Customer reviews

Lumines Electronic Symphony (PS Vita)
Price:£23.99+ £5.99 shipping

on 23 February 2012
Lumines is a classic arcade game now. You make squares out of two different coloured blocks. It sounds simple but it really is hard to master.

The game can control by touch screen or using the buttons. You never have to select the option to use one or the other so you can mix how you like.

Presentation is beautiful. Each song has its own unique theme and background. Song selection is great - particularly like 4AM.

Many different modes available - Voyage plays through every song on the game until you eventually lose. There are no loading screen and the game beautiful transfers from one song to another. Time Attack mode where you can play either 30, 60, 120, 300 second periods. Playlist mode so you can only play to songs that you like. All modes par playlist feature leaderboards with friends/global and weekly/daily to see how you stack against other players.

There are RPG elements where you level up and unlock songs for playlist as well as Avatars that each have their own ability for single and dual matches.

Only main issue is that to use the Avatars ability, you need to get its rating to 100%. To do this you can build up blocks but it is slow. You can use the back touch panel to increase its rate but it makes the game much harder to control.
5 people found this helpful
on 15 July 2013
I travel long distance a lot and picked up a Vita to keep me entertained during those long and uncomfortable journeys. The first game I picked up for it was Lumines. Having enjoyed the PSP iterations, I wasn't disappointed by Q Entertainment's latest offering. The game is based around rotating coloured blocks until you match up four or more of one colour in a fashion similar to, but not exactly like, Tetris. It is addictive and fun and has kept me busy for innumerable hours.

The only thing stopping me from giving the game five stars is the fact that the background transitions between songs can sometimes be distracting, making certain parts of the game (especially when you're struggling) more difficult than they should be. I'm also not a massive fan of all of the music which can be a bit patchy in my opinion. Then again, that's all about personal preference and these points certainly shouldn't put you off buying a fantastic little game.
One person found this helpful
on 3 February 2014
I received this game, put the card in my Vita, and I have not removed the card since. I play it nearly every night. The achievements are tricky but not impossible (I have all but two, and the final two just take time to get).

I'd recommend it to anybody who enjoys puzzle games such as Tetris and Columns, along with an affinity for electronic music. Most of the music in this game is licensed music, I didn't know much of it, but there were none that I outright hated!

I'd like to add that some people say that this "isn't a Tetris beater" and to those people I say, they are missing the point. Lumines places more of a focus on sound and music. Tetris is a timeless classic, you can't replace it with anything (despite Lumines being so excellent!)
on 25 May 2013
As good a game as this is, as I've come to expect from the series, there's no longer any justification in releasing a game on disk/card with such a small number of trophies and no platinum. It doesn't detract from the game itself, hence why I've rated it five stars for fun, but as a product it's sorely lacking. However, if you're going to buy it then definitely get the retail version as it's much cheaper (incredibly/gallingly, the download on the Playstation Network is £30 - a total insult) and you can always sell it on afterwards.

I'd go into more detail, but to be honest the game itself is pretty much what you'd expect from a Lumines game with some minor tweaks here and there.
on 27 May 2013
This has some nice and fun features, like the fact that the way you play can affect (or add to) the music, it can get addictive especially in the never-ending 'voyage' mode (I've caught myself once or twice playing without pause/losing for nearly 2 hours straight!), but in the end it isn't really much of a real game, it's more like the classic Tetris game, just a bit more fun.
I can no way justify the high price I paid for this, but I was reading some reviews giving this game more credit than I believe it deserves. Well, since it never actually 'ends', I guess if you have nothing better to do before you go to sleep at night this can perhaps replace the 'sheep-counting'... :)
on 7 July 2014
Tetris style game, minimalistic menu's. Techno/electronic soundtrack. Japanese style to in game graphics. Simple easy to play, hard to master. One problem for me, you WILL game over after first 3 music tracks. Then you have to listen to the same music tracks over and over again. Got slightly tiresome in the end. However still a well made game to play without thinking to much.
One person found this helpful
on 9 February 2014
I first played this on XBLA, nothing mush has changed. Its still a very enjoyable puzzle game but lacks something when compared to games such as "Tetris" (GB and DS) and "Super Puzzle Fighter" (PS1 and GBA).
If its not too expensive and puzzle games are your thing then give it a go, you will probably be please that you did.
on 18 April 2012
A good musical puzzle game... The track selection is excellent, and I'm not even a fan of techno... Annoyingly, unlocking new tracks is painfully slow, as the journey mode forces you to start the same sequence all over again everytime you play, which gets boring after a while. It would also have been nice to be able to listen to the songs without playing (i.e. use the game as a compilation of electronic music). Sadly, this does not seem possible... In short: a fun and addictive little game with unique aesthetics, but a few minor tweaks could have made it substantially better.
on 18 November 2013
I'm still an avid player of tetris on the gameboy colour, but Lumines has grabbed my attention away a little bit. I loved it on the PSP so snapped it up on vita (much cheaper on Amazon than on the PS store) and my wife and I have hardly spoken since other than to say "get off the Vita, it's my turn"!
on 5 April 2012
I'm a casual player...well, I was, until I (sweetly) fell in the trap of purchasing the PS Vita and this game together with Rayman Origins....Now, Rayman is gathering dust in my drawer in favour of this puzzle game. God, it's so addictive that hours literally go by!! After a week playing non-stop I'm mastering it and scenes succed each other in quick succession thanks to my ability to create chains. The music selection is so catchy (starting with Everyhing but the Girl's 'The future of the future (Stay Gold)) that you forget what surrounds you..

By far, one of the best puzzle games to come out for the console so far...let's hope they'll bring a second series..