It is never a bore and will take its place in my collection for regular outings.
on 10 November 2013
This was always going to be a tricky film to get right. Your dealing with a beloved series of books whose fans will pick any changes to the story whilst trying to adapt the story to more modern sensibilities.

That the film was a failure in the US box office is well documented but in my view it was a failure in marketing rather the film content which lead to it's poor showing.

The film brings in elements from the subsequent books and it's would have been great to see how they where resolved had the planned sequels proceeded.

If you're a fan of old fashioned simple adventures give it a try you'll not be disappointed.
on 16 February 2017
The most underrated movie of our time.
3 people found this helpful
on 6 July 2015
Well, I bought it because I like this sort of film and I wondered why the critics were so rude about it. It is terrific fun and really enjoyable. Yes, it is probably 30 minutes too long, but it is full of wonderful special effects, a good story line, good battling evil and so on. Nearly every review praises this film, and rightly so.