on 9 June 2012
The norm for this kind of programme is to focus on how the animal life,us included,evolved and shaped the world around us.So its a refreshing change to see one that flips the coin,and gives us a view of the other side,shows us what happened before animal life evolved.How plants were the first to conquer the planet,and how they shaped evolution and forever altered the world we live on.This is the only kind of programme the BBC can consistantly make these days,their standards are the ones all others are judged by,so I knew technically it was going to be good.The only reservation I had was that it was being presented by Prof Iain Stewart,a brilliant man,and very knowledgeable,but not the most engaging presenter around.For me his style was always a little clinical and aloof,but not this time out.He fully engages the viewer,communicates his love of the subject matter and takes you on a wonderful journey of discovery.He couldnt be better believe me.

This is natural history at its very best,visually stunning and informative in the extreme.Feel free to look,but you wont find a better made programme,or one as enthralling as this one.
18 people found this helpful
on 9 October 2013
This DVD opens up our eyes to the role of plants as equal partners in the story of our planet's life. Partners equal to animals, the power of water, of the atmosphere, the Earth's interior that reveals itself through vulcanism, earth quakes and continental drift, and all this together with Sun and Moon with their force of gravity and solar rays. In a way this has all been known since our school days, when the teacher showed us impressions of ancient leaves in stone, brought up from coal mines. But here the knowledge is made more specific, filling in many details that most people have not been aware of. For example the relatively late arrival of flowers, and how such animals as bees can only have come into existence after the plant world invented the flower. Also the arrival of fruits, and how Man's ancestors developed color vision in order to be able to distinguish the bright colors of ripe fruit from the surrounding foliage. A great DVD. I shall now probably have to read David Berling's book "The Emerald Planet", where more detail is given.

A drawback of series like this, is that the information relevant to the subject matter is interspersed with sections of beautiful imagery combined with soft music, that leads the brain into a kind of dreamlike mode. When Iain Stewart's voice then returns, it is some times difficult to return to the mode of attentive listening to rational explanations. Hence frequent rewinds become necessary. For without registering the moderator's comments and explanations, the learning value of the material would be almost nil.
7 people found this helpful
on 5 May 2013
I found this to be a very interesting documentary about the origins of plants on our planet and how important they are to life on Earth. Without plants we would not have evolved. Professor Stewart fully engages with the viewer, presenting a most interesting and visually stunning account of the evolution of plants.
7 people found this helpful
on 8 March 2015
It is just a must for every School child, Student and non-Student....
To see the existence in a large scale is the urgent theme of the present time. Too much involving in iphone, Computer etc.etc. The Young Generation is in danger, and in consequence, the Society as a whole.
Iain Stewart is exposing his Body in various ways during the film. A strong message for Young People. To use Body (not finger-tips only) to experience reality is of utmost importance!! His didactic skills are admirable. The message of the Investigation is inspiring, uplifting in a rational, down-to-earth sense. I am looking Forward to see his DVD again and again. I also gifted it to several friends.
Thanks to the author and to all the People who made this work possible!
on 1 August 2017
Superb series filled with very interesting facts and information, presented in Dr Stewarts own inimitable style.
on 20 December 2017
Good.
on 11 October 2015
Really good series. Not totally current, it is a few years old, but a good series and interesting and enjoyable.
on 3 February 2017
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 6 March 2013
Incredible series covering a wide field of topics and very well put together!!! Great research, great explanations and typical amazing BBC series!!!
5 people found this helpful
on 18 December 2014
Exactly what I was looking for.....a great Xmas gift for a friend...right up his street as it were! So glad I found it.