on 16 October 2009
I loved every single volume of Colin Dexter's series of inspector Morse mysteries. This is definitely not your average leisure time reading. You have to follow the individual stories quite closely otherwise you will not be able to work out "who did it". There are plenty of twists and turns in these novels but if you follow it all rather closely you should have no problems working out who the culprit was.
Having said that I'll make an exception for "The Jewel that was ours" because I think there were simply too many plots for anyone to work out what really happened. Colin Dexter probably thought so too because he reveals everything in a great reckoning at the end of that particular novel.

Inspector Morse is a real character. Granted the chap is a serious alcoholic, womaniser and ill-tempered most of the time and perhaps these characteristics don't fit in well with today's values. However, Morse displays a rather fine mind and to be honest without him and his antics these novels would be boring. Besides, he is a stickler when it comes to wording matters correctly which adds a quality to these books which unfortunately so often is missing in today's average detective novel.

A lot of the reviewers of individual novels in the collection have compared these novels with the Inspector Morse television series. I personally don't think this comparison is valid. A television series would be aimed at a far larger audience and could presumably never be as "complicated" as the books otherwise the audience might lose it. I have watched some episodes of the TV series and I suppose they were entertaining.

But to tell you the truth I think you are better off reading the books.
on 21 September 2011
This box set contains all the full length Inspector Morse stories published between 1975 and 1999 written by Colin Dexter. In these books Inspector Morse solves a series of murders in the Oxford area helped by his partner Sergeant Lewis.

This is a great way of collecting the Inspector Morse stories and they come in a nice box to keep them in. As a fan of the television series I have also enjoyed reading all the books.

There is one Inspector Morse book missing from this box set and that is a collection of short stories called Morse's Greatest Mystery. Those wishing to have all the Inspector Morse books will have to purchase this separately.

This box set was given to me as a present because I like reading and collecting books. All the stories are great and include some interesting quotations, some you will be familiar with, others you won't.
on 15 October 2013
I am not convinced that this is the genuine article. The contents contain numerous typographical errors, Morse would be most unimpressed. The pages are falling out as the binding glue seems not fit for purpose. The concept of the complete collection was exactly what I was looking for, unfortunately the product means that reality is a long way from my expectations.
on 13 August 2013
All these books and in a smart container too for under thirteen pounds. If you like Colin Dexter or enjoyed Morse on TV then give this a go. I must admit I bought it for myself but it would make a superb gift.
on 4 November 2011
Brilliant. We had a couple of the books previously and saw this set advertised, it's nice to have the whole collection in one place.
on 2 June 2014
Don't know how they do it for the money - every Morse tale for less than £1 book inc. delivery-. The Kindle that my sons bought me for xmas is never going to get loaded up if Amazon continue to charge £3.49 for the E-version!!
on 18 July 2013
All 13 books in a nice case, came well packaged. After watching all the inspector Morse series I thought I'd give the books try and they are fab, once you start its hard 2 put down.
A must for any Morse fan
on 31 July 2013
You would have to have been living on another planet for a long time not to have heard of the detectives Morse and Lewis. They are a well known pair of TV cops. They were created as a series of books by Colin Dexter. I am an avid reader, and because this complete collection of Inspector Morse stories was available at a silly price I bought them. Of course they are different from the TV characters. I knew they would be. But I found I am not the right person for these books. I find them all very samey - Dexter has created a lot of situations which are laid down, and change throughout the books. Yes, they are clever, but there are a lot of characters in each book and I really do not find that any of them are sympathetic so I don't care what happens to them. I am just not the right person to be reading these books. However Colin Dexter is an acclaimed writer, and must have made a lot of money out of selling the stories to be made into television dramas - so that is alright then.
on 25 April 2013
I was really delighted with the collection. I haven't watched the TV series so this has been all new to me. Really nicely written, and a joy to read
on 24 April 2013
Was a gift for my Mum and she loves it. Excellent value too for so many books, very good :)