Customer reviews

Collected Works (Illustrated)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.72

on 28 February 2018
A finely bound, quality collection of one of literature's most inspiring poetic visionaries.

I recently wrote about Gibran's "Thoughts and Meditations" that it is "one of the most poetic and inspiring works of literature ever. If you don't own it, you should. If you own it, learn the pieces that most resonate with you by heart. It's balsam for the soul and a beacon of spiritual wisdom." - and this holds true but is cranked up to 11 in this generous collection. Emotionally deep and lyrically outstanding. To give you a taste, here's just one of my many favourite passages;

"You were born together, and together you shall be forever more.
You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your
days.
Yes, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.
But let there be spaces in your togetherness.
And let the winds of heaven dance between you.
Love one another, but make not a bond of love.
Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
Fill each other’s cup but drink not from one cup.
Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but each one of you be
alone—even as the strings of a lute are alone though the quiver
with the same music.
Give your hearts, but not in each other’s keeping.
For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.
And stand together yet not too near together:
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cyprus grow not in each other’s shadows"
3 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2013
This is a nice book to hold and read, also has original illustrations included. For myself I would have liked the print to be a little larger, and therefore the book to be a little larger. I have only dipped into parts of it, and will continue to do so but am unlikely to sit and just go through it. I am glad to have it on my bookshelf though, and am finding Gibran was a more prolific writer of rare talent than I had appreciated.
9 people found this helpful
on 19 May 2012
I can't recommend this book enough. Gibran was a genius and this collection by Everyman is excellent. The book is beautifully illustrated in black and white by Gibran himself. Most people have only heard of his book 'The Prophet' which is a shame; his other works are just as compelling and as deep in thought. Whatever your beliefs, Gibran will stimulate your imagination and viewpoints on life.
12 people found this helpful
on 18 August 2017
Utterly amazing!

Khalil Gibran's writing has such an easy, free-flowing style to it, and yet it is still full of meaning and forces you to think for a considerable amount of time afterwards about meaning of what you've read.

This is truly a beautiful kind of poetry - it is often open to interpretation and different people will relate to it in slightly different ways.

Pure genius!
on 24 March 2014
Gibran's writings have been popular for many years and I purchased this excellent edition to replace an older copy of mine. Poet, philosopher and artist Kahlil Gibran's writings stir the soul. The Irish poet, mystic and painter George Russell 'AE', said of him "I do not think the East has spoken with so beautiful a voice since the Gitanjali of Rabindranath Tagore".
Words by "The Prophet" still are relevant today and reading this book will deepen your thought processes and leave you uplifted.
One person found this helpful
on 6 January 2014
This is a wonderful collection of the work of Kahlil Gibran. The more you read read him the more you learn and there is always something new to awaken that spiritual part in all of us. It helps one to find meaning in life struggles.
Absolute wonderful! I recommend it to anyone who wants to enrich their lives.
5 people found this helpful
on 9 September 2017
I have not read the entire book but I love it. I really enjoy the little 'snippets', as well as the longer chapters and texts. They make me think - and I don't always understand what he means but at least I try to work it out. A very gentle book of thoughts and prayers.
One person found this helpful
on 27 May 2016
Absolutely fantastic. I have been a fan of Kahlil Gibran for many years so to have all of the Works inone volume is superb.
2 people found this helpful
on 29 March 2018
Love this book. Anywhere I open it I find something what I can reflect about. Source of life wisdom.
on 3 June 2016
Very good value hardback book of the authors collected works. My particular favorite is 'The Prophet.'