Customer reviews

on 15 April 2012
...what a novel!

This is 'steampunk' with the emphasis being very much on the 'punk' rather than on Sherlock Holmes. It doesn't so much give you cultural refernces as pin you to a wall and hose you with them. Everyone knows that genre-fiction relies on the reader collaborating by suspending her/his disbelief; but this is a book that requires your tying a bungee-rope around the ankles of your disbelief and chucking it out of this stunt-plane. The author isn't interested in helping you, by allowing you to spend time taking in the scenery of an alternative history, or distracting you with complex character-development; what you're given instead is action, more action, and yet more action.

The focus of this book is the thrills and spills that will grab and speak to your inner adolescent boy (whether you are male or female). Those who are determined to believe they lack an inner adolescent boy and/or would prefer not to meet him this side of Hades, will hate it.

I think this is a book that demands a sound-track... I'd suggest "The Tra-La-La Song" by the Dickies (as featured in 'Kickass' the movie), with all the dials turned up to eleven.
on 19 May 2013
Great adventure which is well written and does not drop the readers level of interest as the story unfolds. I would recommend this to all lovers of Steampunk
on 22 May 2013
It was a very great book, very fun to read. It made you want to keep on reading until the end.
on 4 June 2012
Possibly suitable for young children, if you want your kids to become extemely chauvinistic. I like steampunk, I like Sherlock Holmes, I like space adventure, I like werebeasts, I like fantasy, sci-fi, and adventure, but not all inexpertly tangled together as if by an eight year old with a thesaurus and a strong case of ADHD. Massive plot holes, contradictions, and unbelievable characters make this a must-hate for all self respecting readers. Don't bother, or, get the sample, then imagine a cameo by every genre of villain possible, and depthless heroes.
Women: The self-proclaimed feminist token-female lead is the worst kind of stock character I've ever had the misfortune to view, the author's writing if which leads me to suspect he has little or no respect for women in real life.
Men: do you think women should fall and break their ankles at key points of narrative? Tis is the book for you! (as long as the other problems don't bother you.)
Children: there are better, much better books out there.
Anyone enticed soley by the steampunk aspect: Lindsay Buroker. Excellent, engaging, believable, fun and funny. And full of blood and guts too! Regularly has a few books on kindle for free, to entice you into the series. Well worth paying though.

Conclusion:
I hate this book. I have never hated a book before, not even Twilight (because I refuse to read it. I do, after all, know the storyline #thanksmedia).
22 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 October 2012
This started out fairly promising, with a degree of imagination employed by the author in creating an imaginary London. The title character is a poor rendition of Sherlock Holmes, done so badly that I could not tell if it was merely badly written, or if it was supposed to be humourous, in which case it missed the mark by just as wide a margin.
There is a lazy attempt to connect with actual European history that serves only to highlight the authors ignorance and lack of research.
There are very, very few books that I do not finish, but I just couldn't summon the energy to continue with this.
on 25 June 2013
enjoyed it and finished it quickly but spent a lot of time wondering whether it was a spoof 'ripping yarns' or aimed at pre teen kids.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 March 2012
I wasn't sure when I first started reading this wether I would like it, I love Sherlock Holmes and like reading steampunk but had reservations about a combination of the two. Boy was I wrong. I liked it from the word go and couldn't put it down the more I read. Lots of lovely Holmes references and the steampunk world it is set in is colourful and vibrant. Can recommend it to any that like either genre. Thoroughly enjoyable read, am looking forward to more in the series (fingers crossed).
on 27 June 2013
I love kids books they are so easy to read, very captivating from the first page, good if you like steam punk
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 April 2013
Absolutely incredible I just wanted to read more I wish you would write a sequel about Ignatius Doyle Jack mason and Jack's prodogie.