on 6 March 2017
It took me a little while to get into this book, maybe because of the Sam Spade/Bogart style language at the outset. But it got much better with every page I turned. Clever detection with a fair amount of help from whizz-kid computer work help. I read it in one sitting. Loved the witty, humourous quips as well.
on 14 April 2017
I started reading this book and just kept going ,it was gritty and intriguing ,lot's of twists and characters ,weaving around the story ,thoroughly enjoyed reading this book .
on 17 May 2012
Enjoyed this one a lot. It's not a very long novel (devoured it in two straight evenings) and it's not exactly a complex plot, but in spite of that there's still a lot crammed into this little gem.

The first person narrative is what drew me in to this. I'm not usually a fan of the first person, so it's got to be good for me to get past the first paragraph. The voice in this was great though - shrewd, funny and able to deliver a fast, wise-cracking story with verve. There were several laugh out loud moments in this for me, in between the dead bodies, dubious clients and alibis. The dialogue especially is classic.

It's a real page turner and the narrative flows really nicely. One criticism I could make is that this same smooth pace runs on right to the end, making the solving of the case(s) seem a little too easy. The twists and turns are small ones, but I suppose that's in keeping with the size of the novel.

It's a fun read though, and I can recommend this. I'll certainly be reading the next in the series for more of Stanley's wry observations of the predicaments he finds himself in.
on 27 February 2014
A private eye with a drink problem and money worries is hardly a new scenario, and our hero finds himself in situations which are just outside the realms of credibility. However, Mr Stevens is an accomplished writer and his humorous treatment of the story helps you not to take things too seriously, but just go along with the yarn.
This is one of the few free kindle fiction books that I actually enjoyed and read right through with no speed reading.
A good, light read which persuaded me to buy the next two inexpensive books in the Bentworth series.
on 1 March 2014
Great book. I enjoyed it immensely. Stanley's sense of humour was very droll, and made me laugh out loud on more than a few occasions. Can't wait to read more of Stanley's exploits!
on 19 March 2014
This book is very well written I think most people would enjoy reading it I really got into the main character I didnt wantthe book to end cant wait to read more from Al Stevens
on 16 May 2014
I enjoyed this well developed story and the humour coming from the P I narrator. I was pleased with the grammar having read so many books in which the grammar has been poor. The only thing I can criticize is the fact that the book has not been studiously proof-read. I did not allow that to spoil a good plot and narrative which kept me interested and in which the characters and humour were maintained. Well done! I strongly recommend this book.
on 4 June 2014
I found this story very amusing and cleverly written. It had enough mystery in it to keep me in suspense and a humour that made me feel like I new the characters involved. Would recommend this book to anyone that likes a light hearted read without any gory stuff
on 29 November 2014
An interesting and entertaining story. Sounds like many other detective stories to start with - the middle aged ex cop with a drink problem, but it was humerous and kept me interested right through to the end. Give it a go!
on 20 March 2014
Great read I usually read other p I books but this one was funny as well as a good story and so fast there was not just one hero but it was so easy to follow and the pace of it was fast would read more by this author