on 8 September 2014
Total crap!

I used it for a while and noticed that when I had my phone connected to the stereo in the car as well as this, a lot of electronic noise would come over the speakers. This was partly engine noise caused by the alternator and partly a high frequency switching sound coming from the power supply.

I put my oscilloscope on there to take a look at the voltage it was outputting and it is all over the place! It spikes as high as 10 volts (it is supposed to output 5 volts for USB) and dips down to zero volts once every switching cycle (4,000 times per second). The switching frequency is right in the middle of human speech intelligibility, meaning your ears are most sensitive to it. That is why the noise on the stereo is so invasive and annoying.

In conclusion, it will annoy you, and probably damage your phone given how high the voltage goes sometimes. As soon as I saw how bad the output was I threw it away.
77 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 August 2014
I bought this thinking that with such good specifications that it would keep my Note 2 charged up in the car. My previous charger with 500mA seems better value. I had hoped that I would be able to use Google Maps (GPS) whilst charging. I went on a 75mile round trip starting off with 100% charge, came home with a 57% charge!!!!!!!
It indicates on the phone it is charging but obviously not. Very disappointed.
55 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 October 2012
I received this unit a couple of days ago and it has already failed. Despite working OK for a few hours, yesterday the charger made a feint popping noise and smoke came out of the USB sockets. The unit no longer provides power and has obviously just burnt out inside. I'm using it with an iPhone 5 (which it should support OK) so I'm not really sure this causes any issues. It claims to be able to charge an iPad which needs far more charge current than than an iPhone 5 so I'm surprised at it's failure. Amazon have no "please replace" option (refund only) so I will probably try a better brand next time.
66 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 September 2013
This charger is well made, looks quite snazzy and works very well indeed. It fits perfectly in my cigar lighter socket, which is a bit shallow and caused my old charger to regularly fall out. This one is a nice snug fit. Only tested so far on my Samsung phone but I'm sure it will work for anything else. The red LED is very subtle, something I appreciate when driving at night.

If you're having problems charging your phone then read on.
This was the second car charger I had ordered recently. The first was a Belkin - Micro Car Charger adapter 2100 mAh + ChargeSync cable for iPhone/iPod/iPad (F8Z689cw). This didn't appear to supply enough charge to my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and so ordered this PowerGen version. This seemed to have the same problem so running SatNav on my phone meant arriving at my destination with less battery than when I started. I was mystified and a bit disillusioned by these so called high current chargers until I stumbled upon the real culprit - the blooming cable!!! Turns out all but 2 of the many sync cables I own weren't able to supply the current needed to keep the phone charging. The original Samsung cable worked, also a very chunky flat cable I had did too, but all the others, including some other genuine Samsung cables didn't. I was amazed at discovering this fact, thought all these USB cables were basically the same. Seems like if you have a power hungry device you need something a bit chunkier to carry the current. So if you're having problems getting these chargers to supply enough juice, don't bin it, just try a different cable. Hope this helps.
P.S. Ordered VEO - Heavy duty MICRO USB DATA CABLE FOR BLACKBERRY SAMSUNG NOKIA HTC SONY ERICSSON - 1M black and can confirm this cable works well and is well made. They also make Apple versions too. K Bye x
33 Comments| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 April 2014
Well I purchased this to replace my fast charging dual usb adapter after the wife plugged the usb in wrong and snapped it. The first appearance is that it is well made, its smooth looks good and does not feel cheap.

The problems I have noticed with this are that it sticks out too much, the marking on the charger as NA means nothing, it should be labelled fast charge or slow charge so it makes sense to grandma.

The charger itself I have tested it on my android s2, s3 and s4, along with apple ipad 2 and iphone 4s and the charging power of the NA is always below 460ma, when testing the non NA I get <700ma. Disconnecting one or the other usb does not provide more power to the other socket.

