on 30 January 2012
The reimagining of Sherlock by writers Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss has produced some of the best British drama in recent times. Aside from the fantastic acting and the brilliant writing, one of the best things about the show is the BAFTA and EMMY nominated score by David Arnold (best known for his recent scores to the James Bond franchise and 90s blockbusters Independence Day and Godzilla) and Matthew Price. Their music fits the show perfectly - modern but quirky, this is a master class in TV scoring. In case it isn't clear, this contains music for the three episodes of series 1 only. The link to the series 2 soundtrack is listed below.

The album begins with the opening titles, and the backbone of this theme is reprised in various forms across the album. I won't go into detail on every track (there are 19 in total). Some of my favourites were the wonderful "Opening Titles" (track 1), "War" and "Final Act" (Track 19), which plays over the climax of series 1. My favourite however, was "Elegy" (Track 12), which featured a great female vocalist during the middle section of the track before ending on a sombre piano and string note. Regardless of my opinion, the key thing is that all the best themes and motifs are present across the album.

The score lasts a little under an hour, and this is a decent length. Of course, more music was written for the show than can be heard on album so some cues are inevitably left out. Regardless, I thought the track selection was excellent and I doubt anyone could be unhappy with this release. The sound quality is fantastic as you would hope and expect.

The only negative thing - why on earth did it take so long to release this? Given it's critical acclaim by the public and critics alike, the wait for this release has been too long!

Overall, this is stunning work by Arnold and Price. The soundtrack works amazingly well in the show, and on album it makes for a fantastic listen. And if that wasn't enough, the music to the second series of the show is already available to preorder > Sherlock - Original Television Soundtrack Music From Series Two. But for now, if you liked the music as heard in series 1, this release contains the best selection of tracks. Do not hesitate to buy this brilliant soundtrack!
on 17 March 2013
Ordered this after power-viewing the Sherlock series (1 & 2) across a few days and now pining for Series 3 to be released. The CD is well done and features more music than I recall. Seems the show's producers really like "the game is on" and a few other themes, but the others are good supporting tracks as well.

Now I'm wondering how much difference there is in the Series 2 soundtrack?
on 7 June 2013
If you like Sherlock you will love this, bringing back images through the music of different parts within the episodes, Fun, boisterous, thoughtful are just three of the moods recreated...there is much depth in this CD.
on 17 January 2015
The only tune I really enjoyed was Pursuit. Some of the tracks were so quiet (War) had to turn my speakers up to the highest point to hear anything - I don't know whether this was intended or not. Very pricey for the music.
on 10 March 2012
I can highly recommend the soundtrack of Sherlock BBC Series One. It is really fun to listen to it.
If you have seen series one, you will be absolutely delighted about the soundtrack. Enjoy it!!!
on 18 March 2012
I love the main theme so much that I'd like it to be larger. Anyway, the score is quite good.

Some themes are a bit repetitive and some others would rather not appear at all... but overall it's a score I listen from time to time, so it's a good buy :-)
on 12 February 2013
Wanted this for ages and it sounded great. Exciting and atmospheric and beautifully written, I want to watch the series again!
on 26 February 2013
brilliant. love listening to it. being a fan of the series you will love this. as the music plays you picture when in the episodes the music was used. really nice and relaxing to listen to.
on 26 February 2013
This is such a beautiful soundtrack. I listen to it all the time, I'm so glad I bought it. In fact my alarm is the title sequence, something nice to get up to in the morning.
on 30 May 2014
I love the show and the music. It sounds excellent! and you don't need to be a fan of the serie to enjoy the music. It captures the spirit of the show. You will enjoy it.