on 13 March 2014
It has a couple of coincidences which mar the plot line, hence 4 stars rather than 5.

Against this it is an engaging read with some very interesting and colourful characters. As a born and bred Englishman I found the descriptions of the seedier side of life in North Carolina and some of the Deep South language absolutely fascinating. The Blue Mountain scenes were reminscent of Deliverance which is referred to in the text.

But best of all is the author's great sense of wry humour which had me laughing out loud on several occasions.

Well worth your time.
on 2 May 2016
Basically, this was a good read, but I've only given 3 stars because there were parts that I really didn't like, and actually, I didn't feel they were relevant to the story.

Early on in the book, there's a mention of animal cruelty (not necessary for the story) but I plodded on. I admit to being an avid animal lover and abhor abuse of any kind to any animal, so when I got a good way into the book, I wasn't at all impressed with several pages of, what I would term as casual cruelty to a chimpanzee.

Without giving too much away, this poor creature was old, partially blind and had whip scars on his back.

Unfortunately, this type of thing spoils the story for me. There is so much horrific cruelty to animals worldwide, that I really do not want to read a story with animal abuse in. I read to be entertained and animal cruelty is NOT entertainment.

Again, this wasn't at all relevant to the story and could easily have been omitted from the story.

At this stage, I gave up on the book. Shame because it COULD have been a good read.

I definitely won't be reading anything else by this author, it seems as if he has an interest in animal cruelty that I don't think is acceptable. I certainly won't recommend it either.
on 18 February 2014
...after reading the first chapter. But, it was a great book: entertaining, funny and fast-paced, with really interesting plots.

So, I nearly pressed 'delete' after the first chapter references of sexism (easy, sleazy women) and racism (the 'N' word), particularly being a) a female and b) modern and enlightened. However, prior reading of Tom Sharpe, Ed McBain and numerous detective stories have de-sensitised my sensibilities to bad language, sex and graphic images of crime. Yes, the references aren't PC, but there are genuinely lol moments in this book over the the interwoven stories. It needs to be read in context to be enjoyed. Great author and book - can't wait for the next!
on 8 May 2014
Brilliant book. Written in a language and style that the PC brigade and thought police would not like. It's in the style of the great
masters of crime fiction era 1940s-50s. Great plots and twists and hilariously funny in places. Could not put it down.
on 28 May 2014
I enjoyed it, it made me laugh (even thought you aren't supposed to think half of the things he says or does funny) and kept me entertained right up to the last page. Not fantastic but well worth a read.
on 7 March 2014
A very good storyline, believable characters well-described, and above all, the story is written with no concession to false political correctness. Phrases which make liberals go tut-tut are bandied about in context with no malice intended - it's how people really are; it doesn't make them monsters or racists. Quite a few typos which normally would irritate me, but this book was so engrossing that I didn't care. The main character is a private detective who has human flaws not usually associated with the hunky individuals usually seen on TV. He's a bit of a coward, doesn't mind turning a blind eye to anything so long as it's worth his while, and his primary concern is his own safety. All told with lots of humour. Definitely a character that this author could continue with.
on 7 July 2014
A great gumshoe novel.

There are many great things about this book, but one thing sticks out above all others.

The need to start reading the next chapter! Many of the chapters end with great lines that mean you have to keep reading. What a great literary technique.

Chapters not too long.

Stories all tied up.

Good characters.

Nice stories.

READ IT!
on 5 October 2014
My first thoughts was how funny it was ..it's not suppose this, but the ease of writing and storyline brings smile to my face. Some events you just have to laugh...So this book is an enjoyable, easy read a kind of holiday book it's relaxing and expressive in the scenery but not too predictable....yes something different (a new style of context), but recommend.
on 23 September 2014
A trainee detective, an overblown boss, both good and bad luck, and hefty fees, all are the substance of this at times, almost laughable, tale. Add the usual sex debauchery drugs and high society, and the mix is made.
on 8 April 2014
Picked up this title at random and for free and what I got was a really nice read fast paced, funny and witty. The story is basic but it's the style that makes this book. If you like old black n white detective movies then you'll like this book. I hope he has written others I'm off to check this our now...