on 25 October 2012
This is pretty much what you'd expect from a modern pocket-sized compact camera, of this size and price. It takes nice photos, and most of the usual suspects are available in the "scene" selections. But there are a few features that maybe set it apart from many of its competitors, and are the reasons I chose it:

-Optical image stabilisation. This is a rare feature on a compact camera. It works very well, and is extremely useful on a camera of this size - where you don't have much to hold on to, to keep the camera steady. However, don't imagine that it's good enough to get a sharp indoor photo, one handed, while you're riding a unicycle - It helps a lot, but you've still got to do your bit to hold the camera steady.

-Autofocus is faster than most cameras of this size and price.

-The easiest-to-use panorama mode I've come across. I can't understand why they don't put this in ALL Panasonic cameras (it's notably absent from my wife's FS35, and my own FZ150). Of course, it's no match for manually stitching individually-captured full-resolution shots to make your own panorama, but I suspect the target market for this type of camera is not interested in anything that "manual".

-Low light performance is better than many similar-spec competitors, with and without flash.

-The flash is a bit less prone to making people's faces into fluorescing albinos, than some competitors.

-Although there is no dedicated movie record button, the "Mode" button has Movie as a permanently-available option for quick selection. I note that this is better than the more expensive Panasonic FS35, where you have to use up your Custom scene slot to achieve this.

-Full auto mode ("Intelligent Auto") generally gives very good "point and shoot" results under most conditions. I find that I only rarely need to manually choose a "scene" mode, or change any settings. And isn't that exactly what we want from this type of camera?

I give it 5 stars because I think it's better than most cameras in this market segment.
105 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2013
I bought this camera as a compact and easy option for my holidays and it is certainly easy to use and great value for money. Of course it has its limitations as is to be expected with this type of camera (zoom etc), but this is outweighhed in my view as it is so easy to use. I didn't have time to check out the instructions properly before going away so I just charged it up and went away. The mode menu is very easy to use and simple to navigate and so far the picture quality looks fine when viewed on the PC although I havn't got any of them printed out yet. I havn't loaded the software either as I didn't get round to it but will do that when I get the time. Managed easily to download from the SD card so even if you don't want to connect to a PC it is still easy going.
The camera is very compact and easily fits in the pocket which is also a bonus as my other camera is very bulky. All in all I am pleased with this purchase and would recommend it as a good quick snap camera.
4 people found this helpful
on 13 September 2013
I bought this camera because of its wide angle lens, and I have been absolutely delighted with it. How many times have you not been able to get far enough away from a building or a group of people to get everything into the picture? This camera solves all that. If you want a smaller field of view, you simply zoom in with the knob on the top.

If you use the intelligent auto setting, the camera detects human figures and faces in a way that amazes me, automatically using the flash to highlight faces if they are against a bright background. The picture stabilisation feature works like magic, so if you use an extreme zoom setting, you don't need to worry about camera shake - you can photograph distant objects clearly.

The only negative point I have found is that if you take movies, you have to select the amount of zoom before you start filming - you can't change zoom while recording.

This Lumix is light and fits into the hand perfectly. I bought the Panasonic DMW-PSS13KK Leather Case for FS Series too (see my other review), and it fits perfectly.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 August 2013
I got a refurbished one; it was actually an ex display, but showed no signs of marks, wear or anything at all.
At £44.99 I think it was great value from DealMania - all props to that supplier.

I like having the Leica lens and that was the reason for this choice, all the fancy software is a side issue with an unknown lens and Leica have a good rep for their lens.

All the functions work well, good picture, I see no REAL benefit in paying for the recent upgrade at all at this time or in the next 2 or 3 years. More-so as build quality (flimsier/plasticy/flex) seems to get more flimsy with all products on each new 'update' these days!!
on 4 June 2013
I already have a FS35 which is excellent and got this simpler one for my 85 year old mother in law. I was very disappointed to find that the screen display is nothing like as bright as the FS35, which makes it hard to see on a bright day. Nothing was said about this on the camera description but it's a very important feature especially for an older person. Otherwise the camera works fine
5 people found this helpful
on 29 December 2012
Just a superb little camera for every occasion. Can be carried in a pocket or a purse, is up and running in a second.
The quality of build is excellent, as is the quality of the images produced. In 'idiot' mode it will give you an excellent result whatever you are photographic (within its limits, of course), and if you want to fiddle about a bit deeper with settings, it allows this as well.
All in all, a great little pocket camera. I would not hesitate to recommend it.
3 people found this helpful
on 29 December 2012
Bought this as a Chistmas present for my 8 year old grandaughter, to replace an earlier Panasonic Lumix camera that that she'd had and loved from her 5th Birthday until a friend broke it a few weeks ago. This new camera has a better specification than the older one and there is a noticeable increase in picture quality (although the original was very good and reliable),
If this camera lives up to the early impressions and proves as reliable as its predecessor it will most definitely deserve the five stars I've given.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2013
I normally use my two big Canon EOS digital cameras but I just wanted a small pocket portable that I could use when on holiday or just for family snaps. I'm delighted with this little camera. Lovely bright little screen. Great pictures. Lots of useful modes and surprisingly for a pocket camera, they actually work! The panorama mode is great as well. Photograph a whole horizon or long group of people all in one go. Excellent. Well worth the money.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 5 October 2013
Good basic lumix camera with limitations. I paid £56 but it still worth the list price of £88. I bought it for my daughter and she has no problem with it. Takes good pictures in a variety of settings, decent selection of scenes, intelligent auto works better on panasonic cameras than any others. I used a TZ9, and now a TZ40 as my main camera and this is a cut down version of it. It's small, light, easy to pocket, takes good pictures in good light, certainly for an album. Video is HD and very good but no zoom. The flash, especially fill in flash tends to overexpose but it easy to alter the exposure compensation - which is the only way to have any manual control. I became very familiar with this model after my main camera broke on holiday. Of course there is a lot of noise at the higher iso levels.
Reading the negative reviews I think you get what you pay for to some extent and it seems they should be paying a lot more. But this is a good basic camera with a few bells on
One person found this helpful
on 28 January 2013
This was bought as a Christmas present for a 10 year old. who desperately wanted his own camera. It's nice and small the: controls are simple and intuitive. It gives great results under typical snapshot conditions and looks to be very well made. The lens is good for sharp A4's under favourable focus and lighting conditions. image stabilisation panorama and scene settings are not always all available at this price. Great value.
3 people found this helpful