I bought this for my kindle and apart from the fact its in black and white it is a very good reference book to have within easy reach when you are out on a shoot. I haven't read the book but have dipped in for information and have found the info easy to follow and effective. I know that there are literally thousands of books, websites, magazines out there that will claim to tell you that they "make you a better photographer" but everyone is different, I have read a load of photograph books since getting back into photography 3-4 years ago and its horses for courses, I have founf this book handy to have around and easy to follow. Definitely worth havinf on hand when out with a camera.
on 10 November 2012
I view this book on my Kindle for PC to benefit from seeing the photos in full colour with the plus of not having to deal with the refreshing (positive to negative to positive) after every photo on a Kindle device.

This is a book about composition so a camera spec is incidental, though the author does include the occasional note for 'superior' cameras. For example, he suggests using card or an umbrella to shield a subject (a flower) that is in bright sunlight, to avoid bleached colours. This is such a simple and effective solution (I can't believe I didn't think of it!) which epitomizes the value of this book. But he then adds advice for those with cameras where the aperture on the lens can be changed and I feel a little bit deprived.

Some of the advice can be applied equally to painting and drawing, such as the 'rule of thirds' which we were taught in art classes at school (but comes naturally to some of us). He extends this quite nicely and provides some stunning photographic examples. To be honest, I think most serious photographers and artists apply this rule excessively now and I find it quite refreshing to see the occasional 50/50 picture (or just off-centre to irritate the brain) with something special in one of the halves.

Where photography differs (in simple terms) to painting is we can leave out anything we like when painting but a camera will catch everything including poles out of heads, for example! The author covers this area of layers/dimensions perfectly. I'm fine with landscapes but when it comes to people I concentrate too much on the subject and have indeed produced some horrors - I've uploaded a couple of these if you want a laugh!

I also like how the author gives us 'permission' to break the rules (intentionally) when cropping. Although he doesn't specifically refer to them in this respect, his examples of tops and sides of heads being chopped off are brilliant.

There is so much worth reading in this book - even experienced photographers could pick up a tip or three - some may seem obvious but seeing it in 'black and white' endorses the synapses.

The author shows us some cracking photos as well as giving us advice and as I say in my title I love the horse with the disgusting teeth!
review image review image
on 12 January 2012
Great book!Packed Full of ideas and techniques that will help any photographer improve. A bargain and must have for every photographers collection.
on 6 January 2012
This was perfect for a beginner like me. It's full of really effective tips and I especially loved the section on taking landscapes.
on 28 November 2012
A must buy for anyone who is interested in learning about taking really good pictures. I knew nothing before reading this, and now whenever I now go to take a picture I always use some of the Ideas and techniques mentioned in this book. It's funny how I don't even need to think about the book it's just there. Amazingly good value for money for what you take away from it, I would wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone.
on 18 February 2014
Not to all photographers tastes in that this book does not follow the line about "If you don't buy this then you are no good as a photographer". A practical volume bought for Kindle use but there are hints and tips for photographers of all experience. A good read and then read again.
I like it.
on 30 November 2013
This book is about taking better pictures no matter what camera is used. I have been reassured that I don't need a professional DSLR to take better pictures. What I need is a camera and the knowledge to get the best picture with what I have. Excellent, saved me a lot of money on a top of the range camera.
on 2 October 2012
Short, but it covers all the basic building blocks required for good photo composition in most areas. Friendly, very readable text with good illustrations, to quote the cliche, it does exactly what it says on the tin, and it works acceptably on a B&W Kindle reader. It is well suited to those intending to take their photo skills up a gear or two. I guess more experienced photographers may find it old hat, but the principles hold, whatever the skill level. If you want to understand why the compositional 'rules' work then you could delve into 'The Photographer's Eye' by Michael Freeman, but only if you want to go beyond the 'how' and explore very deeply the 'why'. Personally, I think they sit nicely side by side in my collection, but I'll leave you to guess which one is read the more frequently.
on 13 February 2013
There are lots of hints clearly explained, making the budding photographer want to grab camera and get out there trying out these ideas.

Written in an engaging style and avoiding techno-speak, this is a most useable little book.
on 10 August 2013
That's not a bad statement. The book is simple, memorable (for when you are out in the field, and leaves you wanting to go out with your camera instantly. I could have carried on reading the tips.