Customer reviews

The Big Questions: Mathematics
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

VINE VOICEon 28 July 2015
Really good for inquiring minds and a very good read. If your child is good at maths this book could well inspire them to take the subject further.

Some of the topics went over my head but that is my fault not the book. Even so there was still plenty I could understand.

So if you are interested in imaginary numbers, different types of infinity and hotels with infinite numbers of bedrooms that are full then this is for you.

As a taster one section is about parallel lines meeting which I though was obviously impossible but then I was thing of a flat 2D surface. I never even considered parallel lines on a different shaped surface.
on 7 April 2015
I am not a mathematician and have no formal training maths since I went into a grammar school sixth form in 1948! However, I like a challenge and I am working through this book which is very interesting and from time to time I am surprised by maths that I knew nothing about and at other times sceptical about what seem to be directions that must cost much to achieve but have added little to our civilisation.That, of course, applies to many disciplines. Going is some times hard and I skip a bit from time to time but the basic discussion is very clear. Just one comment about the Kindle version: the fractions, often very important to scrutinise carefully, come out on my tablet as a near point 1or2 script.
on 10 March 2018
Very interesting book. Better for people who have started a degree in Maths, or are planning on pursuing one. For me, looking for an introduction to some more maths... I suppose its a good book to find subject names, and some interesting details on them that other books wouldn't provide. But you probably want to have completed A-Level or "High School" for this read.
on 24 April 2014
I have developed an interest in mathematics (in my 30's) after years of just needing to know enough to get by and do my job (I work in programming and computing). And I found this book very interesting at explaining core concepts and bringing things together. It;s not in-depth, but its a great read.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 March 2014
Quite a stimulating read. It brings a lot of things together, setting out ,for example,the importance of prime numbers in cryptography and how this is used in everyday life to make electronic communications secure. It also shows a little of how mathematicians think. Interesting section on whether at the end mathematics is actually true. Not obvious.
on 30 June 2016
Too difficult for me. Got half way through and had to abandon it. I have only O level Maths!
on 29 June 2011
This is one of the most lucid and readable books on maths that I have read. Highly recommended; 200 pages of "wonderment" and thin enough to slip into my holday bags.
7 people found this helpful
on 16 October 2014
With this content it has to be good
on 10 October 2013
This as all of the big question books is a fantastic and well written book, with easy to understand descriptions and explanations of varying topics. Gives you enough info for you to understand each section without going overboard.
One person found this helpful
on 3 May 2011
Again, all the usual suspects - but very well done; and treating the audience like adults even though written at a semi popular level. Fifty years ago, this sort of book encouraged me to go forward with maths and I hope this one does the same for some young people today
7 people found this helpful