So I thought it might be the cable and how it registers with the phone, changing cables etc does not fix this.
For the price you cannot argue but this charger does not output 3.6amps at all, I suspect this is a 1A max charger.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 20 November 2012
The Powergen Dual port car charger fits into your car cigarette lighter socket and enables you to charge your electronic devices whilst on the go.

There are two ports available marked up as S and A. The A port is specifically for Apple products such as ipad/pod and iphones. The port marked S is designated for all other compatible devices. The only device mentioned in the leaflet provided that cannot be charged is the Asus Transformer. There is no cable supplied with this charger so you must use the one supplied with your electronic device.

The charger fits nicely into the charging socket and feels solid enough with a good build quality and doesn't stick out too much in my opinion. When active there is a blue light emitted from the charger ports so you can see it's active. Delivering 2 Amps this is ideal for the quick charging of your power hungry devices such as ipad, Kindle Fire and tablet devices.
The devices I tried it on were-

Kindle touch-Worked on both ports.
Kindle Fire- Worked on both ports.
Apple ipad- Only in the A port.
HTC Desire HD- In S port
Sansa Clip mp3 player- In S port.

After using this for a few weeks I've found that the charger performed well using the devices mentioned and they were charged quickly enough even when two were charging simultaneously. Obviously when charging two devices they may take longer to fully charge than when being charged alone. There is a slightly more powerful and more robustly built version available in which you can also access the fuse PowerGen Dual USB 3.1A 15w Car Charger for Apple iPad 1 2 3, iPhone 4s 4 3 3Gs, Amazon Kindle Fire DX KeyBoard, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Google Nexus 7 (USB Cable NOT included) - BLACK

A good little charger, no complaints.

I was supplied this for review.
44 Comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 December 2017
BEWARE....The metal part screwed into the plastic unit came off causing sparks in the cigarette socket of my car. This directly damaged the display of the built in audio unit. This happened directly after the metal part came loose. A replacement unit on my civic would cost £1000.00. I don’t expect a response from Powergen but be aware that this charger may come apart over time!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 December 2012
I have tried charging my Galaxy Note 2 in both ports with two different cables and it isn't much use. Whereas a generic 12,000mAh battery pack I picked up while travelling in HK will charge the phone at the same 2.1A rate as the original charger - so it's not the phone software... Avoid if you have a Note 2.
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 May 2014
I bought this charger to power my then iPad 4 and then an iPad Air running Navionics navigation app on my boat. The charger did seem to charge the iPads, that is one at a time, but the power % always dropped, causing problems on long journey. I thought this power loss problem was probably caused because the iPad had to do so much running the Navionics app. On a recent trip, I had to turn the iPad off to let it recharge which meant I was travelling without charts, NOT good. On this recent trip which took 15 hours, I took along a TOMTOM charger as a backup which was only rated to 1amp, which much to my suprise, charge quicker than this so called 3+ amp unit. I have tried using non apple leads and the original supplied leads that came with the iPads which did not make any difference. On my return, after some quick checks on Amazon, I realised I should get a MFI certified charger. I purchased Veetop® Dual USB High Speed (MFI Certified) Car Charger UPGRADE 3.4Amp 17W - 2.4A & 1.0A smart charger, WOW, not only does the power % not drop, it fully charges the iPad at the same time as running the Navionics app, brilliant. Now I can go out to sea for hours and come back with a fully charges iPad. I will never buy another non apple MFI certified charger or lead.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 December 2016
I would avoid this product. It was great initially for powering one item but not two.

The sockets only fed through 0.5A and 0.8A when used together which is not enough to power my phone whilst using GPS and Net for navigating.

Recently (after about 1 year of use) even just my phone used a Navigation seems to have problems getting enough juice so I have replaced it with: 1byone QC 2.0 Car Charger, High Speed Charging 9.6A, 5V / 9V / 12V with 4-Port USB with Smart IC Chip, Safety Protection for Apple and Android Devices, Red & Black

P.S. I have been using the same cable.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse