Customer reviews

on 4 June 2013
If you are a fan of True Blood and the series it was based on you should find this book right up your street.Its not a copycat but its a new world where vampires, weres, shifters etc are out in the open,this was a recent event and is not to everyones liking.This is the first in the series and introduces some great characters, I especially like the fact that there are so many strong female characters I really enjoyed it, and am excited to find a new series I like so much, already downloaded the next book and can't wait to read it.
on 4 June 2012
Cameron's Law is not a typical paranormal story involving vampires and werecreatures. First off their existence has been revealed and the world is still reeling. The book follows Sadie Stanton, one of the first vampires to reveal herself and a driving force behind the passage of Cameron's Law (the law making preternatural creatures citizens). She runs a business helping the supernatural community and helping regular humans who have issues that may be supernatural.

Sadie is actually a pretty normal person, other than the liquid diet and no sunlight thing. She is dealing with trying to get her office staffed with all of the special ability people she needs to be an effective force for the good of the people. She is also recovering from heartbreak in the book meets an new potential love interest. If you are familiar with my reviews you know that kind of plot development can be a bit of a turn off for me, but Mia does it in a way that doesn't bother me. Sadie also has a pretty potent sarcastic streak which led to some amusing interactions between her and the other characters. Overall this was a bit of a new take on using paranormal creatures in a book and I really enjoyed the premise. I'll be checking into the second book fairly soon for sure.
on 10 January 2012
I read a short story by Mia Darien in the anthology, Wake Up Dead, and wanted to read more of her work. Cameron's Law didn't disappoint. As a matter of fact, it was refreshing to read a paranormal crime novel with supernatural characters that did not rely on gore and sex to propel the storyline. Darien actually took the time to write quality thriller with an abundance of nail-biting mystery and suspense.

Preternatural Expert Advisor, Sadie Stanton has opened her own agency to provide paranormal services and help supernatural citizens adjust to a more public life. She is also a vampire, and a major proponent of Cameron's Law, which gives rights to vampires, werewolves, and other species. She is assisted by a werewolf, Madison. The interaction between these two characters and others in their office pulled me into the story from the beginning of the novella. I was very eager to learn more about the fascinating world that Darien created; I have a serious appreciation for authors who fashion the settings before the characters, without relying on elaborate set-ups.

Detective Vance Johnston is a shape-shifter investigating recent attacks on werewolves by vampires. Concerned that the unrest will undo Cameron's Law, Vance and Sadie work with the leaders of the Pack and Coven to find out what has triggered the unsanctioned violence between the species. In the process, Sadie is framed for the murders of a slayer and a shifter, but she finds help in the unlikely form of a Hunter named Dakota.

The story is followed by a Guide to the Preternatural, which includes information on the array of characters within Cameron's Law: vampires, shape-shifters/shifters/were-creatures, humans with paranormal abilities (animators, necromancers, summoners, and psychics), and lesser-known species (theriomorph, fae & daemons).

I can't wait to read more by Darien!
on 25 February 2015
What I Thought

This was a really enjoyable book. I blended together preternatural creatures and human life well. I like that the whole premise of the story was that a law had been passed and the two were aiming to live together, in honesty and peace. It meant the others could come out of hiding and live a regular life, such as vampires. However, as the book begins to unravel its tale, we soon see that not everyone is happy about the new law, and some people are willing to go to depart measures to turn it round.

Throughout the book, we follow Sadie, a vampire who owns her own business, which often has her out solving myteries and helping other with preternatural situations. She is a no-nonsense, strong and lively (well as alive as a vampire can be) creature. It was great to read alongside her story and get to know her, as well as watch all the trouble she seems to find herself in.

I liked the plot and pace of this story. I already mentioned that I thought the whole bit about the law and blending of humans and creatures was brilliant. I haven't read a book with this focus before, and I found it fun. The pace was good, as it kept the adventure and the mishaps moving a long and definitely kept you guessing.

The characters had a decent amount of description, which made it easy to get a feel for what they were like, what they looked like and the surroundings.

I found myself becoming annoyed during some parts, when it felt as if the author gave us a scene, but didn't complete the story. One instance was where Sadie had gone to meet a housebound lady about her brother, she looked into it very briefly and then it was just left. However, as I came to find later in the book, it'll all make sense later. So, if you find yourself in the same position, just reading reading through and it'll all make sense later.

I did have a few small bit I didn't care for, such as some descriptive scenes just not piecing together, in my opinion. I also noticed a lot of the scenes noted that there was a lot of heading nodding going on. After it happened a couple times, it felt very repetitive, especially as the description wasn't actually necessary, and once it didn't even fit. However, I found it easy to look past these bits and the story was very fun.

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
on 24 February 2015
I received this book from Masquerade Book Tours in return for a fair and honest review.

This story is about a vampire who 'came out' and, along with a close friend, helped to revolutionise the paranormal movement. This was not without consequences and, as such, Sadie works away the night trying hard to grow her paranormal business.

From the very start, you are in the thick of the action and find out just how inconvenient being staked can be. Although not life-threatening (she is dead, after all) she reports it to the police and deals with a new detective who becomes the love interest. However, their romance certainly doesn't overshadow the rest of the story. In fact, for most of it, they're not dating as she is a suspect on multiple murders plus there's the whole cahooney of vampire and werewolf attacks. She doesn't really have time for romance!

Sadie is sharp, quick-witted and sarcastic - character aspects that I love in either the main male or female. Vance is the perfect foil for her and certainly can give as much as he takes. The supporting characters are all interesting in their own right but help to make the mystery part of this book more interesting.

A humorous and intriguing start to a new series. Recommended for all Paranormal Mystery Romance fans.
on 19 January 2014
This book got 5 stars because of the storyline and the way in which it was written - would read more in this line