Customer reviews

on 22 August 2011
If you've read The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich or similar books you will have been caught by the inspiration they contain to live life differently. Like many others though the ideas in books like these often lie in the back of your mind gathering dust amongst the other things in life you're just waiting for the time to do.

The Accidental Creative is the solution to all of these great ideas it is the how to of Poke the Box and getting things done. It lays bare the requirements for living a fulfilled and satisfied life, aligning all the parts of your life so they work together no matter how busy you may be. Unsurprisingly the key to success is in the planning, being honest with yourself and creating boundaries.

Todd Henry is an inspirational writer with practical, implementable, real-world ideas we can all benefit from. Not just for entrepreneurs, not just for creatives, but for anyone who would like to achieve a lot more with their time.

All you need to do is know how to give yourself permission to achieve.
13 people found this helpful
on 21 February 2016
As a creative agency owner, I found this book so helpful in both reinforcing things I'd recently learnt and giving me inspiration for lots of new ideas. Currently implementing many of my learnings that will no doubt benefit me, my agency and my team. I am armed and ready. Thank you Todd.
2 people found this helpful
on 29 September 2013
good good book... very insightful, full of good and helpful hints to help creatives and other to be more productive. Easy to read and good all the way to the end. This is a book I will be dipping into again and again!
3 people found this helpful
on 24 September 2015
Brought for my daughter as she will find this very helpful for uni.
on 22 July 2014
I'm on my third read through and using it in a variety of situations when working with leaders across business sectors. Brilliant. Rob @ Blue Hippo Media/Impatient Management
on 24 October 2015
A great insight into breaking down the barriers we all have to just getting down to creative work.
on 4 April 2017
Absolutely love Todd Henry and love the book!!
on 30 July 2015
Love it
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 February 2012
Contrary to what this book's subtitle suggests, even people who are highly renowned for being "brilliant" cannot turn it on "at a moment's notice." The great value of this book is to be found in Todd Henry's explanation of how "purposeful preparation and training using the tools in this book will directly increase [his reader's] capacity to do brilliant work," and do so more often, if not (as he claims) "day after day, year after year." I agree with him that, with appropriate guidance and what Anders Ericsson characterizes as "deliberate" practice, almost anyone can be more creative (make something new or create a new combination) or more innovative (make something better, or improve with a new combination). Those are worthy objectives, to be sure, but gaining the skills needed is best viewed as a process rather than as a destination.

This is what Henry has in mind when observing, "If you want to deliver the right idea at the right moment, you must begin the process far upstream from when you need the idea." Also, he urges his reader to adopt the goal of being prolific, brilliant, and healthy in order to produce "great work consistently and in a sustainable way." All three are essential. Tony Schwartz would add that energy renewal is essential to being healthy, as are proper nutrition and systematic physical exercise. Burnout remains a serious problem, especially during an economy such as the current one. Recent research indicates that, on average in a U.S. workplace, fewer than 30% of employees are actively and productively engaged. More than 70% are either passively engaged ("mailing it in") or actively disengaged, doing whatever they can to undermine operations.

Throughout two Parts (i.e. "The Dynamics" and "Creative Rhythm") Henry examines business issues such as these, discussing each in a pragmatic rather than theoretical context:

o The dynamics of creative work and of team work
o Their side effects (explaining how to deal with the "assassins of creativity")
o Focusing on what is most important
o Building and sustaining important relations between and among individuals as well as organizations
o Collaborative brilliance
o Energy allocation, conservation, and renewal
o Creative stimulation (if not inspiration)
o Time allocation and efficiency
o "Checkpoints" for cohesion of creative initiatives
o Coordinating the "natural rhythms" of intentionality, choice, and discipline

The earlier reference to Anders Ericsson supports Henry's acknowledgement that although creativity may seem accidental, spontaneous, situational, etc, it is almost always the result of an on-going process during which skills are strengthened through disciplined practice under expert supervision. Creative capability is vulnerable at all times to "assassins" that include dissonance, fear, and expectation escalation. Meanwhile, there are tensions to be managed, such as time/value, predictable/rhythmic, and product/process.

I agree with Henry that how we define greatness defines who we are. I also think that how we define greatness clarifies who and what we can become. This is what Henry Ford had in mind long ago when observing, "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right." What do you think? Todd Henry suggests, "In the end, it's probably the single biggest determinant of the course of our life."
8 people found this helpful
on 29 November 2013
I absolutely love this book. I haven't finished it just yet but I cannot overstate how many valuable life changing lessons I've already learnt! I love this book and Die Empty. I've already started implementing the values I gained from this book into my daily living.