Customer reviews

on 25 November 2013
A great set that brings recent Dickens interpretations together. Altogether there is a lighter touch than in previous presentations although Dickens is never very far from despair. Bleak House was the best of the group. The series gives a great window on the brilliant characterisation that is Dickens. True classics that still have immediate relevance today.
on 27 May 2017
Hours of absorbing viewing; worht it for Bleak House and Little Dorritt alone.
on 10 August 2015
We were into Dickens at the moment,having watched "Bleak House" over a two week period made my wife and I start reading again.The 200th Anniversary Collection did not appear to indicate which DVDs it consisted of,when I ordered it,but it contained Great Expectations,Little Dorrit,Oliver Twist and.........Bleak House! All the productions were vintage BBC, and ,as I recall, follow the books closely. The books were the soaps of their time, and by watching one episode at a time we felt that we were experiencing the "pot-boiler" aspect of Charles Dickens's works, and looked forward to the next evening's entertainment.If you like Dickens,these are all good examples of his works,and the Collection is very good value for money when compared to the individual prices of the DVDs. John
VINE VOICEon 9 May 2014
This box set comprises nine discs in all: Little Dorrit 4 discs, Bleak House 3 discs and Great Expectations and Oliver Twist one disc each. There are several additional features embracing interviews with actors, photo galleries and other background items such as staging, and the set also includes an introductory booklet.

If we've read the books it's often easy to say: 'That's not like it was in the book.' With these four adaptations I found Oliver Twist to be least like Dickens' original work, but I didn't mind because, for me, the adaptation was actually an improvement on the original. As some of us will have discovered, Dickens is not the easiest Victorian writer to read. Sometimes he does 'go on a bit' and his characters are often more in the nature of being caricatures. So much so, in fact, that some of them can get a bit silly at times.

I've always preferred reading George Elliot, Mrs Gaskill, the Bronte sisters, Anthony Trollope and Thacheray, which is why I absolutely love to have Dickens on disc. You don't have ever to have read any of Dickens' novels to enjoy watching all of these adaptations. We can always nit pick, but it's hard to see how any of them could have been adapted much better. Since Little Dorrit is one of the strongest characters ever created by Dickens, it's inspiring to see her so well portrayed as in this production.

I could go on to quote more examples of how well other characters are acted, but there's really no need because the BBC has made such a good job of adapting these four novels that all that is needed is for reviewers to encourage others to 'watch and enjoy'. The adaptations are of the kind that will bear watching over and over again. I'm old enough to remember the days when many Suffolk villages still had their blacksmiths' forges and farriers shoeing facilities or 'traverses' as we used to call them. The sound of hammer on anvil, the smell of burning hoof and the whinnying of horses were among my earliest memories. There was even an eccentric old wealthy lady and, I too, had to eventually leave my rural idyll to make my way in the world. Here we have an inspirational adaptation of 'Great Expectations', arguably the best of all Dickens' novels.

My father was born just a few months after Dickens died and I grew up among people who had started life as Victorians. Every day I continue to meet people who are so like the characters in these wonderful adaptations. I even know a lady who keeps birds in an aviary that fly all round you when you go inside it – just like it happens in Bleak House, which in this box set comes across as a truly all time great adaptation. I'll say no more other than to emphasise that, if you love well made films you can do no better than to invest in this box set, which so skilfully honours the genius of the one and only Charles Dickens.
on 14 December 2014
Great collection. Some of the best versions of Dickens ever filmed I think. I especially loved 'Little Dorritt' which is the one I really bought it for but found that 'Oliver Twist' and 'Bleak House' were both brilliant - I missed these when they were on tv. 'Great Expectations' didn't quite hit the spot for me although there were some wonderful performances in it however I think the Pip and Estella weren't particularly convincing.
on 31 October 2013
If you like the BBC series then this box set is great. This I a good collection of well produced dramas. Bought as a gift and it didn't disappoint.
The BBC is well rehoused for its period dramas and excellent dramatisations of some of the best literary works. This is a beautifully packaged dvd boxset of 4 of Charles Dickens great novels as dramatised by the BBC. The four include Great Expectations, Little Dorrit, Oliver twist and Bleak House. There are nine DVDS in the boxset.
Great expectation and Oliver twist are contained in single dvds. Little Dorrit is contained in four dvds covering all 14 episodes. Bleak house which has episodes 1-15 is contained in three dvds. This is the 200th anniversary collection and the packaging is like a book with nine pages, each plastic page houses a disc. This fits snugly into the outer package. A lot of care and attention must have gone into this production and the result is an elegant boxset. There is a side pocket on the main boxset containing a booklet with synopsis and information about each drama.
Great expectations stats Ray Winstone, Gillian Anderson, David Suchet and Douglas Booth. Little Dorrit has an extensive cast including Mathew Macfaden, Claire Foy, Tom Courtenay, Alan Armstrong to name but a few. It comes with a special feature Little Dorrit - An insight and Picture Gallery.
Bleak house spanning 15 episodes stars also has an extensive all star cast. It comes with special features including interviews with Gillian Anderson, Denis Lawson and Charles Dance.It also has commentaries the writer Andrew Davis, Producer Nigel Stafford -clark and directors Justin Chadwick and Susanna White.
Oliver Twist one of the most read or produced book of Dickens is given a new lease in this BBC production, with Timothy Spall, William Miller, Adam Arnold, Tom Hardy, to name but a few,The special feature here is being the scenes and a new twist on Oliver twist.
on 12 February 2014
Bought for my father for Christmas, he was really pleased with it
Arrived quickly and was a great price, very pleased. Thankyou
on 2 January 2014
This box set comes with four fantastic BBC adaptations of Dickens tales: Bleak house (3 Discs), Little Dorrit (4 Discs), Great Expectations (1 Disc) and Oliver Twist (1 Disc). BBC are the best at adapting from page to screen with their high quality actors and storytelling. I highly recommend to anyone who loves the likes of Jane Austen, the Bronte Sisters and Charles Dickens or anyone who enjoys good quality storytelling.
on 28 January 2013
Superb just finished watching all of them. Excellent , will watch them over and over !! Wholeheartedly recommend !its a must buy for period drama lovers!