Customer reviews

on 5 July 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this. After being disappointed with first two heroines in this series, I hoped the third one (Pen) would be a better person and I'm happy to say she was. She was a very sensible heroine, with a kind heart and this I believe is what made this book. I finally came to understand the heroine (who also appeared in the first two books). Didn't really care much to see Juliana, heroine from the second book appear even briefly in here as I just could not like her. However, I enjoyed Penelope and. Lord Verwood's story and would recommend it to any regency romance lovers.
on 21 March 2012
The story kept me wanting to read more, without big surprises or extreme plots. Lord Verwood was a little bit contradictory, but, that just make it more real. Good book for an evening after work or to read on a weekend at the park.I also read the other two stories linked with the book and I would say much the same for the three books. I would recommend buying the 3 books.
on 4 May 2012
Penelope Talcott is the orphaned daughter of a vicar now forced to live with her aunt and uncle. Her best friends are Lady Catherine Harcourt and Juliana Hutton who she met at school. Whilst there they were nicknamed The Three Disgraces.

However Catherine and Juliana are now married (see previous books) and she is being pushed into marriage by her aunt and uncle. While out enjoying the countryside she literally stumbles upon Lord Verwood. A cord has been strung across a lane where he is riding and but for Penelope falling over it would have ridden into it with dire consquences.

Lord Verwood tries to shrug it off but Penelope thinks it was done on purpose. She decides to take an interest in Lord Verwood's problems and sends him a drawn sketch of someone she saw just before the 'accident'.

Lord Verwood's late father was a scoundrel and made money by keeping the secrets of several high profile people. Now someone is trying to kill him, but who. Penelope's involvement has now put her in danger and after an attempt on her life Lord Verwood decides he can protect her better by marrying her.

Lord Verwood's late father's victims are the most obvious suspects but there are many. He takes his new wife to his estate in Cornwall but all is not well there. The local inhabitants dislike him because of something he did while a young man. He could not defend himself at the time and still cannot as he was sworn to silence.

Penelope loves him and wants to protect him but from whom and why? This is the final book and I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be buying more of Elena Greene's books.
on 2 April 2012
I really enjoyed this book, in fact I couldn't put it down! Full of suspense and romance. The characters are very well drawn as is the plot. Some minor sex but not too lurid. Would recommend to fans of Romantic and Regency fiction.
on 16 January 2014
Delivery very quick from ordering. Very happy with it, Very entertaining read. I very much enjoy the storytelling quite enjoyable